Adam Caplan: Until Rams Get it Right on Offense -They’re Going Nowhere

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Adam Caplan joined Kevin Wheeler to reevaluate the Rams/Eagles trade, Sam Bradford’s injury, why what we are seeing from Nick Foles right now is what the Eagles saw last year, and his thoughts on the Rams under Fisher.

Listen to Caplan Talk Rams

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was thinking of posting something on this topic...

When Walton was struggling as a DC, Fisher stepped in and called the D.

He knew what to do.

The offense is struggling (4 seasons running) and Fisher is...?

He just doesn't seem to know the next move.

That sounds horrible!

Frigg.

Geez. We've been a bottom dweller on O since he's been here.

I don't know how to make a positive spin out of that.

Last edited:

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Damn Kaplan, thanks for telling us something we don't already know!!

RAGRam

Pro Bowler

He knew what to do.

That sounds horrible!

Frigg.

See my thread earlier in the week, Fisher coached teams have been awful on O for the last 10 seasons, at some point you start to point the finger of blame in his direction.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe Fisher has tried to improve the offense, but injuries have thwarted any consistency or ability to improve. However, this is the NFL, and you generally don't get four years to "turn things around" (let alone five).

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
I've thought several times the last couple of years about how Vermeil realized he had a problem and brought someone in who could fix it and let them do it. After four years, maybe it's not personnel as much as it's scheme. But what do I know?

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
The lack of success on offense is on the coaches, not the players! I say this due to the total lack of continuity! If Foles was a quality qb, Fisher would have had more 2,3 more wins this year! Record is on the coach's ability to use his personnel!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

He knew what to do.

That sounds horrible!

Frigg.

I don't understand how a HC, Fisher, can build such a Great Defensive Team and not be able to come up with a Good Offensive Unit. It seems to me you have to know Offence in order to figure out how to beat it!! I can't make sense of it!!

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
hotels-com-spring-break-sale-captain-obvious-workout-leg-lift-large-8.jpg

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I've thought several times the last couple of years about how Vermeil realized he had a problem and brought someone in who could fix it and let them do it. After four years, maybe it's not personnel as much as it's scheme. But what do I know?

Unfortunately for a large number of great Rams fans here, Kroenke either:

A. Doesn't see the problem...

B. Doesn't care about the problem...

C. The dreaded all o' the above...

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
D. Is M. I. A while his toupee waits in the wings for eventual inherited ownership.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know, maybe its a little of both when it comes to personnel vs coaching. I do know the personnel is lacking. The receivers lack the ability to get open with any kind of consistency. They also have inconsistent hands. They don't really go after the ball all the well.

We know the issues with the line. They seem to get beat by the guy lining up in front of them. Left tackle is an important position and Robinson isn't improving there. If he keeps it up he'll be creeping up on bust territory. Its looking like the light is finally going on in Austin's head. But he're really just a gimmick player. He'll never be that receiver that lines up, runs a good route and goes after the ball to get the first down and move the chains.

And the most important position of all, the quarterback, has been an epic fail. No need to rehash how bad Foles has been. We all know about that.

So looking at all of that you can say we definitely have personnel issues on offense. But can you really blame the players? Its possible they're playing as well as they're capable of playing. They're just not good enough. And that is on Fisher/Snead. They traded up for a guy who will never be a number one type receiver. Yeah, he's exciting and can be explosive. But again, he's a gimmick guy. He has his limitations.

They used a number two overall on a guy who may never be more than a JAG. And that would be an improvement over where he's at now. They signed a tight end to a big contract and he's been the most inconsistent receiver they have.

On offense they failed to properly evaluate the talent level of these guys. I have to wonder if they're even capable of evaluating offensive talent. So far no one has even approached pro bowl level except Gurley. And he's not superman. Defenses will commit as many guys as it takes to stop him and our QB can take advantage of that.

So when its all said and done, I blame the people who drafted/signed these players. They did a poor job of evaluating the talent they acquired. Is it the players' fault their not as good as the guys they face? it may not be a matter of working hard or giving it their all. They're just not good enough.