About that Franchise Tag thing...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m already on record as considering the tag for use only as a very last resort.

For only a transcendent player such as an AD or a franchise QB. Players that one absolutely, positively, must NOT allow to get away.

But that’s about it. They alienate the player and cause the club to overpay, sometimes grossly. Ultimately a lose-lose proposition.

But there’s another aspect that the Rams are probably very much factoring into their calculations.

Barring a successful AD extension, and soon, they know that they will need that tag next year and possibly through ‘21 for AD. By which time perhaps Goff will require a tag. Hopefully, these players will be successfully extended. But if not, that tag would be verrrrry handy next year and beyond.

My point? Well, it behooves the Rams to deal with Joyner and Watkins without resorting to the tag. ‘Cause if they don’t, then they’re painted into a corner come ‘19 if AD is not already in the fold. That is a place that they don’t want to be. That they can’t AFFORD to be.

Therefore, I predict that they will extend Joyner for whatever the market requires. Watkins? They will extend him, if possible, up to their predetermined ceiling. Beyond that, they let him walk. No tag for either, IOW.

They want to keep that tag available as their ace in the hole for the AD negotiations.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd always prefer we negotiate our contracts without one but if they need to use it as a stop gap then so be it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I’m already on record as considering the tag for use only as a very last resort.

For only a transcendent player such as an AD or a franchise QB. Players that one absolutely, positively, must NOT allow to get away.

But that’s about it. They alienate the player and cause the club to overpay, sometimes grossly. Ultimately a lose-lose proposition.

But there’s another aspect that the Rams are probably very much factoring into their calculations.

Barring a successful AD extension, and soon, they know that they will need that tag next year and possibly through ‘21 for AD. By which time perhaps Goff will require a tag. Hopefully, these players will be successfully extended. But if not, that tag would be verrrrry handy next year and beyond.

My point? Well, it behooves the Rams to deal with Joyner and Watkins without resorting to the tag. ‘Cause if they don’t, then they’re painted into a corner come ‘19 if AD is not already in the fold. That is a place that they don’t want to be. That they can’t AFFORD to be.

Therefore, I predict that they will extend Joyner for whatever the market requires. Watkins? They will extend him, if possible, up to their predetermined ceiling. Beyond that, they let him walk. No tag for either, IOW.

They want to keep that tag available as their ace in the hole for the AD negotiations.
Snead just said, at the Combine, that they don't have to worry about money for Donald being effected by Deals for Watkins and Joyner. He said the money for Donald is already set aside! In other words they can Tags Watkins or Joyner, or pay them whatever, and still be able to take care of Donald this year! At least that's the way I understood him!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I get where you're comin from 43, but in truth that's like a mechanic saying he only wants to use a certain wrench on a Chevy engine. You're not allowing yourself a full toolkit by doing that.

I hate the tag and think it's a laziness and control thing of the past. IMO the league would be better served to do away with it and let the better organizations who think ahead have even more of an advantage. But while it's here you gotta use it to ensure you maximize your roster.

Using it on non-transcendent talent can be very shrewd, depending on the position he plays, the FA class coming up, and the depth of the draft at the position.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Snead just said, at the Combine, that they don't have to worry about money for Donald being effected by Deals for Watkins and Joyner. He said the money for Donald is already set aside! In other words they can Tags Watkins or Joyner, or pay them whatever, and still be able to take care of Donald this year! At least that's the way I understood him!
Then sign him already.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Then sign him already.

Let's hope Donald wants to go to the Super Bowl as much as the rest of us and is willing to survive on his 5'th year option money with a signed contract prior to camp that his new 6 year $130mil contract will go into effect in 2019. This would fix a lot of future CAP problems, first being Gurley's 2019 5'th year option money. jmo.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend

I've stated a few times lately that I hate the F Tag.

Now, it may come down to that for Donald and they can use and save money for the short term. I think Goff will be reasonable as long as the Rams are. Other than Donald I don't want to see it used. Yes a lose lose situation.

I'm at the point where I don't think Watkins or Joyner should be tagged. I don't know why they waited on Joyner. It was no surprise that he was going to play well at safety. Watkins was a gamble without a redo contract and trade deal.

I've been commenting on the offensive lineman that contracts have one year remaining. Before the start of the season (IIRC Rams don't do deals in season) the Rams should lock them up. Saffold and Havenstein would be less costly now. Even extend Brown to keep them together.

We will see what happens. It's time the Rams start making the smart moves before it's too late. There are always risks but, Demoff knows how to make good contracts (except Tavon's) that don't hurt the Rams future.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Nice, hope that is true, but, who knows.
Don't know how the money would be "set aside" given the cap, but, maybe how it is structured?
Anyway, done over pay for Watkins and bring in D talent.