Advantages to bringing Mad Mike home

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1. No change of system required.

2. He would be invaluable to helping the Rams take the right QB for the Coryell scheme. Few coaches have his acumen when it comes to QBs and QB play, along with estimating what they are capable of. His presence in the Rams draft prep process would give their board a much higher chance of producing the right guy in this draft.

3. Rams have enormous depth of weapons for Mad Mike to dictate to defenses. Austin alone... I can only imagine Mad Mike getting him isolated out of the offensive backfield into routes, or even just forcing defenses to crap their pants with Quick/Bailey/Britt/Cook playing fast due to knowing WTF they are doing.

4. Martz was at his best with a calm and controlled head coach above him in Vermiel who took care of all the details and kept him in a place where he could be the mad scientist OC. Fish is similar in makeup with Vermiel in that way.

5. Martz is not only one of the most knowledgeable QB coaches, but WRs as well. Him running the offensive show would mean instant return on the young WRs the Rams have invested in that for the most part did not make enormous strides under Schotty.

6. Martz is known for being very harsh on depth QBs and developing them well. Big return for the guy the Rams undoubtedly do draft.

7. No worries over teams wanting to hire Martz away, which is what you have if the Rams hit on a hot young OC. Martz and Williams as coordinators give the Rams production and a bright future with less risk of being poached by other teams.

8. Mike has a lot to prove. He is hungry to show the league that has taken much of what he did and ran with it that he still has it. His decisions to coordinate for weak head coaches was his downfall, and under Fish he'd have the right ability to run his show without fear from the head coach.

9. The move feels right. Dude is one of the greatest coordinators this franchise has had, and he's out there and available and being ignored by the NFL. Timing is everything.

10. I'll say it right now... IF Fish hires Martz, which is a ridiculous longshot I admit, he will win his super bowl with the Rams.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

2. He would be invaluable to helping the Rams take the right QB for the Coryell scheme. Few coaches have his acumen when it comes to QBs and QB play, along with estimating what they are capable of. His presence in the Rams draft prep process would give their board a much higher chance of producing the right guy in this draft.

3. Rams have enormous depth of weapons for Mad Mike to dictate to defenses. Austin alone... I can only imagine Mad Mike getting him isolated out of the offensive backfield into routes, or even just forcing defenses to crap their pants with Quick/Bailey/Britt/Cook playing fast due to knowing WTF they are doing.

4. Martz was at his best with a calm and controlled head coach above him in Vermiel who took care of all the details and kept him in a place where he could be the mad scientist OC. Fish is similar in makeup with Vermiel in that way.

5. Martz is not only one of the most knowledgeable QB coaches, but WRs as well. Him running the offensive show would mean instant return on the young WRs the Rams have invested in that for the most part did not make enormous strides under Schotty.

6. Martz is known for being very harsh on depth QBs and developing them well. Big return for the guy the Rams undoubtedly do draft.

7. No worries over teams wanting to hire Martz away, which is what you have if the Rams hit on a hot young OC. Martz and Williams as coordinators give the Rams production and a bright future with less risk of being poached by other teams.

8. Mike has a lot to prove. He is hungry to show the league that has taken much of what he did and ran with it that he still has it. His decisions to coordinate for weak head coaches was his downfall, and under Fish he'd have the right ability to run his show without fear from the head coach.

9. The move feels right. Dude is one of the greatest coordinators this franchise has had, and he's out there and available and being ignored by the NFL. Timing is everything.

10. I'll say it right now... IF Fish hires Martz, which is a ridiculous longshot I admit, he will win his super bowl with the Rams.

I know people love Martz, and would love to have him back, but why would he come back to the Rams at a position lower than HC? He's had the top job here, and was let go.

I've seen this said on here before, and I'm going to reiterate it because I think it's a good idea. Bring Martz in as a consultant on the QBs available in the draft and Free Agency. Have him help you exhaust all avenues and perform all due diligence in that aspect.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Point 4 is a good one. If Fish could play the Vermeil to Martz . .. however, I like Martz and am thankful for what he did but I don't want him back now.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chud is more likely for the "keep the same system" approach. But my concern is that he's gone the next year after he fixes our offense and gets us to the playoffs.

Martz really has a lot of advantage from that perspective. Coaches being poached is a big part of the rising/falling of fortunes in the NFL because coordinators make a big difference.

iced

I know people love Martz, and would love to have him back, but why would he come back to the Rams at a position lower than HC? He's had the top job here, and was let go.

Because he hasn't coached in a long while, and probably still has that itch...

i'm sure years away from the game probably taught some humility

my only complaint is that we don't have the line to run his scheme

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Wasnt Georgia still the majority owner when MM was let go? I dont think there is anyone in the current FO that was here when MM was let go, it may still be the Rams but it is a different Rams franchise. And I agree MM and GW as coordinators would make every other teams coordinators lose a lot of sleep. Aggressive on both sides of the ball, scoring early and forcing teams to abandon the run, remember Peyton and all the problems he had when Denver wouldnt run the ball. Or how about how ordinary Luck looked with no run game last year. And MM could create run plays also, Trung Canadate(sp) ran all over the Jets with MM callin the plays, MM may love the pass,but he loves to dictate and force teams to stop whatever they are weakest at defending.

I would love for it to happen, but highly doubt it will. But if Fisher wants to do like DV and win a ring with the 2nd team he takes to the SB, MM is his man to get it done.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Are we sure Martz really wants to come back to the grind of an NFL coach's life? He's getting up there in years. I would be for it. Fisher could surprise us. You never know.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

You lost me at number 1.

Same system 'tree' but different systems - similar, but different.
Mike ran the Don Coryell down the field passing game vs the west coast short/medium passing game that the Rams now run. Obviously both systems belong to the same system 'tree' and do run the long and short passes, they just each have a different emphasis in the passing game. Both use the power running game.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
11. As long as we're living in fantasyland, I should be able to get supermodels and candy.

It's not happening.

Marq

Marq My Wordz
Name
King
Because he hasn't coached in a long while, and probably still has that itch...

i'm sure years away from the game probably taught some humility

my only complaint is that we don't have the line to run his scheme
Yup qb needs protection in a Martz offense.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
feb-09-altered-atc-jenna-franklin-ship-has-sailed.jpg

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
that would be fucking awesome but idk if he wants to give up his comfy job. who knows maybe he does wanna come back. and to everyone who keeps talking about him going from head coach to OC I don't get why ppl think he would have a beef with that as some sort of demotion. being a head coach and running an offense or overseeing one might have been a pain in the ass for him. obviously Fisher is completely hands off with his coordinators so if Martz is told he has full control and he likes what he see with all the weapons and Bradford then he might be intrigued. or maybe he's completely done coaching right now. can always cross your fingers.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Martz did come back to the Rams it would be a big headline grabber and much discussed offseason topic. It would create real fan buzz too.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
He's too revolutionary for Fisher of whom strategizes his game plan with cave trolls that have clubs and throw stones. He just doesn't get it, but it works on defense.

Last edited:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I firmly believe that, new regime or not, they still know of the animosity between Martz and the headshed...I also really think that Martz' ego would be a big obstacle...And whether or not the Rams have forgotten the circumstances of his leaving, I really, really doubt that Martz has...I just can't see this happening... Never, never, never...

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
At this point do they really want an exciting, winning team and a dome full of fans?
Bringing Martz back would pack the dome again and that might be a problem for their future plans.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Martz as QB coach? I'm game.

Martz as OC? No way. He doesn't fit the run-first play-action offense concept.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Sounds great Merlin. There are a number of good OC's out there. I hope the Rams get one and don;t being in another Shottenheimer.