Ackerman on KMOX - Seriously, NFL - WTF?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/03/06/ ... ith-gregg/

ST. LOUIS (KMOX): Some quick sports thoughts on this lovely Tuesday….

Why did the NFL allow the Rams to hire Gregg Williams? It seems rather unnecessary that the Rams are involved in the PR disaster that is the “Bounty Program Investigation.” [hil]The league has been investigating this Saints pay-for-performance program since 2010. They couldn’t inform the Rams that the man they wanted as defensive coordinator was about to be summoned to New York? Come on.[/hil] The NFL is going to punish Williams, Saints coach Asshole Face, GM Mickey Loomis and others. The Rams can’t do much until the league hands out its suspensions, fines, etc. Why would the league put them in such an awkward situation? The Rams don’t need any distractions. They need to prepare for a major trade, win over a frustrated fan base and sell tickets. Even if they still believe in Williams, for the Rams to be dragged into the Saints’ mess seems pretty ridiculous.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
[hil]The league has been investigating this Saints pay-for-performance program since 2010. They couldn’t inform the Rams that the man they wanted as defensive coordinator was about to be summoned to New York? Come on.[/hil]
Yeah, one of my first thoughts about this whole affair, and it really is pissing me off. Williams appears to be expendable, which is why he's getting the lions share of the media castigation.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
interference said:
X said:
[hil]The league has been investigating this Saints pay-for-performance program since 2010. They couldn’t inform the Rams that the man they wanted as defensive coordinator was about to be summoned to New York? Come on.[/hil]
Yeah, one of my first thoughts about this whole affair, and it really is pissing me off. Williams appears to be expendable, which is why he's getting the lions share of the media castigation.
Yeah, sure seems that way. Someone has to get nailed to the cross, and I don't think it's going to be Payton. Loomis is probably going to be axed, but probably without a lot of fanfare. The Saints, as an Organization are going to get penalized too, but ultimately, it *was* Williams who installed that program. It was a gamble he took in the first place, and now the Rams are going to suffer. That's the most ridiculous part of this whole thing. The NFL sucks ass for not (at least silently) telling the Rams that their targeted DC was already being targeted by the league office.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
now knowing a little about Williams personality, i betcha he pissed off a few too many

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Was listening to the fastlane today and Softli was on and talking about Williams.
If i understood him right he said Stan K. should have known about this since all the owners are privy to all investigations.
http://www.101espn.com/templates/audio_ ... 350&type=s
At about 3 min. mark.
So if he knows what he's talking about maybe the Rams could have known.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Go ahead and suspend him for a year. Then just give the Rams the Saints draft pick. I'm good with that. :bign:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Yamahopper said:
Was listening to the fastlane today and Softli was on and talking about Williams.
If i understood him right he said Stan K. should have known about this since all the owners are privy to all investigations.
At about 3 min. mark.
This story gets more and more bizarre the more I hear about it.

If Stan didn't raise an objection to Williams' hiring, then Stan either (1) did not know about investigation; (2) thought investigation was not serious; (3) did not pay attention to who Fisher was putting on his staff. Did I miss anything?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
interference said:
Yamahopper said:
At about 3 min. mark.

If Stan didn't raise an objection to Williams' hiring, then Stan either (1) did not know about investigation; (2) thought investigation was not serious; (3) did not pay attention to who Fisher was putting on his staff. Did I miss anything?

Well, no. Except the fact that Stan or anyone on the Rams absolutely positively had no clue about the investigation what so ever.

So, yeah, (1) I guess is what you're looking for.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Username said:
interference said:
Yamahopper said:
At about 3 min. mark.

Well, no. Except the fact that Stan or anyone on the Rams absolutely positively had no clue about the investigation what so ever.

So, yeah, (1) I guess is what you're looking for.

Puzzling.
I can see in a way how he didn't know.....which leads to a differnt set of questions.

But the Saints were told in the past to knock it off, I think a memo to all owners would be in order since there all in this together.
The Commish works for the owners, the owners are paying for the investigation, there's only 32 of them so they have to gossip, anything to do with punishing a fellow owner would i'm sure get great scrutiny from the other owners.

But then again it doesn't really matter.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I guess just like anything else we'll never know. I really don't think the Rams would've agreed to hire him knowing there was an investigation of this magnitude going on.

Then again I guess you could say how did the owners not know about it considering it was so big. imo that's far from the truth, but I can see the reasoning each way.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Username said:
I guess just like anything else we'll never know. I really don't think the Rams would've agreed to hire him knowing there was an investigation of this magnitude going on.

Then again I guess you could say how did the owners not know about it considering it was so big. imo that's far from the truth, but I can see the reasoning each way.

You nailed it I think.

The big thing I think is the Saints not stopping it when they were told too. Who knew what and when they knew it doesn't really matter. The owners don't talk out of school.

But I would wager that all 32 teams were investigated to see how big of a problem this was. If 28 teams were doing this would it would have been handled internally like the Saints warning.

No I don't think the Rams knew.

But If Stan K. knew maybe he felt he couldn't tell Fish or didn't want to step on his toes first thing and tell him no on a hire with out telling him the real reason. He just was willing to take the chance it would blow over.

The Saints owner will get a big fine but that's it for him. Owners don't punish other owners. If the Commish pushes for more we get a new Commish.

None of this matters the Rams will get someone to step in and be ready for OTA's. Wasn't thrilled with Williams anyway. We can win without him.

The 2 questions I have is.
1 How the hell did they keep this quiet for so long?
2 How the hell can the Saints be the only one doing it? Copycat league.