Akeem Ayers currently in Rams park on a visit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Yes please....

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I liked Ayers coming out of UCLA but I haven't followed him in the NFL.

I'll have to trust in the regime on this one.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Nick Fairly is in the house too, though I think him needing to hire a personal trainer going into a contract year scares the hell out of me. That and he comes across as a flake

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
A former Titans second-round pick could be on the Rams’ radar.

Per multiple reports from St. Louis beat writers, the Rams could have interest in Patriots linebacker Akeem Ayers, PFT’s 59th-ranked free agent.

Both Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com and Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch have indicated St. Louis could eventually be in the mix for the 6-foot-3, 255-pound Ayers, who’s recorded 252 tackles and 13 sacks in 59 games (47 starts), the bulk of which came with the Titans. The Patriots acquired Ayers from Tennessee in October.

The Titans drafted Ayers three months after now-Rams coach Jeff Fisher left the franchise. In St. Louis, Ayers (6-3, 255) would likely be an outside linebacker in the club’s 4-3 scheme.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would love to get Ayers. He replaced Chandler Jones last year and in my opinion actually outplayed him. He had a pretty amazing stretch of games when he started. Perfect player for Gregg Williams as long as the cost is right.

adaystl3

UDFA
Name
ADSTL03
My free agent prediction: Britt, Barks/Blalock, Fairley, and Ayers. Could we afford all of them? Then ace this draft and on to the playoffs...

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I would love to get Ayers. He replaced Chandler Jones last year and in my opinion actually outplayed him. He had a pretty amazing stretch of games when he started. Perfect player for Gregg Williams as long as the cost is right.
Watch a lot of Patriots football do ya?

What was his role?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A former Titans second-round pick could be on the Rams’ radar.

Per multiple reports from St. Louis beat writers, the Rams could have interest in Patriots linebacker Akeem Ayers, PFT’s 59th-ranked free agent.

Both Nick Wagoner of ESPN.com and Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch have indicated St. Louis could eventually be in the mix for the 6-foot-3, 255-pound Ayers, who’s recorded 252 tackles and 13 sacks in 59 games (47 starts), the bulk of which came with the Titans. The Patriots acquired Ayers from Tennessee in October.

The Titans drafted Ayers three months after now-Rams coach Jeff Fisher left the franchise. In St. Louis, Ayers (6-3, 255) would likely be an outside linebacker in the club’s 4-3 scheme.
Sounds good to me, and it will help when it comes to the Draft!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Watch a lot of Patriots football do ya?

What was his role?

Only caught a few games, but he was noticeable.

Pass rushing OLB mostly from what I saw. Kind of like a Von Miller role. He'd play Sam here and can slide down to play 4-3 DE in the nickel too

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Only caught a few games, but he was noticeable.

Pass rushing OLB mostly from what I saw. Kind of like a Von Miller role. He'd play Sam here and can slide down to play 4-3 DE in the nickel too
Sounds like a fit for a versatile Gregg Williams D.

Anybody have a PFF grade for run defense?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
And who said our offense needs attention? Every FA coming in are to solidify our already stout defense. The draft better be all offense.

RamBill

Legend
Rams visiting with DT Nick Fairley, LB Akeem Ayers
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16993/rams-visiting-with-dt-nick-fairley

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams search for depth at defensive tackle has begun.

The Rams welcomed former Detroit defensive tackle Nick Fairley to Rams Park for a visit on Thursday afternoon. Fairley, who visited with the Cincinnati Bengals as free agency opened, would be another logical fit for the Rams defense should his price be right.

After releasing defensive tackle Kendall Langford before free agency to save money against the salary cap, the Rams were left with a defensive tackle group consisting solely of starters Michael Brockers and Aaron Donald. So it's pretty clear the team has a need for depth, though ends William Hayes and Eugene Sims both have experience moving inside.

It's also worth noting that Fairley played his college football at Auburn, which isn't a reason to sign any player but certainly doesn't hurt when it comes to the Rams.

Fairley represents an interesting case study. Taken one pick before Robert Quinn in the 2011 NFL draft, Fairley was considered one of the most disruptive interior players in that draft. His career since has been something of a roller-coaster.

In the time since, injuries and weight issues have prevented Fairley from fully reaching his vast potential. He posted 13.5 sacks in his four seasons with the Lions but also missed 18 games. In 2014, Fairley missed half the season with a pair of sprained knee ligaments and finished with 14 tackles, a sack and a forced fumble.

Fairley had his best seasons in 2012 and 2013 when he posted a combined 69 tackles and 11.5 sacks in 28 games. But the continued issues led to the Lions declining his fifth-year option, making him a free agent this offseason.

Presumably, if Fairley were ever to live up to his potential, he'd be able to do it in St. Louis where line coach Mike Waufle is one of the league's best. It's unclear what Fairley's market price might be, but a one-year "prove it" type of deal might make a lot of sense. And even if he didn't start in St. Louis, there'd still be plenty of reps for him along the way.

Langford, who spent most of the 2014 season as a backup, still played about 47 percent of the snaps. Assuming Fairley was doing what was asked, it stands to reason he'd be able to do the same or perhaps more in a rotation with Brockers and Donald.

Meanwhile, the Rams are also spending time Thursday with linebacker Akeem Ayers. As we discussed Wednesday, the Rams have had interest in Ayers and a visit was likely forthcoming. That visit is now taking place.

And yes, the Rams need help on the offensive line but visits with other players don't preclude them from finding help there. What might prevent that, though, is the fact some potential options are taking visits elsewhere. Center Stefen Wisniewski is in Seattle for a visit after stopping in Tampa Bay on Wednesday, and guard Justin Blalock is visiting the Lions.

The Rams have expressed interest in both and could still line up visits assuming one or both make it out of their current visits.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I'm glad we're in the mix for some LB and DL depth but I'm hoping we are able to pick up a starter on the offensive side of the ball considering the FO made it a point to dump Bradford's salary...all that extra money going to defensive back ups

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Fisher sure loves his Titans.. oh wait, he was drafted when Munchak was HC.