About that Super Bowl MVP award…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’ve been thinking…

Kupp had a tremendous 4th quarter, well, really a tremendous final drive. I couldn’t be more proud of him, but he didn’t throw those amazing passes to himself.

Meaning that Stafford did a helluva job without other quality weapons as targets and Bengals knew it. Stafford had to operate with obviously no running game as the final minutes ticked on. I submit that few QB’s could have pulled that off under those conditions. Damned few.

Meanwhile, AD had himself a great game and even went into beast mode late in that game. His final 2 plays are now part of Rams legend. Who knows what would have happened without AD making those plays?

Wouldn’t it have been nice to make those 3 guys Co-MVP winners? Too late now, but I would have been most happy with that outcome. I think all 3 players were deserving.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I’ve been thinking…

Kupp had a tremendous 4th quarter, well, really a tremendous final drive. I couldn’t be more proud of him, but he didn’t throw those amazing passes to himself.

Meaning that Stafford did a helluva job without other quality weapons as targets and Bengals knew it. Stafford had to operate with obviously no running game as the final minutes ticked on. I submit that few QB’s could have pulled that off under those conditions. Damned few.

Meanwhile, AD had himself a great game and even went into beast mode late in that game. His final 2 plays are now part of Rams legend. Who knows what would have happened without AD making those plays?

Wouldn’t it have been nice to make those 3 guys Co-MVP winners? Too late now, but I would have been most happy with that outcome. I think all 3 players were deserving.

Yeah, they were all three deserving, and I feel like singling out one was like taking the result of flipping a 3-sided coin.

I know in the Super Bowl between Dallas and Denver back in the 1970's, Randy White and Harvey Martin were given co-MVP honors, and think that co-MVP honors among the three you mentioned would have been more than justified.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
They all played MVP level games. When all is said and done, giving it to the guy who should have been the regular season MVP seems like a nice outcome.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
No way three people were going to get MVP. Stafford threw two picks - he wasn't gong to get it. Split b/t Kupp and Donald though would have been justified.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I’ve been thinking…

Friend texted me right at the end asking who I thought should be MVP. My response was Kupp/Stafford/Donald.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Stafford didn’t get any help from VJ and the ints were as much the WEs fault as his.

Donald had a great second half maybe they could have made adjustments earlier to get him freed up and he was just playing his role the first half.

I’m happy Kupp got it, without him they probably lose. 2TDs and nearly 100 yds and he was the only weapon they had in the second half. Plus it puts him is an extremely rare category.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I’ve been thinking…

AD had the biggest impact. He changed the Bengals entire game plan. Take away a gift TD from the refs and Burrow has no TDS and like 150 yards.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll just leave this here...

Patrick Mahomes against the Niners:

26/42 286 yards 3 total TDs 2 INTs 78 passer rating - Super Bowl MVP

Matthew Stafford against the Bengals:

26/40 283 yards 3 TDs 2 INTs 89 passer rating including game winning drive - not Super Bowl MVP

Stafford has a perception around him that will be impossible for him to get rid of IMO. He has more playoff game winning drives than Aaron Rodgers now. Think about that for a minute....

What QBs am I taking over Stafford for 2022? Mahomes and......yep, that's it. But of course people will rank him beneath Allen and Burrow, as well as others.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Kupp was deserving, but maybe lacking a clear winner of the award his MVP caliber season was taken into account.

I would have given it to Stafford. If he doesn't come up clutch that final drive, we don't win. I get the same could be said for Kupp, but Stafford is the first part of that equation.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Stafford didn’t get any help from VJ and the ints were as much the WEs fault as his.

Donald had a great second half maybe they could have made adjustments earlier to get him freed up and he was just playing his role the first half.

I’m happy Kupp got it, without him they probably lose. 2TDs and nearly 100 yds and he was the only weapon they had in the second half. Plus it puts him is an extremely rare category.

I wonder how SB 53 would have turned out if he weren't injured? (Super Kupp)

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder how SB 53 would have turned out if he weren't injured? (Super Kupp)
I agree. But I would have rather had a healthy Todd Gurley. No way the Rams would have lost if Gurley was healthy.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Well, maybe that's why those 3 went to Disneyland together???

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
My initial thought when AD made that final play was Co-MVPs for Kupp and Donald. The way the 2nd half started it very much had the potential to get away from us but Aaron Donald shut that shit down and forced a field goal after the int. and then continued to dominate for the rest of the game. On the offenses last series when the game was on the line it was all Kupp! On the defenses last series when the game was on the line it was all AD!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I'll just leave this here...

Patrick Mahomes against the Niners:

26/42 286 yards 3 total TDs 2 INTs 78 passer rating - Super Bowl MVP

Matthew Stafford against the Bengals:

26/40 283 yards 3 TDs 2 INTs 89 passer rating including game winning drive - not Super Bowl MVP
Boom. This needs to be tweeted to all the slap dicks out there fucking with our QB.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I had Matt at 15 to 1 when the playoffs started and AD at 14 to 1 the week before the superbowl. As the game ended I figured at least one of those 2 were winning it. I even had Von at 40 to 1 and Floyd at 150 to 1. Thought a dlineman had a really good chance.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I did hear somewhere that the MVP votes are taken at the 2 minute warning. I don't know if that is a fact, but, it might explain Donald not being a part of it. If you don't factor in what he did at the end, its easily Kupp - Stafford above him. If they do take the votes at 2 min warning, that seems like a very poor decision. Very often, the most impactful plays of the game happen in the end. My vote would have been Kupp AND Donald.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
As tough as it is to choose one of the 3, on reflection I think I would choose Staff.
1) Had to play without OBJ (and Higgs and Woodie): only one weapon
2) No running game
3) Clutch winning drive. No TD, AD and Von's heroics don't matter.
4) Neither INT should IMO count against him:
a) BennySkow tipped that one up. In the middle. Looked like maybe he slowed too?
b) the bomb to the end zone was 3rd and forever. A jump ball in the EZ was either a TD, Incomplete (leads to punt) or an INT (=punt). IMO this was a good "situational football" decision by Staff to take the chance. Looked like his motion was a signal to Jeff for a jump ball throw and Jeff didn't get it. Staff wasn't thinking whether it would look bad on his stat sheet.

BC

Last edited: