Aaron Neary suspended 4 games

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Didn't he get in trouble last season?

Edit: he was. DUI

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Obviously not good for him. Wait and see what it was. He is already on the bubble.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Four weeks is a ped suspension.
He violated the substances of abuse policy, PEDs do not fall under that category. He could have got 4 games because he was arrested for a DUI last september. Alcohol is a listed substance. That's my bet for what he was popped for.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Aaron Neary was Kromer's most experienced reserve OL'er. Without Neary as a reserve.... he does not have any OL'er reserves who have started or even suited up in a regular season NFL game. :shocking:

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ur-games-violating-nfl-substance-abuse-policy

Los Angeles Rams OL Aaron Neary suspended for four games for violating the NFL substance abuse policy

One of the Rams’ reserve O-linemen won’t be around until October.

By 3k
usa_today_11005811.0.jpg

Los Angeles Rams OL Aaron Neary (72) walks with RT Rob Havenstein (79) during training camp at UC Irvine, Jul. 28, 2018.
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
Los Angeles Rams OL Aaron Neary has been suspended for the first four games of the 2019 regular season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy per a league release:

Neary_suspension.jpg

Aaron Neary of the Los Angeles Rams has been suspended without pay for the first four games of the 2019 regular season for violating the NFL’s policy and program on substances of abuse.

Neary is eligible to participate in all offseason and preseason practices and games. He will be eligible to return to the Rams’ active roster on Monday, September 30, following the team’s September 29 game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Worth noting this is the NFL policy on substances of abuse, not performance-enhancing substances. Per the policy:

The illegal use of drugs and the abuse of prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and alcohol (hereinafter “Substances of Abuse”) is prohibited* for Players in the NFL.

* - The NFL and the NFLPA prohibit Players from the illegal use, possession, or distribution of drugs, including but not limited to cocaine; marijuana and synthetic cannabinoids; opiates and opioids; methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA); and phencyclidine (PCP). The abuse of prescription drugs, over-the-counter drugs, and alcohol is also prohibited. For example, the use of amphetamines and substances that induce similar effects, absent a verified and legitimate need for appropriate dosages of such substances to treat existing medical conditions, is prohibited.

Not sure what part of this he violated, but hoping whatever it is it’s recreational and not a larger substance abuse issue for Neary personally.

Neary has had two stints with the Rams. The first was the 2017 season throughout which Neary was on the practice squad before being called up to start in Week 17 against the San Francisco 49ers when the Rams sat their starters ahead of the playoffs. Neary was cut last season in the 53-man roster cuts but was brought back after Week 1 and was a mainstay on the practice squad all year.

In terms of impact on the team, I had Neary making the cut in my last 53-man roster projection. Neary won’t impact the roster on suspension for the first month, so that would free up a spot. The Rams will have a difficult decision to make heading into Week 5 now if they want to bring him back into the offensive line room or if this marks the beginning of the end of his time with the Rams.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't want to speculate what Neary was suspended for. I realize that he had a DUI last year, but I'm hoping it isn't alcohol because it would mean that there are problems beyond the football field, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Welp...at least he will be fresh come October!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sayonara. :effemine:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sayonara. :effemine:

What are the cap effects of cutting him after his suspension, as opposed to the final cutdown before the season? If the money is the same (i.e. zero) then presumably they would keep him, just in case there are injuries or suckage.

But yeah, there was going to be a roster crunch on the OL most likely. This probably simplifies things a little.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not only are Demby, Evans & Edwards superior, IMO, guys like Vitas Hrynkiewicz & Brandon Hitner have far more upside!
images
upload_2019-6-28_23-42-43.jpeg

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not only are Demby, Evans & Edwards superior, IMO, guys like Vitas Hrynkiewicz & Brandon Hitner have far more upside!
images
View attachment 29304

I'm not sure about the upside of the NRIs - NRIs often look great before you actually see them competing against NFL caliber players - but we know that Neary has a behavioral red flag, and if he's caught again the suspension will be longer. He is going to have to look fantastic in camp to win a spot now, given the greater risk he poses.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
We all heard about his DUI. Got massively wasted within two hours after the game ended. For his sake, if he has dependency problems, I hope he takes steps to resolve them.

If there are ways for Aaron to help himself out, I'd much rather he take those avenues than to be suspended from participation when his teammates are counting on him.