Act II may be tough for Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
http://cover32.com/2016/04/07/act-ii-may-toughest-rams-rb-todd-gurley/#LRulrHJspL8oGdFW.99

They say the second million is the toughest to make. Songwriters can’t always write their next big hit. It’s what comes next that can be the toughest act to follow. For second year Rams running back Todd Gurley, year two in Los Angeles could be a breakout season; or another chapter in the big book of “Sophomore Slumps”.

The league’s third-leading rusher, Gurley accumulating 1,106 yards in 13 games. He was also the first Ram since Steven Jackson in 2012 to rush for more than 1,000 yards and the first Rams rookie to do so since fan favorite and Hall of Famer Jerome Bettis in 1993.

Not bad for a rookie who didn’t get a touch until three weeks into the 2015 NFL campaign.

But as rookie seasons go, even one as impressive and hope filled for Rams fans, the anxiety around the dreaded slump of a second season is one that has caught a few would be NFL stars and their teams by surprise.

But for running backs, who have notoriously short careers, year one can be a tough act to follow.

The NFL landscape is dotted with names who seemed to have had pro football stardom in their futures. But a look at some of those whose names you know, add to the validity that the “Sophomore Slump” is very real.

I offer the following:

Rashaan Salaam, who as a rookie had a stat line of 296 carries, 1,074 yards, 3.6 YPC, 10 TDs, compared to a sophomore season with 143 carries, 496 yards, 3.5 YPC, 3 TDs.

Wide Receiver Mike Williams had a solid first season posting 65 receptions for 964 yards, 11 TDs, 14.8 YPC. Year two provided only 65 receptions for 771 yards, 3 TDs, 11.9 YPC.

Hall of Fame member Franco Harris had a rookie year with 188 carries for 1,055 yards, 10 TDs, 5.6 YPC, followed by a year two performance of 188 carries for 698 yards, 3 TDs, 3.7 YPC.

In all honesty, the bigger concern for me is what if, and this is a real possibility, that the Rams stable of backup quarterbacks forces Gurley to carry a bigger load than is either fair or reasonable.

One recent articles ask very openly if the current situation revolving around quarterback in Los Angeles, and the offensive game plan may actually “ruin” Todd Gurley.

Mike Freeman writing for bleacherreport says: “I fear the Rams will ruin Gurley. I fear they will destroy one of the bright stars in the game because they don’t know how to run an offense“.

Even if the Los Angeles lands a name like Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, or the more likely Paxton Lynch, Todd Gurley will be looked to for production that needs to either mirror, or surpasses his rookie season.
So unless one of the above named moves into the category of soon to be elite quarterbacks, Gurley becomes the easy focus for defenses the Rams will face in 2016.

Fair or not, the Rams second year running back has a big second season ahead of him. As act II’s generally go, the hope is that it exceeds what act I offered. For the Los Angeles Rams, expectations will be high.

For fans in Los Angeles, hopes will be that his name is not on the list of second year guys who flashed bright, and flamed out in year two.

“Sophomore Slumps” are notorious and filled with name recognition.

For Todd Gurley, that is a list to avoid, and a recognition he won’t have any interest in.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Barring injury this kid is the real deal and will only get better . If they ever find a QB and a #1 receiver he will get 1500 plus a year . JMHO

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm not worried about a sophomore slump in Gurley's case.

Consider the following...

He should finally be 100%.
Boras looks like an upgrade over Cigs.
Keenum (and maybe a Lynch or even Goff, later) are big upgrades over Foles and can only help Gurley.
A pass catching TE added will further help.
An expected WR added will take lots of D attention off Gurley.
Our OL should make strides in their second year together.
Groh's influence should get Gurley more involved in the passing attack.

Add it all up, and I expect a very big year from Gurley. I'm thinking 1500 on the ground and 400 or more in the passing game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i offer the following

adrian peterson, rookie stat line of 238 carries for 1,341 yards, 5.6 ypc, 12 td compared to a sophomore season with 363 carries for 1,760 yards, 4.8 ypc, 10 td.

starting qbs were tarvaris jackson and gus frerrote.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i offer the following

adrian peterson, rookie stat line of 238 carries for 1,341 yards, 5.6 ypc, 12 td compared to a sophomore season with 363 carries for 1,760 yards, 4.8 ypc, 10 td.

starting qbs were tarvaris jackson and gus frerrote.

I see your Peterson and put it to shame with Eric Dickersons first two years.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I read this article and was all....

tumblr_ndyawbuHep1tu0hbzo1_500.gif

fearsomefour

Legend
Not worried about Gurley.
Don't need some writer finding things to be concerned about with the Rams O.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, Todd Gurley will be 100% in year two after ACL surgery and our Oline will get better and better at what they do. Even if they key on Gurley, I am confident that Keenum can find an open WR to soften up the box by get Tavon Austin involved. If we get a top flight WR, this will also make it easier yet, on Gurley.

I have no worries.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Any article that references Mike Freeman should automatically make everyone skeptical. Gurley did what he did last year while never being even 90% and with a patchwork O-line. Barring injury I think he does significantly better in his second year. His YPC may dip a little bit he'll be more productive overall.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
For second year Rams running back Todd Gurley, year two in Los Angeles could be a breakout season; or another chapter in the big book of “Sophomore Slumps”.
I pray it's the former and not the Latter of these two scenario's!!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Seems like yesterday that Gurley was anointed (and I agree)as the next AP) The only once a generation RB...Now I read something about this guy Ezekiel ( or whatever his name is, is being touted as the best pospect since AP..How quirky and quick on the trigger some of the media guys can be...I can't remember where I saw it so I can't reference a link or site..Just found it interesting in abvery slow time of the year...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Any article that references Mike Freeman should automatically make everyone skeptical. Gurley did what he did last year while never being even 90% and with a patchwork O-line. Barring injury I think he does significantly better in his second year. His YPC may dip a little bit he'll be more productive overall.
Agreed. This was a lame article written by a hack, quoting another hack. What a joke.

Name
aloharamfan
Good question. Gurley will be facing what he saw the later part of the year defensively. 8-9 men in the box.

Another thread the author said that fisher makes the other teams beat his team. No running back can be as effective a runner when facing that many defenders. Fisher will have to commit to the philosophy that sometimes you have to effectively pass the ball to run it effectively in the fourth quarter. Most of the time last year, one of the opposing safeties was also moving toward the oline. Even though they did not line up in the box, they were close to it and moving forward further compressing the openings near the line of scrimmage.

The lack of a deep or medium depth passing threat will create a very difficult front for any running back. As good as our gurley is, sometimes the numbers game will win out.

I do believe strongly that our offensive linemen will be much better this year however. That will help for sure. If we get another tight end that could block well and even catch the ball on critical passes consistently, gurley will find the running much easier. He would be able to break off more runs of longer than 10 yds.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Apples n' Oranges, Dickerson had a much better line to run behind....that and Robinson knew how to use him.

Don't sell the current line short. There is some talent there. Experience will be better this year now that the rookie learning curve is out of the way. This line could go from a weak link to a strong asset. I think it was obvious there was improvement towards the end of the season last year. And we all know how talented Gurley is. I've seen both Dickerson and Gurley and they are very close. I'd give a slight edge to ED in breakaway speed and slight edge to TGII in power. But TGII's speed is pretty good too.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
1800 yards.
5.5 apc
15 TD's rushing
3 TD's passing

Bank it.

:)

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They really used the massive decline of Salaam from 3.6 ypc all the way down to 3.5 ypc as an example? (yeah yeah yeah, half the carries due to injuries) Seems a clear parallel to Gurley. Does that mean Gurley might only get 4.7 ypc next season?