A Surprise FA Target...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Bruce Irvin

This would be the most Snisher move ever after clearing all that cap space. Weaken a division rival and strengthen their favorite part of the team with a young dynamic pass rusher on his second contract. Eagles recently signed Vinny Curry which sets the market at 5 years 47.25 with 23 million guaranteed. Not unreasonable and much cheaper than Chris Long's old contract.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
He's available? I wouldn't be too upset about it. As long as the pay is reasonable.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am sure he will be considered.

BTW why is this topic in the draft section?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Plop down $10m a year for a LB? We're likely moving Tree inside and they want to bring Barron back in a LB roll. We have Akheem Ayers still signed. I think Irvin is a good player I just don't see it as a position that needs to be addressed in free agency with a salary cap hit like he'll take. With our secondary free agents and Hayes and Sims who really need to be resigned more than we need to sign a free agent LB. Just my 2 cents.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Anything may happen, but I don't believe what the OP suggests is the solution. The DE position is quite deep in this years draft, so I suspect Hayes and a draft pick will occupy Long's old spot. Can also see Sims being replaced, whether with a current Rams depth player or later in the draft. Just a hunch, but I think WR will be higher on the list for free agent acquisitions this season. jmo.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Plop down $10m a year for a LB? We're likely moving Tree inside and they want to bring Barron back in a LB roll. We have Akheem Ayers still signed. I think Irvin is a good player I just don't see it as a position that needs to be addressed in free agency with a salary cap hit like he'll take. With our secondary free agents and Hayes and Sims who really need to be resigned more than we need to sign a free agent LB. Just my 2 cents.

In our system he would play more snaps at DE than LB and we currently dont have any Left ends signed on our roster (hopefully we get Hayes back, which changes things). I am not necessarily advocating for us to sign him, but I wouldn't be surprised if Snisher targeted him. I estimate the cost of bringing back our core guys Jenks $10m/year, Tru $9m/year, Rodney $5.5m/year, Hayes $5m/yr, and Barron $5m/yr for a total of $36.5 million out of 60-66 million in total cap space. Even after signing all their own, which isn't a guarantee the rams rams will have room to make a splash for at least 1 outside FA. Odds are that outside guy will be on the offensive side of the ball, but I wouldn't be shocked if Snisher went after a vet DE.

Irvin is one dimensional. No thanks.

Have to disagree there in Seattle he split time equally as a pass rusher and stand up LB dropping in coverage.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In our system he would play more snaps at DE than LB and we currently dont have any Left ends signed on our roster (hopefully we get Hayes back, which changes things). I am not necessarily advocating for us to sign him, but I wouldn't be surprised if Snisher targeted him. I estimate the cost of bringing back our core guys Jenks $10m/year, Tru $9m/year, Rodney $5.5m/year, Hayes $5m/yr, and Barron $5m/yr for a total of $36.5 million out of 60-66 million in total cap space. Even after signing all their own, which isn't a guarantee the rams rams will have room to make a splash for at least 1 outside FA. Odds are that outside guy will be on the offensive side of the ball, but I wouldn't be shocked if Snisher went after a vet DE.

Have to disagree there in Seattle he split time equally as a pass rusher and stand up LB dropping in coverage.

It doesn't mean he was good at both. His best position would be 3/4 rush LBer IMO

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but we didn't just dump all that salary to only pay the Migos $19M between them.

That's just way, way too low for this market. The Raiders are desperate for CBs and have over $70M in cap space. You think one of our guys aren't going to be in that top $14M tier? I do. The other will be in that $10M tier if not above. People will question paying JJ and Tru more than Chris Harris and Aqib Talib, but that's the market right now. If both were up for FA, they'd be looking at massive paychecks as well.

McLeod, Barron and Hayes may be reasonable, make no mistake, we are going to pay retail for both JJ and TruJo.

I'm on record as saying that between them, it'll be $24M, but I would not be surprised if it were more.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Personally ( Considering the Rams Let CL & JL go) I think "IF" The Rams don't go for a QB w/Their 1st 1st round pick (That's a hint as to what I think the Rams may pull;)) they well be looking for a DE or MLB in that order!! Everything depends on what we do in FA pre-Draft moves!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bruce Irvin reminds me of Jeremiah Trotter, not for the position played but that the defense he played for made him look better than what he was. Signed big free agent money and basically busted.
Re-sign Barron and draft DE seems to be some nice talent this year

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but we didn't just dump all that salary to only pay the Migos $19M between them.

That's just way, way too low for this market. The Raiders are desperate for CBs and have over $70M in cap space. You think one of our guys aren't going to be in that top $14M tier? I do. The other will be in that $10M tier if not above. People will question paying JJ and Tru more than Chris Harris and Aqib Talib, but that's the market right now. If both were up for FA, they'd be looking at massive paychecks as well.

McLeod, Barron and Hayes may be reasonable, make no mistake, we are going to pay retail for both JJ and TruJo.

I'm on record as saying that between them, it'll be $24M, but I would not be surprised if it were more.

No chance either of them are in the 14 million dollar tier. Ill take that to the bank. The 14 million tear consists of elite CBs with a proven track record Revis, Peterson, and Sherman all with multiple pro bowls and all pro team selections before signing their extensions. Jenkins and Tru have 0 pro bowls and 0 all pro team selections between them. Even with money available teams wont go crazy. IMO the ceiling for both of those guys is Byron Maxwell's 10.5 million and even then I think teams will be weary because look how that turned out. Furthermore Maxwell got that much coming off of 2 superbowl appearances as a member of the leagues number one defense. Jenkins and Tru dont have that track record, I think they will end up in the 9 mil range and maybe Jenks will hit double digits.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It's not about that. It's about fending off the Raiders and their staggering $70M cap space and their desperation to find an answer at CB.

They're going to have to spend that money on SOMEONE. And, no, I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders offered JJ $14M in order to pry him away from the Rams because that's probably what it would take to break up the Migos. The Rams will likely have to match that.

I didn't say anything about worth. Much of this FA period will be more about market than worth. Makes it a bit harder to talk about some players, I'll readily admit that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't see Irvin as a LDE, when we have RQ, at RDE.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
E. Westbrooks over Irvin. Irvin is a d!ck can't see him fitting into our locker room culture. Just my 2 cents

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
It's not about that. It's about fending off the Raiders and their staggering $70M cap space and their desperation to find an answer at CB.

They're going to have to spend that money on SOMEONE. And, no, I wouldn't be surprised if the Raiders offered JJ $14M in order to pry him away from the Rams because that's probably what it would take to break up the Migos. The Rams will likely have to match that.

I didn't say anything about worth. Much of this FA period will be more about market than worth. Makes it a bit harder to talk about some players, I'll readily admit that.

I dont care what the market is you aren't paying a guy franchise QB money without playing in a single pro bowl regardless of available cap space. The raiders had the most or second most cap space last year and their big splash was an above average deal for Center Rodney Hudson. I guess we will see, but you will be hard pressed to find many guys in this league outside of the QB and Left Tackle position making 10m plus a year without making a pro bowl let alone being paid top 5 at their position.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I don't see Irvin as a LDE, when we have RQ, at RDE.

In todays NFL guys are moved around more and the difference between LE and RE doesn't really exist, because DCs are looking for matchups. For example look at the superbowl, Von Miller a natural RE was most effective playing LE against former rams RT Mike Remmers

E. Westbrooks over Irvin. Irvin is a d!ck can't see him fitting into our locker room culture. Just my 2 cents

I think I agree with you there, because Westbrooks is a cheaper option and we really don't know what his ceiling is yet because we have shifted him back and forth between DT DE, so he hasn't been able to settle on a proper positional weight, and I think he will play DE fulltime this year, which will provide him with a more clear objective. Once again I am not advocating for a move for Irvin, but with Snisher's history it wouldn't surprise me if they made a move for him . Personally I would rather go after Marvin Jones, Wisniewski, or Ladarius Green, but I am not the GM.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In todays NFL guys are moved around more and the difference between LE and RE doesn't really exist, because DCs are looking for matchups. For example look at the superbowl, Von Miller a natural RE was most effective playing LE against former rams RT Mike Remmers

The Broncos are a base 3-4 team. Von Miller plays OLB for them. Irvin would have trouble holding up against the run in our scheme at LDE. He was a SLB/situational pass rusher for Seattle. Don't know why the Rams would pursue him. The SLB isn't valuable in our scheme and we aren't in need of a situational rusher. We need a full-time LDE.

If I'm going after a pass rusher in FA, I'm going after Olivier Vernon or JPP.(or Mario Williams on a "prove it" deal) Not Irvin.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I dont care what the market is you aren't paying a guy franchise QB money without playing in a single pro bowl regardless of available cap space. The raiders had the most or second most cap space last year and their big splash was an above average deal for Center Rodney Hudson. I guess we will see, but you will be hard pressed to find many guys in this league outside of the QB and Left Tackle position making 10m plus a year without making a pro bowl let alone being paid top 5 at their position.

Well, listen. I'd be thrilled if we got them both for under $10M each, so let's hope you get your way. I just don't think in this "new economy" that it will be that way.

I think in the new economy the Raiders need players and have money and they're going to have play players and they can keep paying middling player or they can overpay a few up and coming studs to be cornerstones and turn Oakland into a winning franchise again. They already have a franchise QB, RB, WR, and DE. Most teams don't have all those sewn up. If they could get one shut down corner and a few more pieces, they're gonna be right there. Which is why I've said it wouldn't surprise me if Oakland threw STOOPID money at our guys.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Oakland threw $14M at JJ. I agree it would be overpaying. That's been my point of contention in saying that.

Again, I hope you're right and we get them both to large, but ultimately reasonable contracts that allow us to fill out our roster and contend for a SB this year.

Maybe Oakland will spend huge on Alshon Jeffrey instead...