Aaron Donald noncommittal on reporting to training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

You are correct @flv....

Article 7, Section 7, of the CBA:
No renegotiation's are allowed for the first three years of any rookie deal.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2014/03/...hort-end-of-new-cba-deal-now-close-to-payday/
NFLCBA2011_20Cover.jpg

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

Correct again.. Un-Drafted rookies can renegotiate after 2 seasons because the maximum length of their contracts is only 3 years..

Renegotiations
Drafted rookie: Contract cannot be renegotiated, amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player's third year.

Undrafted rookie: Contract cannot be renegotiated, amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player's second year.
https://www.ninersnation.com/2014/5/16/5723510/breaking-down-the-cba-rookie-contracts

Scirca

Rookie
I'd be lying if i said it didn't bother me that Aaron Donald wants a contract extension, especially when they just got a new coaching staff. I cannot respect that. He must show up for training camp; the new coaching staff shouldn't tolerate this kind of money-grabbing behavior.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This ^ is just another " Non Story, Story to fill a blank page!!

Donald didn't say anything one way or another or even Iffy! Some report just trying to make something out of nothing! JMHO!

Edit: He's the same Old Donald, he's perfecting his game, and letting the Agent's workout the Contract issues! He'll be in camp.

Agreed, Pro Football Shit is on the same level as walterfootball. Bunch of snark with snarky sheep comments.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'd be lying if i said it didn't bother me that Aaron Donald wants a contract extension, especially when they just got a new coaching staff. I cannot respect that. He must show up for training camp; the new coaching staff shouldn't tolerate this kind of money-grabbing behavior.
While I mostly agree, sometimes you have to make exceptions for players who are in their own league or class. It's not Donald's fault he has a new coaching staff, he's proven his worth. Thing is, the NFL operates around a CAP formula, and he is as aware of those constraints as anyone else. Donald is young, so he probably cares more about the money than being on a consistent play-off team right now, where a lot of the older vets may want a ring as they close out a career, and perhaps be more flexible about salary demand. The Rams may also not want to set a precedent which collapses the way teams handle situations like this in the future. While it's up to Donald and his agent whether he wants to take the low road and skip training camp, as it stands, the Rams team don't have the available CAP to unload the Brinks truck at his doorway, even if they wanted to. The Rams are only showing a little better than $3.mil of CAP being available, and we still have a free agency/waiver period ahead. A few months ago I would have just said to dump Tru Johnson and get this thing done with Donald, and following the huge raise given to Austin, the Rams have at least two players who don't deserve to be commanding absolutely top dollar at their respective positions. Next season, TruJo is likely off the books, and Austin may be looking like a CAP casualty if his numbers don't get much better. Donald has already been hit with the 5'th year option for 2018, increasing his CAP to $6.9 mil., up from this years $3.2 mil. The Rams don't have to pay Donald quite this soon, they kind of have him over a barrel for 3 or 4 years once you start considering the option of making him a key 'franchise' player going forward, although i'm sure the Rams would prefer keeping their best player happy by giving him his due. Tru Johnson's combined with the poor Austin contract really affects how we deal with Donald in 2017, although once the season gets under way, and should the Rams find they have more than the traditional $3-4 mil on hand to get thru any emergency hires in case of injuries, the team could conceivably find a way to pass some of it on to Donald. Donald and his agent can rattle the cage all they want, the Rams know they have to make this right sooner than later, it's all pretty clear, but I suspect it will be 2018 before Donald truly enters into the banking business. If he holds out of camp this season, his stock certainly diminishes in my eyes, but I don't believe he'll do that. jmo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams are paying a top 50 WR top 3 WR money, Rams are paying a CB who's not top 10, maybe not even top 20, the most money for a CB, and possibly the best defensive player in all of the NFL doesn't deserve his?
Pay the man

bnw

Pro Bowler
Quite frankly, I believe that the Rams should have torn up his contract and offered him a new deal after his second season. Some players just transcend the status quo.

Hindsight is 20/20. But yeah after his sophomore season it was clear he is a force. Perhaps he wasn't willing since he figured a huge pay day via free agency was likely?

fearsomefour

Legend
I must say I'm surprised by him. I remember his respones before he signed the rookie contract, he said thing like "I just wanna play football and get this contract done as soon as possible (told his agent this)"..... A few years later and lots of success, is he the same kid?
He is a guy working a job with a very high injury rate that may have one shot at a big payday. I don't blame him.
Get that bonus money. A couple of injuries that slow him or him losing a step or two and he is just a solid DT. He would be a fool to not get it while he can.
Scarcity creates market, a lack of something creates value. Right now there is one guy with his skill set at his position. Couldn't quickly be just a guy.
Pay up.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is a guy working a job with a very high injury rate that may have one shot at a big payday. I don't blame him.
Get that bonus money. A couple of injuries that slow him or him losing a step or two and he is just a solid DT. He would be a fool to not get it while he can.
Scarcity creates market, a lack of something creates value. Right now there is one guy with his skill set at his position. Couldn't quickly be just a guy.
Pay up.
The Rams are not obligated to give him one thin dime, because he's still under contract.

I understand the injury argument and have made it in various circumstances in the past, and the Rams acknowledge that he has outplayed his rookie contract. What I said in later post that he will not get the top pay as he would at contract time (couple years), because he is trading top dollar for security, is valid. I'll answer my own question that he is not the same player we drafted because he now has something to lose and much to gain. The "just get the contract thing done so I can play football" Aaron Donald, is now chasing the dime, which is ok I guess.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams are not obligated to give him one thin dime, because he's still under contract.

I understand the injury argument and have made it in various circumstances in the past, and the Rams acknowledge that he has outplayed his rookie contract. What I said in later post that he will not get the top pay as he would at contract time (couple years), because he is trading top dollar for security, is valid. I'll answer my own question that he is not the same player we drafted because he now has something to lose and much to gain. The "just get the contract thing done so I can play football" Aaron Donald, is now chasing the dime, which is ok I guess.
Yep.
Rams are under no obligation to give him a new deal and he is under no obligation to stick around after his rookie deal.
Different people would have different takes. In his spot I would care about the bonus since that is what is guarenteed.
Want a shorter deal, 4 years (replacing the last two of the rookie deal and two more) with a low yearly number? Cool. Just cut me a $14M bonus check today.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is ridiculous.....and bad form....look at Tavon's deal...Brockers deal....I won't even go into Tru's deal...but I will hark back to Nick Foles deal....JJ's offer...that made him fire his agent...and leave asap

I understand one player doesn't MAKE the team....but this guy has been special for years...we can't pay a guy like Tavon, and low-ball Aaron Donald. Hell, we paid Woods pretty damn good too. We paid Saffold...We PAID a bunch of guys...Quinn....Pay Donald...or trade him...it's a bad look no matter where we go from here. Like we're cheap...on GOOD players...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is ridiculous.....and bad form....look at Tavon's deal...Brockers deal....I won't even go into Tru's deal...but I will hark back to Nick Foles deal....JJ's offer...that made him fire his agent...and leave asap

I understand one player doesn't MAKE the team....but this guy has been special for years...we can't pay a guy like Tavon, and low-ball Aaron Donald. Hell, we paid Woods pretty damn good too. We paid Saffold...We PAID a bunch of guys...Quinn....Pay Donald...or trade him...it's a bad look no matter where we go from here. Like we're cheap...on GOOD players...

My thoughts exactly.

It's a pretty bad situation IMO. He's been the best defensive player in the NFL, but that hasn't translated to any success for the overall team.

So now we're faced with paying him $20+million per year, which will at some point negatively impact other parts of the team..

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow so much anger over a guy with two years of contract left not being resigned fast enough for the fans.

How can you resign somebody before you've seen him in pads in the new system.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Lots of false premises floating around on this topic.

The question is NOT whether or not AD deserves a raise. It's rather how much and how soon he should get his raise. Given that he's currently under contract for 2 more years plus the Rams know that they can exercise the tag twice. That's a ton of leverage, y'all.

They've exercised the tag twice for TruJo, so we know that they sure as hell will exercise it twice for the likes of AD.

The good news is that there is a middle ground somewhere in terms of money, length of extension, and guaranteed money that can allow all parties to walk away happy.

More good news? Both sides appear to be behaving like adults and both sides want to get this done.

I foresee a happy ending to this drama.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Haahahahahahahah! He has been the best player on the field the last few years...So, he's one of the few, that the new management should/would be "safe" in assuming his production won't negatively change....LOLOLOLOL

Given that he's currently under contract for 2 more years plus the Rams know that they can exercise the tag twice. That's a ton of leverage, y'all.
Still bad form, no? Didn't we extend Tavon with 2 years left? Or was it...who was it?

Good faith offers should need a certain set of circumstances. Dude has produced...To encourage similar production, negotiate with the guy...get a fair deal done....Or, send the message that we're low-balling the best player on the team, and see how far that gets us.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Haahahahahahahah! He has been the best player on the field the last few years...So, he's one of the few, that the new management should/would be "safe" in assuming his production won't negatively change....LOLOLOLOL

Still bad form, no? Didn't we extend Tavon with 2 years left? Or was it...who was it?

Good faith offers should need a certain set of circumstances. Dude has produced...To encourage similar production, negotiate with the guy...get a fair deal done....Or, send the message that we're low-balling the best player on the team, and see how far that gets us.

C'mon, Champ.

The Rams ARE negotiating.
They are willing to do a fair deal, I think. Haven't seen evidence to the contrary, anyway.
Who's advocating the lowballing of AD? Nobody that I've seen or heard.

Now, if your definition of lowballing is to not give AD a blank check... Then yeah, they are lowballing, I guess.

And you might have a future in either politics or the political media. Lol.

bnw

Pro Bowler
The "just get the contract thing done so I can play football" Aaron Donald, is now chasing the dime, which is ok I guess.

Sure it is since the guy sitting across the table did just that.....he chased his dime all the way to the Pacific Ocean.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Wow so much anger over a guy with two years of contract left not being resigned fast enough for the fans.

Well his job is rushing the QB.....