After arbitration, CVC will have big decision to make

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2012, 5:43 PM EDT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-to-make/

[flv]http://msnbc.vo.llnwd.net/l1/video/flash/s_nbc_nfl_pftliveflorioramsstadium_120615.flv[/flv]

It’s fitting that in this age of maximum NFL involvement in the litigation process the fate of the Rams in St. Louis will be determined in large part by a form of litigation.

Actually, arbitration has become a popular alternative to full-blown litigation, allowing parties to resolve differences through a private process that keeps cases out of the courts — which in turns makes the courts very interested in private parties using arbitration.

In St. Louis, with the Rams and the Convention and Visitors Commission unable to agree on what it will take to make the Edward Jones Dome a “first-tier stadium,” three arbitrators will now hear each side out and come up with a plan for placing the venue at least within the top eight of all NFL facilities.

Once the arbitrators, who will be selected by the two sides with the only disqualifying factor being residence in Missouri (where the team now plays) or California (where the team could eventually move), reach a decision, the CVC will have 60 days to decide whether to accept it.

If the CVC accepts the plan, the Rams must stay put for 10 more years. If the CVC rejects it, the Rams can terminate the lease, converting the situation to a year-to-year arrangement that would allow the Rams to leave after any given season.

Setting aside for now the wisdom of the Rams or the CVC agreeing to this process when the Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995, both sides did — and now both sides must proceed with arbitration, the outcome of which will go a long way toward determining whether the team will stay or go.

And until the Rams make it clear that, no matter what, they won’t be leaving, there’s every reason for folks in St. Louis to worry about the outcome. But if the Rams want the CVC to ultimately accept the decision issued by the arbitrators, the Rams have to create the impression that, without the upgrades, the Rams will leave.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Didn't know the arbitrators had to be from NEITHER Mo nor Cali, but aren't there IL interests hoping to court the Rams to move to the "east side"?

I just think Florio is not so "inside" here as he wants us to accept because at this point if a writer doesn't include the Fenton Chrysler plant angle he's ignoring too much.

I spent the last week in Columbia , MO at a Missouri University Wrestling team camp. While there I saw several For Rent signs in downtown Columbia listing "The Kroenke Group" as the land lord.POINT?

Talking about the Rams and where they are going to play in the future without including what Stan's main line of business is misses the mark. He didn't MAKE his fortune being a tenant. It's kind of like discussing the Saints and wondering where the team limo's came from or figuring the Falcons buy building materials at Lowes.

The City of Fenton MO stands ready to GIVE 300 acres of land to Kroenke to build a stadium on and will probably forgive the taxes as well.IF The Kroenke Group builds a stadium there it will also have enormous room for further development surrounding it which again is Kroenke's main line of business. JMO if his team is going to be a tennant the land lord will be very accommodating or it will be The Kroenke Group.

One thing I'm confused about here the article mentions IF the CVC rejects the arbitrators decision ,do the Rams NOT have that option?

tagfeet

UDFA
To my understanding if the CVC accepts the offer of the Arbitration then then it is binding and the Rams have to stay another 10 years in the Dome.

If the CVC accepts the Arbitration offer and goes before the tax payers and the Tax payers turn it down in a vote then the Rams are free to leave after the 2014 season.

If the CVC rejects the offer (Which they have 60 days after arbitration to decide) then he Rams are free to leave....from my understanding!

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
tagfeet said:
To my understanding if the CVC accepts the offer of the Arbitration then then it is binding and the Rams have to stay another 10 years in the Dome.

If the CVC accepts the Arbitration offer and goes before the tax payers and the Tax payers turn it down in a vote then the Rams are free to leave after the 2014 season.

If the CVC rejects the offer (Which they have 60 days after arbitration to decide) then he Rams are free to leave....from my understanding!

So if CVC says A and Rams say B when arbitrator says C then ONLY CVC has to accept? THAT sounds somewhat one sided

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Said it before, I really can't abandon the team if they move. I prefer they stay in St. Louis.

Or hell, move 'em to Oklahoma. :mrgreen:

Instant season ticket holder here then.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Angry Ram said:
Said it before, I really can't abandon the team if they move. I prefer they stay in St. Louis.

Or hell, move 'em to Oklahoma. :mrgreen:

Instant season ticket holder here then.

For me WATCHING THEM I'm better off if they move cuz Sunday ticket blacks out if they don't sell out ,I'm too close ,and yeah until......but when the Jags move into the dome, gotta go with the new team, I've dropped the Cards and if the Rams don't want US then JMO I'm a chump to follow them once another team does want "US".
It'd take time , but I expect Kroenke to be here his HOME is Columbia MO, IMO he's planning to have a soccer franchise here too.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Thordaddy said:
tagfeet said:

So if CVC says A and Rams say B when arbitrator says C then ONLY CVC has to accept? THAT sounds somewhat one sided
That depends on what C equals. Considering the funds St Louis would be required to raise--in a struggling economy--one can understand why the pendulum swings in their direction.

Considering that Kroenke is a billionaire in real estate, the option of the Rams moving out of the dome into a new local structure isn't that great for the CVC either.

How good would that white elephant sitting in downtown look without the Rams pushing for upgrades?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Memento said:
BuiltRamTough said:
The real fans are in LA

No, the real fans are everywhere.
True. I bet I can out-fan thousands of LA cats too.

And I'm in Florida. :cheese:

tagfeet

UDFA
Thordaddy said:
tagfeet said:

So if CVC says A and Rams say B when arbitrator says C then ONLY CVC has to accept? THAT sounds somewhat one sided.

The Arbitrators "C" option is the only option at this point because the talks ended with boths sides Millions apart....in my opinion...no sports team is worth taking taxpayer dollars away from police and education in the St. Louis area! Just sayin

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
tagfeet said:
Thordaddy said:
tagfeet said:

So if CVC says A and Rams say B when arbitrator says C then ONLY CVC has to accept? THAT sounds somewhat one sided.

The Arbitrators "C" option is the only option at this point because the talks ended with boths sides Millions apart....in my opinion...no sports team is worth taking taxpayer dollars away from police and education in the St. Louis area! Just sayin
It's not really one sided, if anything it's one-sided against the CVC. The reason is that the team already signed a 30 year lease, this is just a loop hole in it. There shouldn't have been a loop hole to begin with. The CVC have only theirselves to blame for that one.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
brokeu91 said:
tagfeet said:
Thordaddy said:
tagfeet said:

It's not really one sided, if anything it's one-sided against the CVC. The reason is that the team already signed a 30 year lease, this is just a loop hole in it. There shouldn't have been a loop hole to begin with. The CVC have only theirselves to blame for that one.

Nah - I think the TAXPAYER has only the CVC to blame for that one. They wanted a football team during a good economy that they were willing to bend over and take a deal that anyone would have to know would be problematic in the future should the economy even cool a little.

Now I guess we'll see how it plays out. And to Thor - That is the way it reads. If it goes to arbitration, the CVC has the final say in accepting the deal. Stan would be bound by the arbitration if the CVC accepts. Now we have to see what the arbitrators view as top tier. If they are closer to the CVC's offer then I guess the CVC wins and Stan is stuck for 10 years. If the CVC rejects, I wouldn't count on Fenton. They would still be years out and the taxpayers would still have to pony up in today's world.