A sweeping indictment of Fisher's O fubar...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
And the same thing can be said about every skill position player we drafted on Offense.

Sted used to get open, although it was not usually wide open. Except for Bradford and now, Jared, we did not have a QB capable of hitting him consistently in tight traffic.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I always said Fisher was too damn stubborn for his own good. He could not allow his thinking to evolve with the rest of the NFL.

Zero

Pro Bowler
You're right. We'll have the answer in the next 24 months or so....but i strongly disagree that somehow the Rams just couldn't draft and develop offensive talent, yet they were able to do so quite successfully on defense and special teams.

Right on Freaking point Mojo.
There are a lot of players who have come and gone in the NFL
who, had they had the right coaching their careers would have
been completely different.
I have a feeling there was a bit of that happening here in fisherland.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The scheme under Fisher was bad, but in my opinion the depleted talent was the reason the offense was so bad under Fisher. The line play was bad, the receivers were bad, the running game was good/great, and outside of Bradford the QB play was bad. How much of that was poor scheming vs bad talent? We'll find out this year, but I don't think just changing the coaching will be the magical fairy dust everybody is hoping for. It will help and an average offense with a solid defense will go a long way, but I still don't think this is anywhere near a good offense.

Let me just put it this way:
Defense
Trumaine Johnson (3rd)
Janoris Jenkins (2nd)
Rodney McLeod (UDFA)
T.J. McDonald (3rd)
Maurice Alexander (4th)
Alec Ogletree (1st)
Michael Brockers (top 15)
Aaron Donald (top 15)
William Hayes (cheap FA)
Dominique Easley (cheap FA)
Cortland Finnegan (expensive FA)
Kendall Langford (expensive FA)
E.J. Gaines (6th)

Offense
Jared Goff (#1 overall)
Greg Robinson (#2 overall)
Tavon Austin (top 10 pick)
Todd Gurley (top 10 pick)
Jake Long (expensive FA)
Scott Wells (expensive FA)
Garrett Reynolds (cheap FA)
Jared Cook (expensive FA)
Kenny Britt (cheap FA)
Rob Havenstein (2nd)
Jamon Brown (3rd)
Joe Barksdale (cheap FA)
Brian Quick (2nd)
Stedman Bailey (3rd)
Isaiah Pead (2nd)
Tyler Higbee (4th)
Pharoh Cooper (4th)
Chris Givens (4th)
Tre Mason (3rd)

I might have missed a few players, but my point wouldn't change if they were added. Here are the major additions of the Fisher era. Look at the defensive and offensive lists. How many of our big defensive additions panned out?(all) How many of our minor defensive additions panned out?(at least a handful) How many of our big offensive additions panned out? How many of our minor offensive additions panned out?

Where did we spend more assets?

Now, we can just chalk it up to bad talent evaluation. However, I don't think it's that simple. I think it's more bad talent development and utilization than talent evaluation. After all, our talent evaluation wasn't lacking on the defensive side of the ball.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You can bet Jeff Fisher will be a serious topic of discussion for this upcoming season. And if McVay starts his career winning games, many of us will have confirmation that Fisher could not develop the talent we had outside of the secondary. Which as you say is already well established,

But just consider what will happen if McVay loses -- it will be 10x worse.

I mean, Fisher apologists will have a say, and McVay defenders will appeal to his youth and inexperience compared to Fisher and give the guy a break. And a hundred variations there of

I don't see how you can get around Fisher talk for another 15 months.

And until that time I don't see how Jeff Fisher's legacy isn't avalid topic on this or any Ram discussion boards

Nor do I see how discussing past Ram's regimes in anyway shape or form interferes with how one enjoys the weekend. For many of us this topic brings us enjoyment. Anyway

GO RAMS!!!

Bandwagon fans might be upset with a 7-9 record in McVay's first year, not real fans imo. Our QB is barely out of diapers, our RB had no OL, QB or WR's offering support last season, our receivers are basically all year one or two guys, except for Austin who no one has known what to do with. The only thing functioning on our team is special teams & defense, and even they get exhausted in the 4'th quarter without any offensive help. Now, another season like Fisher's 4-12, I can see your point, but I see no way of that happening unless we are somehow struck by lightening again and suffer injuries all across the board. Yes, we are a very young team again, although our offense is barely recognizable by last years standards, and the only direction possible is up. We've now added a pro-bowl LT and a quality vet Center to the fold with our best OL player of the last several years starting between them. The left side of the line is now a position of strength, not of weakness. The right side may be in flux, but considering the poor play at RG last season and the injury to Havenstein at RT, even with GRob involved, this area of the unit can't do much worse, and with Kromer as coach and Whitworth as mentor, it could easily go from mediocre to very good in a snap, we just won't know for awhile, although I do have reason to be optimistic. With just an average OL, Gurley can flourish, and I happen to believe we'll be better than just average. We may still be dealing with rookie receivers for the most part, but if Goff is improved somewhat in his sophomore year behind a far more solid OL, and Gurley has the same benefit, our young receiving corp is going to get plenty of opportunities. Woods is going to be the go-to route runner that Goff can expect to be where he belongs, Higbee will be expected to step up and assume his rightful role as lead TE, Kupp is the one rookie whose skills should elevate him immediately because of his own route skills and hands, and our many other youngsters in Everett, Reynolds, Cooper & Thomas will have every opportunity to rise to the occasion. On top of all this, add whatever they might manage to squeeze out of Austin and our new RB receiving threat in Lance Dunbar. Of course, failing to mention our new jack of all trades, swiss army knife FB Sam Rogers would be a huge mistake as his own skill-set in delivering an offensive punch goes without fanfare, just his pass pro alone gives Goff a feature which didn't exist last year. Now, some might say this is the kool-aid side of a homer speaking, but these are the skills we drafted, and I don't expect them all to be running at 100% in McVay's opening year, but this is what is coming, just how soon should be the real question. jmo.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I think the depth of Fisher's O incompetence is worthy of interest, Ramlock. It was historic. Literally.

This piece put it all into better context than any I have yet seen.

Why, the topic of his back to back to back OC hires of Schotty, Cignetti, and Boras, alone, is worthy of a chapter or two in a book.

Mind boggling.

Post what interests you.....that's why I'm a regular in the "No Pirates....." thread.

I'm done with the Fisher sucks party.....
It's tired :sleep:

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Comparing past and present regimes will be part of our conversations for at least 2017 season and I think even longer.

The best thing might be to ignore the Fisher posts or completely do as you say and enjoy your hammock while those of us engage in such trifle talk

I mean,
Hopes are high that McVay and Co will get the best out of our talent and we will start playing respectable football again. Tough, smart, comprehensive, competitive freakin' football.

You can bet Jeff Fisher will be a serious topic of discussion for this upcoming season. And if McVay starts his career winning games, many of us will have confirmation that Fisher could not develop the talent we had outside of the secondary. Which as you say is already well established,

But just consider what will happen if McVay loses -- it will be 10x worse.

I mean, Fisher apologists will have a say, and McVay defenders will appeal to his youth and inexperience compared to Fisher and give the guy a break. And a hundred variations there of

I don't see how you can get around Fisher talk for another 15 months.

And until that time I don't see how Jeff Fisher's legacy isn't avalid topic on this or any Ram discussion boards

Nor do I see how discussing past Ram's regimes in anyway shape or form interferes with how one enjoys the weekend. For many of us this topic brings us enjoyment. Anyway

GO RAMS!!!

Post hard man!

Yeah, I think I will dodge the Fisher pitchfork party

All the best to you though!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think McVay is a young Vermiel type coach in his ability to make people feel good, but also has a bit more to him in knowledge of the game. It's going to be a potent combination for a head coach IMO. Hopefully quickly, but either way it's just a matter of time.

Fish got too comfortable. He relaxed too much, didn't put nearly as much focus into the offense from the staff on down, identity matching personnel, etc. Also think he got too country club with the shorts and shells and the team being so up and down had a lot to do with all that; they didn't get enough hitting and physical practices.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
A six month old column that told me nothing that I didn't already know other than the author's opinion that Fisher would be back in '17.

Posts like this are a curiosity to me.

More recycled dirt on the grave of the Fisher regime will result in what, exactly?

It's a beautiful day in May, I have the grass to mow and then off to the golf course. And then, there will be Stanley Cup playoff hockey to watch later.

Life is good!
Hey Ramlock, what part of Arkansas are you from? BTW you are correct it was a beautiful day here in the Fort Smith area.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Hey Ramlock, what part of Arkansas are you from? BTW you are correct it was a beautiful day here in the Fort Smith area.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Fort Smith?

Damn my wife's relatives live in Fort Smith and I visit there reluctantly every other year - next time i'm up I'll consider it a Rams roadie and meet up with you Arkys for a few cold ones!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It's a double edged sword man.

You can absolutely put it on Fisher that the offense was a wreck, but I don't think that you can put it all on scheme. We may see some fan favorites leave because the players just weren't as good as the previous management made them out to be.

I don't want it to be so, I want McVay to come in and turn things around for the offense on day one, but put simply you have to give the new coach at least three years to bring in and develop his own talent on both sides of the ball, to include how that plays out for special teams.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think Fish wanted to change, and he made an effort (though I'm unsure how serious) to bring in some outside help for offense. However, everyone could already see that the writing was on the wall in STL/LA and no one wanted to try and help bail water from a sinking ship.

I consider myself optimistic and yet guardedly dubious when it comes to any coaching hire at this point, because we've seen it all now over the course of the last decade. Hot OC hire, Hot DC hire, salty vet...you get the picture. The biggest part will be the change in mentality for this team. I do agree with the line of thinking that Fisher coddled the team a bit much, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that McVay is going to come in and light a fire under anyone's ass either.