Advantages to bringing Mad Mike home

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher is completely hands off with his coordinators so if Martz is told he has full control and he likes what he see with all the weapons and Bradford then he might be intrigued.
Therein lies the rub to me.

I think Fisher allows his coaches a lot of leeway until and unless... things start to deteriorate.

Then, I think he steps in and his word is final. Like what happened to the defense under Walton in 2013... like what happened when the spread offense sputtered.

Let's say he hires Martz... let's him desgin an open passing offense and it sputters.

I can't see Martz taking orders from Fisher to change everything up and go heavy run, for example.... I just don't think that's in Martz... I could be wrong.

Just thinking out loud... like I said, I do not see this happening, for the above reason and probably others.

Athos

Legend
Unless we have a top 5 offensive line....I'm not sure I'd want Martz, and I do like him as an OC.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
This would be by far my 1st choice, but it aint going to happen, unfortunately.

nighttrain

Legend
1. No change of system required.

2. He would be invaluable to helping the Rams take the right QB for the Coryell scheme. Few coaches have his acumen when it comes to QBs and QB play, along with estimating what they are capable of. His presence in the Rams draft prep process would give their board a much higher chance of producing the right guy in this draft.

3. Rams have enormous depth of weapons for Mad Mike to dictate to defenses. Austin alone... I can only imagine Mad Mike getting him isolated out of the offensive backfield into routes, or even just forcing defenses to crap their pants with Quick/Bailey/Britt/Cook playing fast due to knowing WTF they are doing.

4. Martz was at his best with a calm and controlled head coach above him in Vermiel who took care of all the details and kept him in a place where he could be the mad scientist OC. Fish is similar in makeup with Vermiel in that way.

5. Martz is not only one of the most knowledgeable QB coaches, but WRs as well. Him running the offensive show would mean instant return on the young WRs the Rams have invested in that for the most part did not make enormous strides under Schotty.

6. Martz is known for being very harsh on depth QBs and developing them well. Big return for the guy the Rams undoubtedly do draft.

7. No worries over teams wanting to hire Martz away, which is what you have if the Rams hit on a hot young OC. Martz and Williams as coordinators give the Rams production and a bright future with less risk of being poached by other teams.

8. Mike has a lot to prove. He is hungry to show the league that has taken much of what he did and ran with it that he still has it. His decisions to coordinate for weak head coaches was his downfall, and under Fish he'd have the right ability to run his show without fear from the head coach.

9. The move feels right. Dude is one of the greatest coordinators this franchise has had, and he's out there and available and being ignored by the NFL. Timing is everything.

10. I'll say it right now... IF Fish hires Martz, which is a ridiculous longshot I admit, he will win his super bowl with the Rams.
This is a no brainer for the Rams, front office should get it done
train

nighttrain

Legend
sailing_away.jpg
ships always return to their home port!
train

Memphis Ram

Legend
I meant that they're suited for a more exciting explosive offense, not that they can't do the ground game. And what Mason did at Auburn doesn't matter anymore. Can't you see him getting the ball in the open field like Faulk used to do? Or Cunningham as well. Cook, Mason, Austin, Bennie, Quick, Britt if he returns, Stacy, Bailey. You don't think a route runner like Bailey wouldn't flourish in that scenario? We're getting to have more weapons than Fisher knows what to do with IMO. Course we need a QB, C, and guard. But we need those no matter what we run. I know it's wishful thinking, but we need a bold offense to set us apart from the rest of the NFC West. We all have defense. We need to score more than Seattle and Arizona are capable of. Otherwise we're going to keep having these 12-6 toss-up games.

Perhaps.

But, I don't believe that Mason is anything close to the receiver/route runner that Faulk was then. Cook doesn't block well consistently, but neither did Frank Wycheck. And Austin isn't close to be the route runner that Martz requires.

I guess that potential is there, though. But, that's just it, potential.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Perhaps.

But, I don't believe that Mason is anything close to the receiver/route runner that Faulk was then. Cook doesn't block well consistently, but neither did Frank Wycheck. And Austin isn't close to be the route runner that Martz requires.

I guess that potential is there, though. But, that's just it, potential.

Mason isn't close, but we don't have to be EXACTLY like the GSOT. Mason and Austin combined could do most of what Faulk did. Cook Britt and Quick are never going to look exactly like Bruce and Holt. But this can be a very dynamic offense. IMO just as easily as a ground pound. So why not go dynamic? Are we afraid of going 6-10 with a different style? We're already bringing up the rear. We literally have nothing to lose.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Mason isn't close, but we don't have to be EXACTLY like the GSOT. Mason and Austin combined could do most of what Faulk did. Cook Britt and Quick are never going to look exactly like Bruce and Holt. But this can be a very dynamic offense. IMO just as easily as a ground pound. So why not go dynamic? Are we afraid of going 6-10 with a different style? We're already bringing up the rear. We literally have nothing to lose.

They've got nothing to lose finally getting to the run first / play action passing offense that never developed either.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Here's the one thing I don't like about Martz .... he gets his QB's KILLED. They put up great #'s for awhile, but eventually the pounding takes it's toll on them and they go into a shell. No thanks.

jap

Legend
Here's the one thing I don't like about Martz .... he gets his QB's KILLED. They put up great #'s for awhile, but eventually the pounding takes it's toll on them and they go into a shell. No thanks.

That's why he needs a strong head coach to reign him when he gets the passing jollies.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
That's why he needs a strong head coach to reign him when he gets the passing jollies.
I agrre but ... I doubt Fisher is looking for someone he has to "reign in". I think he wants someone who will "buy in" to his philosophy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agrre but ... I doubt Fisher is looking for someone he has to "reign in". I think he wants someone who will "buy in" to his philosophy.
I agree, BUT, Fisher has to be like Vermeil, in this case, and be willing to adapt his philosophy to the New Football Era!
tempAP00072901143--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
It could lead to better days!?!
tempAP0909030347190_48--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Therein lies the rub to me.

I think Fisher allows his coaches a lot of leeway until and unless... things start to deteriorate.

Then, I think he steps in and his word is final. Like what happened to the defense under Walton in 2013... like what happened when the spread offense sputtered.

Let's say he hires Martz... let's him desgin an open passing offense and it sputters.

I can't see Martz taking orders from Fisher to change everything up and go heavy run, for example.... I just don't think that's in Martz... I could be wrong.

Just thinking out loud... like I said, I do not see this happening, for the above reason and probably others.
martz might adapt to his players, mason and cunningham have great dive ability with a little space (upgraded line). good RBs that can catch out of the back field and down field a bit (lesser version of Marshall). bradford can use some play action to go deep to his big guys and quick big TE's across the middle. work on Cooks hands and forget about the great Gronk. If GRob can get 7o percent of Orlando Pace thats great. Just use everything we got on a monstrous line for Bradford and the RBs and a little piece or two on D.