A Stafford trade scenario

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I put this as a response in another thread but feel like it's worth throwing out.

So.. Jourdan is being a little coy about the Stafford stuff. There's some smoke there... it seems like it's probably more generated by another team, but there's smoke.
So.. what's a fit out there that makes sense?

To me.. Atlanta.

His wife is from Georgia.. they both went to college there.. Falcons are just outside of the sweet spot for QBs this year with the #8 pick.
Arthur Smith had great success with Tannehill and I think Stafford represents a serious step above Tanny, even now... but with some similar traits.
Atlanta has the cap space and some interesting weapons and a good run game.

If you were trying to think of scenarios where someone was calling to ask about Stafford.. and Stafford was interested in moving.. this would seem to fit some very specific criteria.

I'm not saying it's going to happen... I'm saying there's SOMETHING going on.. as in conversations. How serious those are? Yet to be seen.

If you're looking for another reason to suspect... well.. Mayfield hasn't signed with anyone yet. Perhaps he's in the loop and will be the replacement.. for now.

Lot of complications because of the cap.. and I don't have all the answers with that. But I think that these are conversations that are very possibly happening right now.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I put this as a response in another thread but feel like it's worth throwing out.

So.. Jourdan is being a little coy about the Stafford stuff. There's some smoke there... it seems like it's probably more generated by another team, but there's smoke.

To me.. Atlanta.

His wife is from Georgia.. they both went to college there.. Falcons are just outside of the sweet spot for QBs this year with the #8 pick.
Arthur Smith had great success with Tannehill and I think Stafford represents a serious step above Tanny, even now... but with some similar traits.

If you were trying to think of scenarios where someone was calling to ask about Stafford.. and Stafford was interested in moving.. this would seem to fit some very specific criteria.

I'm not saying it's going to happen... I'm saying there's SOMETHING going on.. as in conversations. How serious those are? Yet to be seen.

If you're looking for another reason to suspect... well.. Mayfield hasn't signed with anyone yet. Perhaps he's in the loop and will be the replacement.. for now.

Lot of complications because of the cap.. and I don't have all the answers with that. But I think that these are conversations that are very possibly happening right now.

Are you sure that's smoke, ... seems more like purple haze.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you sure that's smoke, ... seems more like purple haze.
People outside the Rams press circle have talked about it and Jourdan, in the latest 11 Personnel, gave a very light sketch of this kind of concept.
She doesn't throw stuff like that out if it's bullshit.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Nothing wrong with that theory besides what else have we got to discuss and I do agree Jourdan does always drop some tidbits. It's not to say anything is imminent but would anything shock anyone with the rams these days???? Everything is on the table.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
If we are going to let Staff go, this would be the year imo. We have Baker who McVay can make serviceable this year and we have a first round pick next year where we can bring someone in to compete with Baker. The main thing is, Staff is McVays boy. McVay is going to make sure Staff goes to a team where he has a good oline and good receivers, and where he wants to go. That's a very limited pool imo. I think Staff would retire before going to a team where he can't win right away. I would.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

To me.. Atlanta.

Very logical & you made a good case.If your The Rams though you gave up a couple first rd picks for Stafford plus Goff,then the Picks for Ramsey.
What will The Rams get in return? Is Baker Mayfield the answer.
Listening to Les Snead talk about Baker was interesting.He never made a case either way except The Rams like him as a player & what he did to finish 2022.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Oh man, please listen to the podcast. She says Rams are invested in Stafford and not interested in trading him but have gotten calls.

She speculated that if the JETS lost out on Rodgers that maybe something could happen.

There are definitely times where she hints at things that she knows will probably happen but cannot say, this was not one of them.

But she did say keep an eye on the JETS and Stafford if Rodgers does not work out.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh man, please listen to the podcast. She says Rams are invested in Stafford and not interested in trading him but have gotten calls.

She speculated that if the JETS lost out on Rodgers that maybe something could happen.

There are definitely times where she hints at things that she knows will probably happen but cannot say, this was not one of them.

But she did say keep an eye on the JETS and Stafford if Rodgers does not work out.
Please read what I wrote, carefully.
And please re-listen to what she said.

Again.. someone is calling.. and she absolutely suggested it's *possible*.

Probable? I'd say not. But I do believe there's a team actively communicating with the Rams and Stafford about the possibility. She even talked about not having a completely clear picture of Stafford's deal herself.

Sure.. Jets could be possible as well. I'm simply looking for a situation that could be attractive to Matt and his family, as well as a football situation that makes sense and a team that has resources to make the trade.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame

I just finished listening to the podcast, and it was extremely contradictory. She spent 25+ minutes saying we're invested in Kupp, Staff and Donald, and keeping them outweighs letting them go, but then the last 2 minutes she said to keep an eye out, not just for the Jets, but any desperate team who is a qb away. Basically a team would have to blow us away with a trade offer, which I don't see happening.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Please read what I wrote, carefully.
And please re-listen to what she said.

Again.. someone is calling.. and she absolutely suggested it's *possible*.

Probable? I'd say not. But I do believe there's a team actively communicating with the Rams and Stafford about the possibility. She even talked about not having a completely clear picture of Stafford's deal herself.

Sure.. Jets could be possible as well. I'm simply looking for a situation that could be attractive to Matt and his family, as well as a football situation that makes sense and a team that has resources to make the trade.

Well, I think we can both agree that people should listen to her podcast to understand what's going on!

(I will say, it was probably one of her worst podcasts in terms of her clarity.)

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Well, I think we can both agree that people should listen to her podcast to understand what's going on!

(I will say, it was probably one of her worst podcasts in terms of her clarity.)
Another maybe bigger concern about Stafford imo is his spinal contusion causing him to miss a bunch of time or, worst case, retire. It's also a problem with trading him. What happens with his contract if he can't be cleared to play due to injury?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
If Rodgers okie dokes the Jets watch for NYJ to push for a name QB and who knows if MS come up as a target

Turducken

Starter
These trade theories don't make much sense if you look at Strafford's contract and his recent injury concerns. We can't get value from a trade unless our trading partner thinks Matt is healthy and planning to play out his current contract. Big question marks there will mean we would get crap in return.

oldnotdead

Legend
Stafford will retire before he goes to another team. Where does this stuff come from? Snead calls Stafford a pillar of the team and fans want to trade him and AD both. WTF??

Now that would be a rebuild. They can't call it that the way it's going so to justify their contention they start this stuff. Have you looked at Stafford's dead cap? Remember as shown by Ramsey all he guaranteed money stays with the Rams.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IF we trade Matthew Stafford, there is no hope for this current team. I appreciated what Baker did for us, but make no mistake, he will never win a Super Bowl for us. We might approach mediocrity with Baker, which means never getting the best QB in the draft without GM heroics and lost high draft picks for years and no help for the new QB without those picks.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They trade Stafford, Aaron Donald retires and the Rams are looking at 70 mill in dead cap. They's have to play the season with a 40 man roster to be under the cap

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no realistic Stafford trade scenario. I'm curious how we'd absorb that $54 million cap hit from trading him. Once somebody figures that out for I'll listen to Stafford trade talk.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
There is no realistic Stafford trade scenario. I'm curious how we'd absorb that $54 million cap hit from trading him. Once somebody figures that out for I'll listen to Stafford trade talk.
Jourdan was talking about this on the podcast yesterday. She was saying, while sites like "over the cap" are good, they don't go into the details of contracts that can effect money owed. I got the notion that she may have been talking about the injury aspect. She also said that she hasn't seen Staff's contract, so she doesn't know the intricacies of his contract. Either way, I think a team would really have to blow us away with a trade offer, so I doubt we move him.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
OTC: "Matt Stafford signed a four year extension worth $160 million with the Rams on March 19, 2022. Per PFT the contract contains $120 million in guarantees of which $63 million is guaranteed at signing. Stafford receives a $60 million signing bonus and his 2022 and 2023 base salaries are guaranteed. If Stafford is on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2023 league year his 2023 option bonus and 2024 base salary will be fully guaranteed. There are 3rd day of the league year roster bonuses in both 2025 and 2026"

***He's got 18.5 mil in prorated bonus money spread out from 2023 through 2026 which immediately hits our cap in a trade. A new team would not be responsible for that. His cap hit this year is 20 mil so if we keep him he costs us 20 mil and if we trade him he costs us 75.5 mil. He is untradeable until after 2024 season.

Furthermore, I don't know where fans get the idea "we gave up this to get so-in-so and if we don't get that back in a trade, it's a bad move". Really? That's the cost of having the guy on the roster for 2, 3 or 4 years. Depreciation.