Added value of Balance?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
I am beginning to change my view and desire for uniquely stand out performances and creation of ProBowlers. "Who is going to really step up this year"?
My first priority is winning and preferably by a balanced "team" approach.
We have a young squad with a lot of talent that after grooming over the years, we would like to keep. There are a lot of high picks that will try to demand "break the bank" type money with their next contract. How can we develop and keep our core group for years in regards to considering our cap? I'm sure it would be difficult either way however I would rather have many players participating at a "good" level than a few participating at a great level. I wonder if it is better if 3 backs each get 500yards instead of one getting 1000 and the others 250? Maybe it is best if we split 2,500-3000 yards evenly receiving amongst 4-5 receivers so no one makes it to the Pro Bowl and wants a salary like Vermin Davis :). There may be value in not having a 1000 yard receiver. We can't financially support to many Robert Quinn's or Sam Bradford's salaries on one team.. Hopefully some of Roberts sacks are evenly distributed among other less heralded lineman. Hopefully Bradford's efficiency is high but numbers lower than the top 8-10 highest paid QBs? Hopefully the running game is so balanced with shottys conservative approach that we grind out games to lots of wins without Sam approaching Peyton type statistics. This is a departure from my previous desires but we have assembled a young team with clumps of highly rated talent pretty quickly. We could lose it quickly as those contracts similarly reach maturation in Unison. If the net effect is the same and we can get to the dance, do we care who is a leader in his category? I believe SF and Seattle are going to be experiencing this before us. I want to win the division but I do see a value in spreading out the statistics amongst players to limit their future bargaining chips and hopefully lessen our teams financial responsibility.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I understand your thinking but I don't think you can build a team or coach a team while concerning yourself with that issue. If the surest way to win a game is with one mega star doing everything, then you use him all you can and try to pay him enough to keep him.
The problem of building a roster loaded with talent is the kind of problem you want. Solving such a problem shouldn't be on the mind of Coach Fisher or Les Snead. That's where Kevin Demoff makes his money and that's the way it should be I think.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I don't understand what you mean?
I'd rather have a Quinn over 3 "good" DLineman anyday, elite players raise the level of the whole team.
You shouldn't plan to spread out sacks/yards/TD's. To think about spreading it out to save money on the salary cap is crazy.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, one thing that gives me great peace of mind on this subject is that we FINALLY seem to have a FO that can identify talent. And I'm talking into the 4-7 rounds plus UDFA's.

This assures a constant influx of talented players that will give us options with regard to high priced future contract extensions. Not to mention greater freedom from the necessity of signing expensive FA's.

It's difficult to place a team value on the Demoff, Snead, Fisher trio. But there is no doubt the value is quite high. We've all seen the high cost of an inept FO, haven't we? At least a decade's worth.

I now feel more confident that we will be better able to deal with the inevitable upcoming contracts of Bradford, Quinn, Brockers, Jenkins, etc. They will be a challenge, but one that can be handled.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Hate 'em if you want (which I do, with a passion), but building depth and not overpaying is the Belicek model Kroenke told Fisher he wanted to build.

The depth on this team compared to 3 years ago is phenomenal, especially given the youth of the team.

I would (actually, could - I really wouldn't :cautious:) argue that our current backups are as good as the starters three years ago, (with some obvious exceptions).

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
The Rams are finally in the "building depth stage". They had a lot to clear out, but have done a damn good job in the restocking phase. Have faith!

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
I think the new bargaining agreement allows teams to develop young talent and then make a decision to pay them with the next contract...so to me that is the way to build a team now. The Rams would be even in better shape executing this strategy if not being impacted with the last bargaining agreement, but are benefiting from added talent from high draft picks. We've seen what bad coaching and poor player personnel decisions can do to destroy a franchise quickly, however the opposite also has to be true IMO.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I don't understand what you mean?
I'd rather have a Quinn over 3 "good" DLineman anyday, elite players raise the level of the whole team.
You shouldn't plan to spread out sacks/yards/TD's. To think about spreading it out to save money on the salary cap is crazy.
I'd much rather have 3 good dlineman than 1 elite one. You can simply run the ball right at him over and over then double and triple team him on passes. He'd be done in the 2nd quarter. That's not even counting the injury factor. Elite players raise the level of a team only when there are other good players around them. How many sacks did Quinn get last year because Long had pressure from the other side? Obviously I love Quinn, BTW.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
The league raids good players too,scouting is the key,gotta be able to replace people cuz a players career is so fragile when he gets a blue sky offer he owes it to himself to take it.
The other important factor is getting and keeping a stable knowledgeable coach with experience not a flash in the pan,we've had that.

I get the ,balance theory, but when you are "balanced" there are still going to be stars that emerge, we know the names of the "No Name Defense" now