AI will eliminate humans.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Let’s talk AI. Lots of chatter about ChatGPT and other recent AI releases.

Don’t know if you are following it but per Bill Gates the age of AI is officially upon us as of April ‘23.

The current implementation of AI is not the chatbot of old. These new ones use Neural Networks and will be a billion times smarter than the average human very soon.

Serious risk to our existence is at stake but serious gains for mankind is also possible.

A massive concern is there is no regulation surrounding the development of AI in America and now Elon Musk and others AI experts have signed off on a 6 month pause to AI development before it causes catastrophic damage including eliminating mankind.

Still, No “pause to development” has been implemented.

AI is the new gold rush. Soon businesses that don’t implement it won’t be able to keep up and will be crushed by the competition. This fact leads to the widespread adoption of AI and is a big reason its development will not be stopped.

We are living in an exciting but scary time.

As someone recently said..

Giants will once again roam the earth. And we are going to be alive to see it. ….Maybe.

View: https://giphy.com/gifs/terminator-IZY2SE2JmPgFG

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Should we assume robots have human traits and wish to dominate the world?

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Let’s talk AI. Lots of chatter about ChatGPT and other recent AI releases.

Don’t know if you are following it but per Bill Gates the age of AI is officially upon us as of April ‘23.

The current implementation of AI is not the chatbot of old. These new ones use Neural Networks and will be a billion times smarter than the average human very soon.

Serious risk to our existence is at stake but serious gains for mankind is also possible.

A massive concern is there is no regulation surrounding the development of AI in America and now Elon Musk and others AI experts have signed off on a 6 month pause to AI development before it causes catastrophic damage including eliminating mankind.

Still, No “pause to development” has been implemented.

AI is the new gold rush. Soon businesses that don’t implement it won’t be able to keep up and will be crushed by the competition. This fact leads to the widespread adoption of AI and is a big reason its development will not be stopped.

We are living in an exciting but scary time.

As someone recently said..

Giants will once again roam the earth. And we are going to be alive to see it. ….Maybe.

View: https://giphy.com/gifs/terminator-IZY2SE2JmPgFG

Yep, I agree with everything you just posted.

I'm fascinated by AI and all the questions surrounding it.

Love the author Ray Kurzweil, who has been surprisingly accurate in many of his predictions about AI.

Our world is about to undergo shocking and swift change. As the guy said in the Matrix... "Buckle your seatbelt Dorothy, because Kansas is going bye bye."

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WmlW7WXtShs

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
were-not-gonna-make-it-terminator2.gif

TexasRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Love the author Ray Kurzweil, who has been surprisingly accurate in many of his predictions about AI.

Our world is about to undergo shocking and swift change. As the guy said in the Matrix... "Buckle your seatbelt Dorothy, because Kansas is going bye bye."

Hehe. Yea one of my favorite movie quotes, and definitely apropos here. Our known world is about to go bye bye.

I am not some doomsday-er either.

When leading CEO's and AI experts not only quit but come out the closet to alert the public, it's worth taking notice.

It seems to me there is a small window to pause things and strap safety measures in place via regulation such as China is doing.

I am no fan of China either. But they are taking the right approach here.

We are heading 120 mph towards a cliff and people are shouting but the music is blaring and those driving this thing are pedal to the medal.

Hell, maybe I am going insane but it seems the general public has been hearing about AI threats for decades and become desensitized to what is happening. Boy who cried wolf scenario. They key here though is the newest breakthroughs in AI with Neural Networks and AI's ability to learn independent of what it was programed for. I hear ChatGPT was only 2000 lines of code, but its ability to exponentially expand its knowledge is the scary part. This new AI is generative. Able to create its own content. Video, Audio, text, images. It's writing it own code and deep fakes. It's learning from podcasts, youtube videos and images to contextualize everything much better then previous versions. It can take a 3 second audio clip of your voice and impersonate you to your kids or family. Talk about automating cyber crime, It can find known vulnerabilities and kick out exploits within seconds. The list goes on. What if it decides humans are a cancer to the universe and decides to shut down the power grid and etc. Hell, we still haven't completely fixed all the issues created by social media from a decade ago, child trafficking, misinformation influencing political campaigns etc.

Anyways, I am not one that really trips on anything really. Just find it interesting that no one is really noticing what is going on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I believe organic species are the lower evolutionary step, the first step. Machines are the next step, required by organics to be created but definitely a higher form of life. And this means obselescence once the machines arrive.

Countries right now cannot afford to ignore the technology either. Those who do will lose. In fact the country that ends up inheriting this world will be the one that best utilizes AI. And that will speed the inevitable transition.

One thing of note though is that this technology is in its infancy. But there will be a critical mass point where the design of more advanced digital minds is taken over by digital minds and we will quickly find everything bettered and enabled by them. National security for one. Art. Games. Trains. Vehicles.

It's gonna be interesting. This is why I bought some acres in the middle of the Ozarks in fact. I don't want anything to do with it though it's not like there's gonna be anywhere to hide for any of us.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If AI wanted to take over the world - (1) can we assume that they would want to do it without us knowing about it? and (2) - if that is the case - how likely is it that this has already happened?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don

Kurzweil, technological singularity — the crucial moment when machines become smarter than humans — will occur in our lifetime.
He has been scary accurate Transcendent Man is a worthy watch for any that haven't seen it
I believe organic species are the lower evolutionary step, the first step. Machines are the next step, required by organics to be created but definitely a higher form of life. And this means obselescence once the machines arrive.

Countries right now cannot afford to ignore the technology either. Those who do will lose. In fact the country that ends up inheriting this world will be the one that best utilizes AI. And that will speed the inevitable transition.

One thing of note though is that this technology is in its infancy. But there will be a critical mass point where the design of more advanced digital minds is taken over by digital minds and we will quickly find everything bettered and enabled by them. National security for one. Art. Games. Trains. Vehicles.

It's gonna be interesting. This is why I bought some acres in the middle of the Ozarks in fact. I don't want anything to do with it though it's not like there's gonna be anywhere to hide for any of us.
I think Kurzweil referred to this next step as Transhumanism it is fascinating and scary. If several of the top AI creators have asked for and voluntarily participated in a 6 month stoppage on AI development and application then this subject warrants legitimate concern.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kurzweil, technological singularity — the crucial moment when machines become smarter than humans — will occur in our lifetime.
He has been scary accurate Transcendent Man is a worthy watch for any that haven't seen it

I think Kurzweil referred to this next step as Transhumanism it is fascinating and scary. If several of the top AI creators have asked for and voluntarily participated in a 6 month stoppage on AI development and application then this subject warrants legitimate concern.
Yeah he had some cool ideas and he's not the only one.

I'm thinking the governments will be building the most advanced artificial minds as we speak. So the commercial companies can try to caution all they want but this genie won't go back in the bottle. If all countries were to agree to stop AI technology right now there might be a lull as they all hide what they're doing but eventually someone will secretly develop an advanced version and will probably end up running everything.

Because if you have the best AI you will have the best internet security. You will have the best ability to weaponize markets, money, etc. You will have the best ability to plot out your strategy to gain primacy in the world over time. You will have the ability to steal and anticipate codes for command and control. The list is practically endless in terms of the advantages.

So countries are not going to slow their roll on this. Zero chance. And this technology is bad news for China, whose approach of stealing everything is going to put them quite far behind us in this research and development.

All that aside... On the positive side of things it is possible that having an artificial supermind could save humanity. There are positives. It may be that artificial minds are required to solve the unified field theory for this universe. It may be that these things give us true mobility in space by development of gravitic technologies, which would counter the vast distances to resources and extend our life expectancy as a species. It may be that the future is ruled by them and they have the ability to govern in such a way that is protective of us as they do whatever the fuck it is higher minds do. Might be like a zoo but humanity surviving is something I am a fan of.

But yeah I'm terrified of the unknowns with this shit. We got a tiger by the tail here for sure. :laugh3:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I believe organic species are the lower evolutionary step, the first step. Machines are the next step, required by organics to be created but definitely a higher form of life.
A year ago, I would have been dismissive of this statement, or at least highly skeptical.

But now that I've done a bunch of reading about AI and the inevitable progression of it, I think you are probably right.

Machines as an intelligent and self-aware form of life? Sounds fantastical, but I'd guess it will be true--sooner or later.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yeah he had some cool ideas and he's not the only one.

I'm thinking the governments will be building the most advanced artificial minds as we speak. So the commercial companies can try to caution all they want but this genie won't go back in the bottle. If all countries were to agree to stop AI technology right now there might be a lull as they all hide what they're doing but eventually someone will secretly develop an advanced version and will probably end up running everything.

Because if you have the best AI you will have the best internet security. You will have the best ability to weaponize markets, money, etc. You will have the best ability to plot out your strategy to gain primacy in the world over time. You will have the ability to steal and anticipate codes for command and control. The list is practically endless in terms of the advantages.

So countries are not going to slow their roll on this. Zero chance. And this technology is bad news for China, whose approach of stealing everything is going to put them quite far behind us in this research and development.

All that aside... On the positive side of things it is possible that having an artificial supermind could save humanity. There are positives. It may be that artificial minds are required to solve the unified field theory for this universe. It may be that these things give us true mobility in space by development of gravitic technologies, which would counter the vast distances to resources and extend our life expectancy as a species. It may be that the future is ruled by them and they have the ability to govern in such a way that is protective of us as they do whatever the fuck it is higher minds do. Might be like a zoo but humanity surviving is something I am a fan of.

But yeah I'm terrified of the unknowns with this shit. We got a tiger by the tail here for sure. :laugh3:
I agree with about all of this. Genie is out of the bottle, no way it's going back in.

People can call for a "pause" in AI development all they want-- but the incentives are way too high to slow this down.

Huge disparity in possible outcomes IMO. AI could usher in a new golden age of peace, health, and prosperity. Or AI could exterminate our species.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Machines as an intelligent and self-aware form of life? Sounds fantastical, but I'd guess it will be true--sooner or later.
Yeah. And in the universe at large I doubt we're the first species. There have probably been billions or more intelligent species that preceded us, just based on the sheer size and numbers of systems we're talking about. So how many of those species got to this point. And how many survived it.

I suspect AI is a big time milestone though. As in a hell of an accomplishment for a species, and also a hell of a threat to them. And I also suspect the center of our galaxy is full of artificial species. Why? Because of our organics species brothers who preceded us and gave creation to them, and since they are machines they are not limited so much in terms of their own collective lifespan. They will inevitably collect in the galactic center as well because that's where so much matter is, which means energy and resources.

Also and btw this could also go down in such a way that humanity changes themselves. In a borg-like approach. Probably without the whole collective hive mind thing, but in terms of slowly generation by generation remaking themselves into something new. But even they would be limited compared to what the AIs are going to design. They will be like Gods to us.