Aaron Donald has watched Darious Williams make plays in practice for years

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
USATSI_14765489.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

November 20, 2020 4:03 pm
Darious Williams has burst onto the scene as a key player for the Rams this season, going from reserve corner last year to ranking third in the NFL with four interceptions in 2020. His rise has been fun to watch, making a huge impact defensively opposite Jalen Ramsey at cornerback.
To many, this was an unexpected emergence. But for those inside the Rams’ facility, he’s been impressing the coaching staff and his teammates for a while.

In speaking to the media Friday, Aaron Donald said he’s watched Williams make plays consistently in practice for years. It was just that he didn’t get the chance to start because of the players who were ahead of him on the depth chart – guys like Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Nickell Robey-Coleman and even Troy Hill.

View: https://twitter.com/StuJRams/status/1329887070580404224?s=20

Williams originally joined the Rams as a waiver claim by the team back in 2018 after the Ravens waived him. It seemed like an inconsequential move at the time, with the team just churning the roster and seeking depth at cornerback.

They obviously recognized his potential and saw the type of player he could become, but even the coaching staff probably didn’t expect him to become a Pro Bowl-caliber corner in his first season as a starter.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
USATSI_14765489.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

November 20, 2020 4:03 pm
Darious Williams has burst onto the scene as a key player for the Rams this season, going from reserve corner last year to ranking third in the NFL with four interceptions in 2020. His rise has been fun to watch, making a huge impact defensively opposite Jalen Ramsey at cornerback.
To many, this was an unexpected emergence. But for those inside the Rams’ facility, he’s been impressing the coaching staff and his teammates for a while.

In speaking to the media Friday, Aaron Donald said he’s watched Williams make plays consistently in practice for years. It was just that he didn’t get the chance to start because of the players who were ahead of him on the depth chart – guys like Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Nickell Robey-Coleman and even Troy Hill.

View: https://twitter.com/StuJRams/status/1329887070580404224?s=20

Williams originally joined the Rams as a waiver claim by the team back in 2018 after the Ravens waived him. It seemed like an inconsequential move at the time, with the team just churning the roster and seeking depth at cornerback.

They obviously recognized his potential and saw the type of player he could become, but even the coaching staff probably didn’t expect him to become a Pro Bowl-caliber corner in his first season as a starter.

It kind of makes you wonder why they didn't extend his contract.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It kind of makes you wonder why they didn't extend his contract.

Probably the same logic that said we didn't need to extend Greg Zeurline.
Sometimes people out smart themselves.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Probably the same logic that said we didn't need to extend Greg Zeurline.
Sometimes people out smart themselves.
Zuerlein would have been super expensive for a player that they could have replaced if they've done a little better scouting.
I don't really fault them on that one except for they should have found a better replacement in college.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Zuerlein would have been super expensive for a player that they could have replaced if they've done a little better scouting.
I don't really fault them on that one except for they should have found a better replacement in college.

We can agree to disagree.
Finding a good kicker isn't a guarantee. Many teams learn this lesson the hard way.
Yes, Zeurline cost a few bucks more than someone off the street - because he's a lot better.
Players have down years sometimes but dammit, when a guy you drafted is a proven commodity and a fan favorite, and you are planning on contending, you keep em.

I understood that McVay wanted to mix things up and make some changes in his coaching staff but I really wonder why letting go of Fassell was at all necessary.
We should have stuck with GZ. I felt that way at the time, felt that way when he missed a couple for Dallas and I certainly wish he was our kicker on Monday night.
If the Rams wanted to keep GZ, they would have found that money somewhere. We got cute and rolled some very big dice on STs and I wasn't a fan of it.
For every bit that Staley has proven to be a great choice and swapping Fowler for Floyd was brilliant, the Bonamego-Sloman-Forbath-Gay kicking situation is a disaster. THANK F*****' GOD it hasn't cost us a meaningful game yet.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We can agree to disagree.
Finding a good kicker isn't a guarantee. Many teams learn this lesson the hard way.
Yes, Zeurline cost a few bucks more than someone off the street - because he's a lot better.
Players have down years sometimes but dammit, when a guy you drafted is a proven commodity and a fan favorite, and you are planning on contending, you keep em.

I understood that McVay wanted to mix things up and make some changes in his coaching staff but I really wonder why letting go of Fassell was at all necessary.
We should have stuck with GZ. I felt that way at the time, felt that way when he missed a couple for Dallas and I certainly wish he was our kicker on Monday night.
If the Rams wanted to keep GZ, they would have found that money somewhere. We got cute and rolled some very big dice on STs and I wasn't a fan of it.
For every bit that Staley has proven to be a great choice and swapping Fowler for Floyd was brilliant, the Bonamego-Sloman-Forbath-Gay kicking situation is a disaster. THANK F*****' GOD it hasn't cost us a meaningful game yet.
And good scouting to find a good kicker could have cured all that fiasco.

Salary caps are structured so you can't spend a lot of money on *somewhat* part-time positions.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Serious, ouch!

Here‘s the tweet. Thank you, Baltimore!

View: https://twitter.com/ravens/status/1048604651355082755?s=21

It is more than a little mind blowing that a good personnel team like Baltimore could waive a guy as good as D Will has proven himself to be.

Maybe it was his size. That's what pushed Russell Wilson down into the third round. SeaHawks still didn't realize what they had even after they drafted him and were planning on a guy from Green Bay (I think) who had one big game and got a big contract as their starter.

Or maybe it was coming from a lesser known program. Reminds me a bit of Kurt Warner in terms of not knowing what you've got until you actually get a guy on the field and see him play. Can't help but wonder how often this happens in the NFL....

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Honestly, I'd put a first round tender on Williams - and at his age, talent, and production, I wouldn't be shocked to see a team take that offer.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
understood that McVay wanted to mix things up and make some changes in his coaching staff but I really wonder why letting go of Fassell was at all necessary.

I can't remember the exact game, but I do remember Fassel calling a fake punt from the end zone and
McVay was VERY pissed. You could read McVay lips saying to Fassel " what are you doing"
The game was close to the end of the season

EDIT: Found it

View: https://twitter.com/camdasilva/status/1211408978904801282?s=20

Last edited:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Honestly, I'd put a first round tender on Williams - and at his age, talent, and production, I wouldn't be shocked to see a team take that offer.
Would be ok with the high tender to retain Williams but don’t see a team giving him a big contract, and giving up a #1 pick.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All is not Rosey in Fassel-Zuerlein land

Winners and Losers: John Fassel chief complaint as Cowboys fall again
Share this article

USATSI_14790926.jpg

K.D. Drummond

September 27, 2020 9:27 pm

The Dallas Cowboys weren’t in a must-win situation, but they may certainly look back on their performance against the Seattle Seahawks in Week 3 as a sign that they weren’t ready for primetime. In a late afternoon game that stretched into evening hours, the Cowboys saw the sun set on a second-straight comeback attempt.
Dallas once again rallied from a 15-point second-half deficit, but there was plenty of time remaining on the clock this time. So much so Russell Wilson was able to engineer another touchdown drive, throwing his fifth of the game. The ebb and flow of the game saw many players rise to the occasion, and other folks fail when they were desperately needed. Here’s a look at the winners and losers from Week 3.
Loser: Special Teams coach John Fassel
From earlier this week:

View: https://twitter.com/GehlkenNFL/status/1309158083130785795?s=20

OK, so this is really his fault, because the Cowboys’ fundamentals were putrid once again this game. After fumbling four times in the first quarter last week, failing a two-point conversion and two fake punts, things got glossed over when the Falcons failed to field the onside kick and Dallas subsequently won the game. Well, the fundamentals and special teams were horrible for the second week in a row and that Atlanta miscue is the only thing standing between Dallas and an 0-3 start.
In this game, Dallas lost out on numerous points thanks to special teams miscues. There were two missed extra points, a muffed kickoff return that directly resulted in a safety and a missed two-point conversion only attempted because they had to chase points.
For all of the fanfare Fassel received coming over from Los Angeles, the reason Sean McVay and the Rams fired Fassel are starting to show. Three weeks in, the excuses of no preseason and a truncated training camp are fading away.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yup that's it, there was no way Bones would be back after that. You just can't do things like that behind the HC's back.
I think I know what it said on the iPad that the assistant hands Bones at the end of the clip.

You're fired.