Air Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Have you guys seen any RB who hurdles defenders like Gurley? I mean he consistently does it and he gets up there!
Air Gurley.jpg

Attachments

• Air Gurley.jpg
    Air Gurley.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Air Gurley.jpg
    Air Gurley.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 101

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually cringe every time he does the hurdle thing. VERY athletic and all, but it seems like this tactic is ripe for a resulting injury.

jap

Legend
I actually cringe every time he does the hurdle thing. VERY athletic and all, but it seems like this tactic is ripe for a resulting injury.

I worry about that too, but the guy does have thighs as big as a lineman. I believe most defenders would be intimidated about colliding with that kind of mass at high speed.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
The one yesterday was a ball crusher....don't know how he jumped right up after that one.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one yesterday was a ball crusher....don't know how he jumped right up after that one.
I heard him say it was a hamstring hit and not the balls....This doesn't make me feel any better..

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I just worry that one day he'll leap and some other player will flip him, and he'll land wrong, and the Season, maybe his career will be over!

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wasn't he a high-hurdler in HS? Or just a 100--200 meter guy?

He was an incredible hurdler in high school, I think he set a state record. He also spent one spring on the track team at Georgia and set one of the fastest 60-meter hurdle times in school history. His track coach in high school said he absolutely had the talent to be in the Olympics.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was more about his use in the passing game, which I love. Witness how far downfield he was when he caught the go-ahead TD ... that wasn't just some checkdown/dumpoff or HB screen.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah... they showed it on the jumbo-tron and everyone gasped, then laughed.

He needs to be more judicious on that move... he will get injured if he's not careful.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

He needs to be more judicious on that move.

I cringe too. And he needs to forget about doing it, not be more judicious because as high off the ground as he is if a defender simply gets a hold of his leg hes going down face first or shoulder first from about 8-9 feet in the air. Concussion, shoulder injury, wrist injury from breaking the fall, torn up tendons......WAY to many possibilities for injury are possible. It makes the highlight reel but if I was McVay I'd be asking him to stop and reminding him prior to every game.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
All these defenders are instinctively going low. Gurley seems to instinctively want to jump them but it's a risky maneuver. Most of the time he hangs in the air for a second and another defender gets a shot on him.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All these defenders are instinctively going low. Gurley seems to instinctively want to jump them but it's a risky maneuver. Most of the time he hangs in the air for a second and another defender gets a shot on him.

I think a lot of it has to do with his size. When he is running at a defender he looks so big they instinctively go for his legs.

It has been said a lot before but you really don't understand how big Todd is until you see him in person. I met him while at Georgia and he is massive. He looks a lot bigger than 6'1" 227.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think a lot of it has to do with his size. When he is running at a defender he looks so big they instinctively go for his legs.

It has been said a lot before but you really don't understand how big Todd is until you see him in person. I met him while at Georgia and he is massive. He looks a lot bigger than 6'1" 227.

Very true. Especially when he gets into the 2nd level, there isn't any DB in the league that will take him on high when he is running full speed.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Yeah... and maybe it's better than taking cheap shots to the knees. Remember his acl injury. Anyway it is going to cause defenders some consternation about what to do to get him down.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You can’t tell a RB to change his instincts. If he decides to, that’s one thing. But here we were wondering where the 2015 Gurley went and now we have him. Let’s hope he doesn’t get injured but there are plenty of other ways a RB gets hurt. What if he makes a hard cut in that situation. Doesn’t that open up his knees? And how many defenders are going to try to remain upright when facing him? Will they have a tendency to take a bad position in order to not be made into a highlight?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
so true....

So many of these players are really larger than life....Like their 6'2 is much bigger than the normal 6'2....probably because of the muscle.....Tru looks huge...Ogletree...they look bigger in person...which seems strange because the tv is supposed to add 10 lbs???