A small case for McLeod

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dick84

I've felt that the bashing of McLeod this offseason was a little overdone. I felt that he, along with the rest of a very, very young D improved quite a bit as the season went on (experience & Fisher's involvment playing a key role).
Could you improve on him? Yes. Was he... bad? No, not in the second half of the season.

I think a look at the overall performance by the defense and it's improvement proves the point. You wouldn't get that kind of improvement if you had a horrific gap on your defense, in my opinion.

Here's an article I found that I feel kind of spells it out..

http://www.fantasyfootballmetrics.c...as-wrong-about-in-2013-the-st-louis-rams-dst/

I especially liked this segment of the article..

• Opposing RBs ran for 127.3 yards per game and 4.7 yards per carry against the Rams in Weeks 1-6. In weeks 7-16, those numbers dropped to an elite run-stopping unit allowing just 66.8 (a 52% output drop) and a measly 3.1 yards per carry.
  • Opposing QBs threw for 1.8 TDs and 0.5 INTs per game against the Rams-Defense in Weeks 1-6. The numbers improved greatly from Weeks 7-16: 1.0 TDs/1.0 INTs allowed per game.
  • Opposing teams scored 23.5 offensive PPG against the Rams in Weeks 1-6, and then a 24% drop to 19.0 offensive PPG in Weeks 7-16.
  • The Rams grabbed just 2.0 Sacks per game in Weeks 1-6, and then a stellar 3.7 Sacks per game during Weeks 7-16.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
  • Opposing RBs ran for 127.3 yards per game and 4.7 yards per carry against the Rams in Weeks 1-6. In weeks 7-16, those numbers dropped to an elite run-stopping unit allowing just 66.8 (a 52% output drop) and a measly 3.1 yards per carry.
  • Opposing QBs threw for 1.8 TDs and 0.5 INTs per game against the Rams-Defense in Weeks 1-6. The numbers improved greatly from Weeks 7-16: 1.0 TDs/1.0 INTs allowed per game.
  • Opposing teams scored 23.5 offensive PPG against the Rams in Weeks 1-6, and then a 24% drop to 19.0 offensive PPG in Weeks 7-16.
  • The Rams grabbed just 2.0 Sacks per game in Weeks 1-6, and then a stellar 3.7 Sacks per game during Weeks 7-16.

But Sam Bradford was the starting QB in weeks 1-6, so it's obviously his fault that we lost those games.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The second half of the season is exactly what I expect our defense to be all year in 2014.

Dick84

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The second half of the season is exactly what I expect our defense to be all year in 2014.

That's the absolute floor of what I expect out of this defense. They did that.. young and without Williams or Donald & Carrington and the new DBs. I expect this defense to be significantly better.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

Was that the point where Fisher had to take over for Walton supposedly? The issue may have been the tactics more than the personnel which makes sense for such a drastic turn around with roughly the same players

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I read somewhere Walton and Looney have opened a scrapbooking store together.

MFaulk107

The Realness
I think McLeod was pretty damn good. I was watching the 13 highlights and McLeod did his job.

But I did notice, when interceptions or any blocking was involved he was awful. He a has room to be better I believe, as of now McLeod and McDonald im not really minding.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Was that the point where Fisher had to take over for Walton supposedly? The issue may have been the tactics more than the personnel which makes sense for such a drastic turn around with roughly the same players

I think it was somewhere around that time. There was an article on it during the season.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I think McLeod was pretty damn good. I was watching the 13 highlights and McLeod did his job.

But I did notice, when interceptions or any blocking was involved he was awful. He a has room to be better I believe, as of now McLeod and McDonald im not really minding.

That's the problem with highlights. Both McLeod and McDonald were terrible in run support. Lots of missed tackes and bad angles. McLeod also looked brutal out there defending the pass earlier in the season as it was clear on multiple long TD passes that he had no clue what his assignment was.

It's excusable for a young player but it needs to be fixed ASAP.

V3

Hall of Fame
I've felt that the bashing of McLeod this offseason was a little overdone. I felt that he, along with the rest of a very, very young D improved quite a bit as the season went on (experience & Fisher's involvment playing a key role).
Could you improve on him? Yes. Was he... bad? No, not in the second half of the season.

I think a look at the overall performance by the defense and it's improvement proves the point. You wouldn't get that kind of improvement if you had a horrific gap on your defense, in my opinion.

http://www.fantasyfootballmetrics.c...as-wrong-about-in-2013-the-st-louis-rams-dst/

How do these stats relate to McLeod? He wasn't the reason the defense markedly improved. I'd argue it had more to do with a scheme adjustment(most likely made by Fisher) than McLeod.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think McLeod does a nice job seeing plays develop and anticipating where the ball is going. He and Davis were noticeably better (in training camp) at diagnosing and jumping plays when they were playing in 2 deep or even single high coverage. I think moving McLeod into the Nickel CB spot, out of necessity when Finnegan went down, did more harm than good in his overall development as a Safety.

IMO, he doesn't have the pure cover skills to match up with some of the quicker WRs, especially guys that are put in the slot. As a true Safety, his biggest area of improvement needed is his tackling. I see too many of our safeties who want to deliver the kill shot, and whiff completely, rather than simply wrapping up and getting the guy on the ground, and McLeod falls into that category far too often.

If they allow him to focus solely on playing Safety, he can be serviceable, but I don't see him ever being much more. This team would be better served with McLeod as a Special Teams stud, and a depth guy in the secondary.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
That's the problem with highlights. Both McLeod and McDonald were terrible in run support. Lots of missed tackes and bad angles. McLeod also looked brutal out there defending the pass earlier in the season as it was clear on multiple long TD passes that he had no clue what his assignment was.

Tackling is a critically important factor in William's defense and I expect him to hold his players accountable.

At least they have other players to look at, I loved this year's draft in terms of addressing needs.

lockdnram21

Legend

on some of those long tds fisher said it wasn't Mcleod fault. As the season went on he was in the right spot more times then not

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
on some of those long tds fisher said it wasn't Mcleod fault. As the season went on he was in the right spot more times then not

I don't buy that. To me it seemed like he was just giving a little vote of confidence to a young player. Coach speak, if you will.

He improved a little as the season went on, but he was pretty bad throughout. The situation will likely improve because Williams' forte is masking his unit's weaknesses, but I don't think it's going to be because Rodney McLeod has turned into a good player.

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't buy that. To me it seemed like he was just giving a little vote of confidence to a young player. Coach speak, if you will.

He improved a little as the season went on, but he was pretty bad throughout. The situation will likely improve because Williams' forte is masking his unit's weaknesses, but I don't think it's going to be because Rodney McLeod has turned into a good player.

i disagree because why would he try and protect him and put tru and Jenkins under the bus. Think it was scheme

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Why does protecting McLeod have to mean that we're sacrificing our CBs? Let them play close to the WR and Rodney's responsibilities are lessened.

Cut the field in half for Rodney with a lot of cover-2 and you help him out as well.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

I wonder if the run D got better because the Offense was practicing differently....more aggressivley?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I wonder if the run D got better because the Offense was practicing differently....more aggressivley?

I think having Dunbar back and Ogletree starting to play his gaps a little more responsibly had something to do with that. I also think having Darian Stewart in there helped. Very underrated as a run defender. Looked much better than T.J. McDonald.

Dick84

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How do these stats relate to McLeod? He wasn't the reason the defense markedly improved. I'd argue it had more to do with a scheme adjustment(most likely made by Fisher) than McLeod.

As I said... I don't think you get that second half improvement if you have a gaping hole at safety.
I'm not trying to present him as a Pro Bowler... Just not a liability.

One poster pointed out the bad angles on run plays. Agreed it was awful for both Mc's in first half of season... But I maintain both improved significantly as season went on.