After 3 games, some questions I have...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
A stream of consciousness thing in no particular order.

On D.

Where to start? Ummm, did Polite run over Staley’s dog or something? Only 2 snaps, I believe, in 3 games at a position where Ebu is rated worst in the league and Obo is sucking? Seriously? I’d be giving Hollins a lot more snaps, too. Anybody else with a damned pulse, really. I mean, WTH do they have to lose?

I hope Snead is burning the midnight oil trying to line up a trade for a vet edge player as a potential one year stopgap solution at edge. Too risky to count on Lewis just yet, don’t you think?

Why is Hill still starting either outside or in nickel? He particularly sucks at nickel. Our upcoming schedule of relatively weak teams offers an excellent opportunity to give Burgess and/or Long some opportunities to show that they would be upgrades. Hill is a goner next year anyway, so again, what do we have to lose?

Gawd, I hope that Staley is reintroducing the secondary players to each other this week. They played that first half and that final drive as if they never practiced together before. It was beyond embarrassing. Never seen so many blown coverage assignments.

Staley can’t afford to wait until mid-3rd quarter to dial up blitzes against good QB’s. Staley has GOT to find some pressure somehow, some way.

As to ST, I hate to sound like a broken record but Kupp as designated PR with players like Webster and Calais sitting on the bench is a mistake on multiple levels.

Offense is really humming, so no questions there for me. It appears that Boom will return as backup at both OG and LOT since Edwards kinda slammed the door on the LG ‘debate’. Akers, when healthy, will return in a rotation with Hendy, but Hendy definitely seems to have the inside track for ‘starter’ position.

That’s about it for my list of meaningful questions.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO Hendy & Akers are going to look like Kamara & Ingram did for New Orleans a couple years back. Hendy is the Kamara type (he will be used more in the passing game moving forward too), and Akers can handle that Ingram role plus bring a little speed to the equation. Behind this line the carries will be there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Staley can’t afford to wait until mid-3rd quarter to dial up blitzes against good QB’s. Staley has GOT to find some pressure somehow, some way.
What's funny with fans and fan sites is that IF the ref hadn't flagged Williams on 4th down, or IF Burgess hadn't slipped on 3rd down, everyone would be glowing with the huge comeback win and there wouldn't be nearly the same take on Staley as I'm reading on Rams sites right now.

Two games in we knew the pass rush was an issue, hell we knew it before the season just looking at this roster. It just took Buffalo's QB gunning the fucking football all over the field while we tried to tackle him to bring it to the fore.

Take it easy on Staley 43. He's not an idiot, no way he is if McVay hired him. We're 2-1 and things look pretty damn good from where I'm sitting. Staley is probably going to need another draft to help him field a team that can best execute that scheme. Until then it's gonna be smoke and mirrors with our secondary hopefully bailing us out by limiting opposing passing games. Our secondary definitely has the talent to do that for us.

Ram65

Legend

Generally speaking. I don't think it's as much love for Polite as frustration that Ebu and Obo get no push/pressure off the edges in the pass rush.

Me personally he was considered by many as the best pass rusher out of his draft class. He is very quick off the snap and has a high motor. He is one of my draft favorites for the Rams who needed pass rushers last year. He also had the interview problems with other teams but, liked the Rams.

We can look at this in a couple of ways. Looks like the Rams made a mistake with Noteboom over Edwards. Maybe they underestimate Polite. Many members don't see a negative in giving him some snaps as he can't really be much worse than Ebu and Obo.

Looks like the Giants and Washington would be a good spot to see what he can or can not do. He did get pressure on one of his two snaps. If he doesn't show anything no harm no foul.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

It’s not that I ‘love’ Polite, flv. It’s more of a ‘what do we have to lose’ kinda thing.

Ebu is the known, but he’s sucking through 3 games. I’m reminded of Einstein’s definition of insanity. I’m ready to try a revolving door tryout process at edge now, especially with the light schedule just ahead.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What's funny with fans and fan sites is that IF the ref hadn't flagged Williams on 4th down, or IF Burgess hadn't slipped on 3rd down, everyone would be glowing with the huge comeback win and there wouldn't be nearly the same take on Staley as I'm reading on Rams sites right now.

Two games in we knew the pass rush was an issue, hell we knew it before the season just looking at this roster. It just took Buffalo's QB gunning the fucking football all over the field while we tried to tackle him to bring it to the fore.

Take it easy on Staley 43. He's not an idiot, no way he is if McVay hired him. We're 2-1 and things look pretty damn good from where I'm sitting. Staley is probably going to need another draft to help him field a team that can best execute that scheme. Until then it's gonna be smoke and mirrors with our secondary hopefully bailing us out by limiting opposing passing games. Our secondary definitely has the talent to do that for us.

‘Oh, I’m still a big Staley fan, Merlin. I’m just frustrated.

I’m seeing a legit SB window here IF Staley can ‘fix’ our lack of pressure problem. I’m confident that the secondary cohesion problem will be fixed by the Giants game. Pretty much seemed to be fixed at halftime vs Bills, actually.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn

Uhm Joseph Noteboom Fans +1 Coaches -1
Kurt Warner had tons of coaches looking at him, but thrown in because they had too and he lit it up.
You don't really know how a player plays until you let them play.

Ram65

Legend

How about screw the coaches and let me see for myself.

Seriously, I bet the Rams could give Polite half the snaps @ROLBer in place of Ebu and the game outcome against the Giants wouldn't change by much and the Rams wouldn't be in jeopardy of losing the game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
A stream of consciousness thing in no particular order.

On D.

Where to start? Ummm, did Polite run over Staley’s dog or something? Only 2 snaps, I believe, in 3 games at a position where Ebu is rated worst in the league and Obo is sucking? Seriously? I’d be giving Hollins a lot more snaps, too. Anybody else with a damned pulse, really. I mean, WTH do they have to lose?

I hope Snead is burning the midnight oil trying to line up a trade for a vet edge player as a potential one year stopgap solution at edge. Too risky to count on Lewis just yet, don’t you think?

Why is Hill still starting either outside or in nickel? He particularly sucks at nickel. Our upcoming schedule of relatively weak teams offers an excellent opportunity to give Burgess and/or Long some opportunities to show that they would be upgrades. Hill is a goner next year anyway, so again, what do we have to lose?

Gawd, I hope that Staley is reintroducing the secondary players to each other this week. They played that first half and that final drive as if they never practiced together before. It was beyond embarrassing. Never seen so many blown coverage assignments.

As to ST, I hate to sound like a broken record but Kupp as designated PR with players like Webster and Calais sitting on the bench is a mistake on multiple levels.

Offense is really humming, so no questions there for me. It appears that Boom will return as backup at both OG and LOT since Edwards kinda slammed the door on the LG ‘debate’. Akers, when healthy, will return in a rotation with Hendy, but Hendy definitely seems to have the inside track for ‘starter’ position.

That’s about it for my list of meaningful questions.

I agree with all of your musings.

I too hope can figure out help on the edge, but at what cost? Maybe Hollins is it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
IRT Polite, some guys just show up on Sundays. I don't see the harm in giving him (and Fox, and Gaines, etc.) more reps the next two weeks to see what works.....but what do I know....I'm just a fan.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Well seeing as it is a new defense maybe the DC thinks the players he is putting out there could use all the reps they can get.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn

Kurt Warner Amsterdam Admirals 1998

Highlights of future NFL Hall of Fame QB Kurt Warner in action for NFL Europe's Amsterdam Admirals in 1998 where he led the league in passing yards (2,101) and touchdown passes (15).

But Kurt Warner honed his skills in the Arena League with the Iowa Barnstormers. The fast paced action of the Arena league was where he gained his accuracy and his quick release.

Ram65

Legend

I wasn't advocating playing Polite early or that much but, some quality snaps who be fine. My point is it would not make a difference in the outcome if they did. I gave what are my reasons and possibly other members reasons for wanting to see Polite get some more snaps. It's obvious you don't agree which is fine however, I don't see any similarities between your example and this week's game.

The Rams vs the Hags was the Jeff Fisher Super Bowl for the year. He got the Rams fired up for a divisional game. The problem was he couldn't do it every week. This is a Giants team that is banged up without Barkley that just got their butts kicked by the second string Whiners team at home 36-9. They are right with the Jets at the bottom of the league.

San Francisco played a near flawless game as Mullens hit 25 for 36 passes, including a 19-yard TD pass to running back Jeff Wilson. It outgained New York 420-231, held the ball for 39:44 and forced three turnovers without giving the ball up. The Giants did not run a play in the red zone.

Edit: Could be Polite is cut if and when Terrell Lewis is added to the 53 man roster.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I’m sure that the coaches see it.

I’m just frustrated. And kinda venting.