a thought about Foles, O-line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So I went to TC on sunday, battled a bit of a headache (understatement) but for the most part I had a great time.

As many have heard, the o-line is getting it's ass kicked right now. I wouldn't even call it lopsided. It's one sided.
Isn't that what we should expect from our d-line? I think so.
The issue is that Foles is trying to learn these plays, his different progressions, his recievers.
Yes, he is holding the ball too long, but if he doesnt, he is simply getting to his first read only.
And it's not just the d-line. Williams is sending an extra rusher from somewhere on every freaking play. LBs, DBs... all in the blitz mix. It's brutal.

Imo, this is how you fast track a rookie O-line to prepare them for the regular season in a hurry. No training wheels, no soft zone D that lets the offense feel good about themselves.... none of that.

Foles has a young and hungry QB coach who sees what's happening. His OC is a QB Coach... Garcia is there too. There is no way this isn't the number 1 priority to fix at the QB position. I think for now, they want him to keep reading the field, keep making his progressions. Learn the plays under duress. His recievers are being covered, his linemen are being beat... this is the heat of the forge.

Our ability to run the ball will be what determines the success we will or wont have on offense.
Play action will be how passes are completed. Especially early on.

We've had great technicians across the o-line in recent years. They've just been totally physically out matched. That won't be the case this year. I think Coach Beaudreau can teach the technique... he couldn't teach Wells to be more powerful, or Joseph to be more athletic.

Foles and the o-line are the keys to the season.... and they are struggling. After seeing it in person though, I'm not nearly as concerned as I would be from reading these reports. (Which have been awesome and accurate Btw)

Big Game

Living The Dream
So I went to TC on sunday, battled a bit of a headache (understatement) but for the most part I had a great time.

As many have heard, the o-line is getting it's ass kicked right now. I wouldn't even call it lopsided. It's one sided.
Isn't that what we should expect from our d-line? I think so.
The issue is that Foles is trying to learn these plays, his different progressions, his recievers.
Yes, he is holding the ball too long, but if he doesnt, he is simply getting to his first read only.
And it's not just the d-line. Williams is sending an extra rusher from somewhere on every freaking play. LBs, DBs... all in the blitz mix. It's brutal.

Imo, this is how you fast track a rookie O-line to prepare them for the regular season in a hurry. No training wheels, no soft zone D that lets the offense feel good about themselves.... none of that.

Foles has a young and hungry QB coach who sees what's happening. His OC is a QB Coach... Garcia is there too. There is no way this isn't the number 1 priority to fix at the QB position. I think for now, they want him to keep reading the field, keep making his progressions. Learn the plays under duress. His recievers are being covered, his linemen are being beat... this is the heat of the forge.

Our ability to run the ball will be what determines the success we will or wont have on offense.
Play action will be how passes are completed. Especially early on.

We've had great technicians across the o-line in recent years. They've just been totally physically out matched. That won't be the case this year. I think Coach Beaudreau can teach the technique... he couldn't teach Wells to be more powerful, or Joseph to be more athletic.

Foles and the o-line are the keys to the season.... and they are struggling. After seeing it in person though, I'm not nearly as concerned as I would be from reading these reports. (Which have been awesome and accurate Btw)

Great read and i totally agree with you. I was able to attend camp last Saturday and i agree with you they are sending everything at Foles and the O Line and this will only go a long way in helping them be prepared for the season.

I have no worries unless we see the starting OLine getting beat horribly in preseason or Foles not being able to make reads against a vanilla defense.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
The refiners FIRE will definately get rid of all the slag. Its the smartest and fastest way to see improvement from all of our pups and keep hands off Foles when they break free. Once the pads are on I expect to see at least a glimmer of hope , as it will be more natural and at least a blow of some strength can initially be given and as a longtime ORT I can't imagine being judged already before I get to hit you with my shoulder pads on.

I'm too smart to break my shoulder and just live off my hand fighting skills as a rookie against our 1st round studs on DL. Lets take another look once the pads and helmets start taking stripes. Keep the fire burning as hot as we can as long as we can. Foles needs this training also for his Eye skills to be upgraded as we all knew He needed to upgrade his skill in that area already. Warner after playing Arena ball always excelled in reading defenses pre-and after snap as one of his greatest strengths. This will be great for Foles to get nothing given to him easy. I LOVE IT. Now Gaines get back on field and NO INJURIES ANYWHERE. Gurley show improved healing signs please.

I can see that the frustration can ONLY help our OL units to be forced to Gel so much quicker when you get torched non-stop. It will bring out your very finest and force you to dig deeper than you ever thought you were able to go. I just hope it won't get to one guy turning into a scapegoat if he is the only one getting blown up. Then Coach Bou has to make a decision to ride it out or make a switch, while the other watches and learns something.

We have a giant mountain to climb this season IF we go injury free. Have patience guys as long as we can keep Foles upright and injury free through pre-season. Intermediate passes must be one of our go to weapons. May see 3rd and longs a lot early on and will need these go to plays. Stay positive as we need every day we have to make it happen.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@badnews ...great report man....keep that tylenol with you, lol...forged in fire, like that analogy...Foles feet need to be fixed...so Cig & Weinke & Garcia have some work to do....it's good they have basically all agreed he needs to learn how to deal with pressure...

Here's hoping my boy Wichmann can return soon...Has Washington, Bond and Williams looked as bad as some of the other reports? How about Donnal? How about those centers? Any others that have attended camp can chime in too...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm not particularly worried either. We have a young and inexperienced together O-line and QB vs a D that has the potential to be one of, if not the best defenses in the league. Of course they're going to look bad in the first few goings, this is when the D looks it's best and guys like Donald, Quinn, Brockers and co are going to make most look like complete fools. They did the same to GRob last year and he wasn't nearly as abysmal as everyone thought he was going to be. I'm glad they're destroying them, working against them will make them stronger for it and if they can get the advantage over them I feel like they can get the advantage over anyone.

Take the early days of TC with a grain of salt, because they are not the end all be all of a team.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I agree with you. And most importantly I think we need to remember all of this has been without pads. When the pads go on we can really see where they are at.

But our D line is the best there is, IMO so they (OL) may think it's "easy" when they face everyone else :)

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@badnews

Here's hoping my boy Wichmann can return soon...Has Washington, Bond and Williams looked as bad as some of the other reports? How about Donnal? How about those centers? Any others that have attended camp can chime in too...

The only thought I had on Donnal was that with tribal tatoos on his arms, he would look like Kyle Turley.
Pretty weak observation, I know.

Williams looked like he didn't belong out there. Just fodder. But I may have only keyed in on him a couple of times total.
Bond and Washington made no good impressions.

Havenstein moves really well for his size, I thought. Not nearly as lumbering as I had imagined.
GROB is trimmer. I think he is going to be fine at LT... at the least he should play faster, and he certainly looks the part.

Rhaney is the most gifted Center on the roster imo. If he has the mind to go along with his size and athleticism, he could win it easily. Tim Barnes is just thoroughly outmatched by someone every play.
It's between Jones and Rhaney.

Also: I remember attending camp the year that Quinn made the leap to dominance. He looked poised to break out. He was "in the zone". His ability just leaped out at you.
Well Jenkins, Ogletree and Brockers all seemed to be in that same zone. I don't know how much weight Brockers has lost, or how it will effect his ability to hold up at NT, but he is looking like he's ready to blow up.
Ogletree looks comfortable, and cut. He is practicing faster, having fun and looks like a different player. I think he comes out of the gate playing his best football yet.
Jenkins was all over anyone lined up against him. He seemed much more physical and focused. No trash talking, just wet blanket coverage and had great position all day.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Thanks Dave. I appreciate the report. Keep focusing on what you see. It's roughly the same as me. Maybe one of these years I could get up there............

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Foles and the o-line are the keys to the season.... and they are struggling. After seeing it in person though, I'm not nearly as concerned as I would be from reading these reports
Great insight. But just so I understand you, you're not nearly as concerned as you were because you now think that they are diliberately throwing the book at Fole & the Oline? Is that what I hear you saying?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great insight. But just so I understand you, you're not nearly as concerned as you were because you now think that they are diliberately throwing the book at Fole & the Oline? Is that what I hear you saying?

Yeah, that's the jist of it.
I think it makes sense in a few ways.
Both sides are benefitting from this aggressive approach.
My only concern is whether the offense can build a rhythm this way?

Opposing teams will look at the Rams pass protection as a weakness to exploit. I expect to see them throw the kitchen sink at our line and see if Foles can make good choices under duress. By practicing this way, our guys will be used to the bullets flying and hopefully overcome the pressure.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Thanks Dave. I appreciate the report. Keep focusing on what you see. It's roughly the same as me. Maybe one of these years I could get up there............

Thanks Jeff. It would be great to meet you and "Silver Rose" and take in a day or two of camp. Maybe between the two of us working together, we might be able to catch half as much as some of these other guys...