According to PD/JT article, Fisher not yet decided

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Here's the article if you haven't seen it yet:

Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels looks like he's out the door. Arizona defensive coordinator Ray Horton spent his Friday with Stan Kroenke in the Mile High City. And Jeff Fisher says it's down to St. Louis and Miami — not necessarily in that order — for his next place of employment.

Events Friday all seemed to indicate that a decision was near on the Rams' next head coach — with the signs pointing to Fisher and the Rams. How so?

Giving New England permission to interview McDaniels for its vacant offensive coordinator position could be interpreted as a strong hint that Fisher is coming to St. Louis. The Rams granted permission to the Patriots late Friday afternoon. Kansas City hasn't requested to speak to McDaniels.

NFL sources indicated to the Post-Dispatch early in the week that Fisher almost certainly wouldn't retain McDaniels because their offensive philosophies don't mesh. (Fisher likes a more conservative style with power running and play-action passing.)

Meanwhile, the interview with Horton in Denver fulfills Rooney Rule requirements on minority candidates. The interview went well, and Horton was impressive, according to team sources. So, it may seem easy enough to connect the dots and start working on that Jeff Fisher nameplate for the head coach's office at Rams Park.

• McDaniels gone. Check.

• Rooney rule. Check.

• Jeff Fisher. Write the check.

Not so fast. League sources familiar with the coach search said the Rams don't know who's the frontrunner at this point — them or Miami. Fisher let it be known Friday that his decision was down to the Dolphins and Rams, and that he would make a choice by midweek. The decision might come before that, but contrary to some speculative reports, Fisher hasn't made up his mind. Nor have the Rams and Fisher begun anything resembling serious negotiations, though that might happen as soon as today.

Wherever Fisher ends up, those close to Fisher say he plans to put together a "rock-star" coaching staff. One talking point of negotiations will be how much money he can spend on his staff, which was a point of contention at times during Fisher's 16 seasons with the Tennessee franchise.

So, it could be Fisher or bust for the Rams. Horton and Fisher are the only known candidates to have interviewed with the Rams. However, dismissing Horton would be a disservice, particularly when you consider that Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh was far from the top choice with the Steelers in 2007 but is seeking his third Super Bowl appearance and second Super Bowl title in four seasons.

Horton, 51, a native of Tacoma, Wash., had a 10-year career as a cornerback in the NFL with Cincinnati (1979-82) and Dallas ('89-92). His pro coaching career includes stints with Washington, Cincinnati, Detroit and Pittsburgh. Until this season, he had spent his entire NFL coaching career coaching defensive backs.

In Arizona, the Cardinals' defense started slowly this season but showed marked improvement over the final 10 games, finishing tied for 18th in total defense. With his background in Pittsburgh, where he was an assistant from 2004-10, Horton installed the Steelers' defensive scheme, featuring a 3-4 front and pressure from anywhere. Horton has a straightforward, at times blunt approach — a style that worked well this season with the Cardinals.

The Rams are probing other options as well. For example, the team contacted University of Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian, but Sarkisian told them he wasn't interested.

Even so, things always seem to find their way back to Fisher. Further feeding the Fisher frenzy is the fact that the Rams have received permission to interview two members of the Titans' front office about their vacant general manager's job: vice president of football operations Lake Dawson and vice president of player personnel Ruston Webster. All told, that makes eight identified general manager candidates for St. Louis. It would have been nine, but Baltimore director of player personnel Eric DeCosta announced he is staying with the Ravens.

In other developments:

• Several teams have called Steve Spagnuolo about the possibility of joining their staff. He's taking a few days to think it over.

• Carolina offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, who might be on the Rams' radar if the pursuit of Fisher falls through, interviewed Thursday in Jacksonville for the Jaguars' head-coaching job.

• All eight members of the Rams' practice squad have been signed to the offseason roster: DT Cornell Banks, C Tim Barnes, CB Kendric Burney, WR John Chiles, TE Demarco Cosby, DT John Henderson, OT Ryan McKee, and RB Chase Reynolds.

• Many Rams assistant coaches packed their things Friday and departed Rams Park for time off, which they would have gotten regardless of Spagnuolo's firing.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/fisher-closes-in-on-his-choice/article_59d3dd67-4433-5cb8-b83b-4700692721e9.html#ixzz1imn9KBXJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1imn9KBXJ</a>

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fish is going to assemble a "Rock-Star" coaching staff. Let me just go ahead and say it,,, Sounds Fucking Grrrrrrrrrrreat to me!

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Selassie I said:
Fish is going to assemble a "Rock-Star" coaching staff. Let me just go ahead and say it,,, Sounds Fucking Grrrrrrrrrrreat to me!
It sounds like nonsense to me. When you begin to line up the reasons why "rock star" coaches should or would leave their positions with (probably) winning teams to come to St Louis, logic and motivation appears to be lost in the mist of fairy tale dreams.

Ah yes, tis the season to speculate and dream, someone pass that joint my friend.... :boing:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
brokeu91 said:
Here's the article if you haven't seen it yet:

Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels looks like he's out the door. Arizona defensive coordinator Ray Horton spent his Friday with Stan Kroenke in the Mile High City. And Jeff Fisher says it's down to St. Louis and Miami — not necessarily in that order — for his next place of employment.

Events Friday all seemed to indicate that a decision was near on the Rams' next head coach — with the signs pointing to Fisher and the Rams. How so?

Giving New England permission to interview McDaniels for its vacant offensive coordinator position could be interpreted as a strong hint that Fisher is coming to St. Louis. The Rams granted permission to the Patriots late Friday afternoon. Kansas City hasn't requested to speak to McDaniels.

NFL sources indicated to the Post-Dispatch early in the week that Fisher almost certainly wouldn't retain McDaniels because their offensive philosophies don't mesh. (Fisher likes a more conservative style with power running and play-action passing.)

Meanwhile, the interview with Horton in Denver fulfills Rooney Rule requirements on minority candidates. The interview went well, and Horton was impressive, according to team sources. So, it may seem easy enough to connect the dots and start working on that Jeff Fisher nameplate for the head coach's office at Rams Park.

• McDaniels gone. Check.

• Rooney rule. Check.

• Jeff Fisher. Write the check.

Not so fast. League sources familiar with the coach search said the Rams don't know who's the frontrunner at this point — them or Miami. Fisher let it be known Friday that his decision was down to the Dolphins and Rams, and that he would make a choice by midweek. The decision might come before that, but contrary to some speculative reports, Fisher hasn't made up his mind. Nor have the Rams and Fisher begun anything resembling serious negotiations, though that might happen as soon as today.

Wherever Fisher ends up, those close to Fisher say he plans to put together a "rock-star" coaching staff. One talking point of negotiations will be how much money he can spend on his staff, which was a point of contention at times during Fisher's 16 seasons with the Tennessee franchise.

So, it could be Fisher or bust for the Rams. Horton and Fisher are the only known candidates to have interviewed with the Rams. However, dismissing Horton would be a disservice, particularly when you consider that Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh was far from the top choice with the Steelers in 2007 but is seeking his third Super Bowl appearance and second Super Bowl title in four seasons.

Horton, 51, a native of Tacoma, Wash., had a 10-year career as a cornerback in the NFL with Cincinnati (1979-82) and Dallas ('89-92). His pro coaching career includes stints with Washington, Cincinnati, Detroit and Pittsburgh. Until this season, he had spent his entire NFL coaching career coaching defensive backs.

In Arizona, the Cardinals' defense started slowly this season but showed marked improvement over the final 10 games, finishing tied for 18th in total defense. With his background in Pittsburgh, where he was an assistant from 2004-10, Horton installed the Steelers' defensive scheme, featuring a 3-4 front and pressure from anywhere. Horton has a straightforward, at times blunt approach — a style that worked well this season with the Cardinals.

The Rams are probing other options as well. For example, the team contacted University of Washington head coach Steve Sarkisian, but Sarkisian told them he wasn't interested.

Even so, things always seem to find their way back to Fisher. Further feeding the Fisher frenzy is the fact that the Rams have received permission to interview two members of the Titans' front office about their vacant general manager's job: vice president of football operations Lake Dawson and vice president of player personnel Ruston Webster. All told, that makes eight identified general manager candidates for St. Louis. It would have been nine, but Baltimore director of player personnel Eric DeCosta announced he is staying with the Ravens.

In other developments:

• Several teams have called Steve Spagnuolo about the possibility of joining their staff. He's taking a few days to think it over.

• Carolina offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, who might be on the Rams' radar if the pursuit of Fisher falls through, interviewed Thursday in Jacksonville for the Jaguars' head-coaching job.

• All eight members of the Rams' practice squad have been signed to the offseason roster: DT Cornell Banks, C Tim Barnes, CB Kendric Burney, WR John Chiles, TE Demarco Cosby, DT John Henderson, OT Ryan McKee, and RB Chase Reynolds.

• Many Rams assistant coaches packed their things Friday and departed Rams Park for time off, which they would have gotten regardless of Spagnuolo's firing.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/fisher-closes-in-on-his-choice/article_59d3dd67-4433-5cb8-b83b-4700692721e9.html#ixzz1imn9KBXJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1imn9KBXJ</a>

OK, let's add it all up:

McDaniels (OC) back to arguably the best team of the past 10 years---check

Spags, has teams lined up with job offers----check

Horton as the potential HC, equipped with coaching experience limited to (defensive backs) ---check

U of Wash (Sarkisian) tells the Rams he wasn't interested (oh yeah, there's a winner all right)---check.

Fisher, currently anointed as "the second coming" is so excited about the prospect that he's having difficulty "making up his mind"---check.

We've descended into considering anything written by the PD---check

Well I'm excited.....but, I sure picked a rotten week to give up mushrooms and amphetamines. :omg: :?!:

steferfootball

Starter
I just heard on NFL Network that Greg Williams from the Saints may become our Defensive Coordinator. (Either Jason LaCanfonia or Michael Lombardi...I confuse the two)

It is the last year of William's contract, and Williams and Fisher have ties in the past - perhaps he wants a franchise more dedicated to defense.

Anonymous

Spent my morning splitting wood.....now after reading this article I've got wood. :sly: At the announcement it will be either agony or ecstasy for me.

62, His waiting likely has to do with giving the interested parties more time to search their sofas for more money. My bet is it has to do with paying assistant coaches.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
ROCK STAR assistants Baby ! :mrgreen:

Come on 62,,,, you tryin to kill my buzz. Lively Up Yourself man!