AD 99 on certain plays on O

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
Seth Griffith
Stay with me for a second...And I’ve had this conversation with a few people and they didn’t think it was a terrible idea. Heck I even think I’ve recently seen someone here post a reply saying something similar.

Using AD 99 as a fullback/blocking help 3-5 times a game maybe something to at least draw up some plays for during practice. I feel he could absolutely maul in certain situations as a lead blocker, but I also don’t necessarily think the best defensive player in the league should be running on both sides of the ball a lot.

Maybe I’m just hoping that getting Stafford may put us into a more creative mindset for the entire team. I mean if we are making another “all on SB push” for a couple years...If at least kick the tires? Or am I just bored, missing football and can’t wait to see a more aggressive offense?! ‍♂️

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
AD has good hands too, dude can catch the ball. Line him up at TE and the D will expect him to be blocking, he can pop free and be wide open in goal line situations.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not worth risking injury imo. Plus he would have less energy for DLine.
This exactly! Why expose him to further risk for injury just to lay a good block? Or score a TD?
Not saying he wouldn’t be great at it...He’ll AD could probably play QB and kick FGs if he wanted to

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Stay with me for a second...And I’ve had this conversation with a few people and they didn’t think it was a terrible idea. Heck I even think I’ve recently seen someone here post a reply saying something similar.

Using AD 99 as a fullback/blocking help 3-5 times a game maybe something to at least draw up some plays for during practice. I feel he could absolutely maul in certain situations as a lead blocker, but I also don’t necessarily think the best defensive player in the league should be running on both sides of the ball a lot.

Maybe I’m just hoping that getting Stafford may put us into a more creative mindset for the entire team. I mean if we are making another “all on SB push” for a couple years...If at least kick the tires? Or am I just bored, missing football and can’t wait to see a more aggressive offense?! ‍♂
Well that’s not going to happen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Maybe I’m just hoping that getting Stafford may put us into a more creative mindset for the entire team. I mean if we are making another “all on SB push” for a couple years...If at least kick the tires? Or am I just bored, missing football and can’t wait to see a more aggressive offense?! ‍♂

AD is not the fridge. If the Rams want Ashawn Robinson to run some plays on offense, then sure, it may work. But teams don't do this with their best defenders. The fridge was expendable.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
AD is pulled from some series to keep him fresh. Why do anything, like play him on offense, to tire him?

Also, I don't like the injury risk.

Jim Mora @ UCLA used two of his best defenders on key plays on offense. It worked well and looked great until DL Eddie Vanderdoes went down after helping a score.

TexasRam

Legend
My Fridge chart has AD for Super Bowl and Greg Gaines for playoff and regular season games.

Especially if our goaline offense still sputters.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It seems the common concern is injury or extra workload. Both are valid.

INJURY CONCERN
I‘d argue the anchor and engagement along the Dline, as a DT, is probably more risky than being a lead blocker. Things are flying around his legs all the time at DT.

Lead blocker he is full steam in control moving ahead. Less anchor. More bulldozer.

WORKLOAD CONCERN
Yeah anything other than situational seems too much. Maybe once every 2-3 games, or very specific situation when it arises.

Make it an “oh shit” moment for the opposing defenses. You save THAT for special occasion.

When AD comes jogging out with the offense, all eyes are peeled... “what’s about to happen here?”.

I like the creativity of it all. Use him a play on O... give him one less on D. Manage it that way. It’s a very small budget.

It also sounds like something to unite a locker room....Both sides of the ball get into it. Donald is the heart of the team.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
In reality - no, not worth the injury risk. In a fantasy world hell yeah! I mean, who can shed blockers better? Shed your defender...pop into an open window, easy 6!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
INJURY CONCERN
I‘d argue the anchor and engagement along the Dline, as a DT, is probably more risky than being a lead blocker. Things are flying around his legs all the time at DT.

Lead blocker he is full steam in control moving ahead. Less anchor. More bulldozer.
Yeah but you shouldn’t be comparing offense to defense in terms of injury risk. You should be comparing the risks of sitting on the sideline vs being a lead blocker because AD is not engaged in an anchor or engagement while the O is on the field he’s sipping Gatorade.

that’s the injury risk that everyone is referring to. Not that O is inherently more dangerous than D but that we are opening him up to additional injury risk that didn’t exist prior. And the risk doesn’t seem worth the reward.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get the injury risk argument. Then how about one play? AD doesn't even need to do anything risky. He can just be a decoy to make the opponent hesitate. Just have one play featuring AD and keep it in the back pocket; ready for a special situation like needing a two point conversion to make the playoffs or something like that.

IMHO McVay needs to mix things up on the goal line. Too many times it's just vanilla off-tackle-right runs. I about fell out of my chair when the Rams ran that hook and ladder with Akers and Jefferson at the goal line in Green Bay. I'd like to see more of that in the future.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gadget play for AD=Loss of Quality Defense Snaps....nothing to ponder here

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
INJURY CONCERN

You are assuming he blows the defender off the line. It seems to me that most injuries along the offensive line occur when another player falls on the lineman's legs. And that includes lead blockers. Also, AD doesn't just bulldoze linemen. He uses a variety of moves, hands, turns, etc to get PAST a lineman. Completely different skill set and I honestly don't even think AD would be good at blocking against a heavier D lineman skilled at doing the same. As skilled as AD is, we need all his efforts to be used toward being that key on defense.

Oh... and how fast would a coach be on the hot seat if AD tore an ACL because he wanted to get cute. You do this with a player like Noteboom or Gains. You don't do it with possibly the best player in the NFL.

Now, 4th and 1 at the goal line in a playoff game or very important game and you want to give him the rock? Possibility.
WORKLOAD CONCERN
Yeah anything other than situational seems too much. Maybe once every 2-3 games, or very specific situation when it arises.

Make it an “oh shit” moment for the opposing defenses. You save THAT for special occasion.

When AD comes jogging out with the offense, all eyes are peeled... “what’s about to happen here?”.

I like the creativity of it all. Use him a play on O... give him one less on D. Manage it that way. It’s a very small budget.

It also sounds like something to unite a locker room....Both sides of the ball get into it. Donald is the heart of the team.
While I'm not all that concerned about one or two plays here or there, I just don't think you put him in there to crush skulls. A decoy? Sure. To leak out and catch a pass in the endzone? Why not. Hand off and have him throw a quick pass? Now THAT would be cool.

In fact, that would probably energize him far more than sapping his energy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You are assuming he blows the defender off the line.

Yes. Yes I am. :cool:

A decoy? Sure. To leak out and catch a pass in the endzone? Why not. Hand off and have him throw a quick pass? Now THAT would be cool.

There you go. Something.... just something situational. THAT play or SET of plays you have to fuck with teams!

Gadget play for AD=Loss of Quality Defense Snaps....nothing to ponder here

Used at the right time, 7pts. Over the course of a season, a few times, might be worth a ponder. (y)

Philly Special

Get in here @Seth Griffith. Don’t leave me hanging.:D