A recent CBS Mock Draft that made my day

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...no-4-panthers-and-patriots-take-qbs-on-day-2/

Seven-round 2019 NFL Mock Draft

by

1st/#31-Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State
Simmons is a top-10 talent. Unfortunately, he tore his ACL in February, which means he won't be healthy until midway through the season, best case. But when he returns, the Rams will have a dominant young player in the middle of their defense.

3rd/#(94)-David Long Jr., ILB, West Virginia
Long is undersized, but he plays with a low center, strength and speed. He has a nose for the ball, and when he knows where to go, he's unstoppable.

3rd/#(99)-Christian Miller, EDGE, Alabama
Miller had eight sacks and 11 tackles for loss during the 2018 season and he would be a good fit to boost the edge rush in Wade Phillips' 3-4.

4th/#133- Dennis Daley, LT, South Carolina
5th/#169- Beau Benzschawel, RG/RT, Wisconsin
6th/203- Sheldrick Redwine, S, Miami
7th/251- Malik Reed, EDGE, Nevada (compensatory)

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Like it but BB and Redwine should be gone way before then.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm a fan, but like FaulkSF said, Redwine and Benzschawel should be gone way before then.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would prefer a CB over Long in the 3rd but I would live with this.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wouldn't be bad. I'd prefer at least one earlier OLine pick. Someone who projects as an instant starter in case of injury would be nice.

I really don't think Simmons drops that far. Belichick wouldn't let that kind of talent pass by. Neither would a few other teams

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn't be bad. I'd prefer at least one earlier OLine pick. Someone who projects as an instant starter in case of injury would be nice.

I really don't think Simmons drops that far. Belichick wouldn't let that kind of talent pass by. Neither would a few other teams

Belichick doesn't pick until #32.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Belichick doesn't pick until #32.

Yes, but they have 12 picks - 7 in the first 4 rounds - so moving up if there is a value dropping is not only not impossible, I'd have to say it is likely.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, but they have 12 picks - 7 in the first 4 rounds - so moving up if there is a value dropping is not only not impossible, I'd have to say it is likely.

Color me skeptical.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They've traded up in the past. They moved up for John Beason iirc. Pretty far up too.

Jerod Mayo? Beason played for Carolina. It can't be Mayo, though. They traded down for him, so I'm not sure.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jerod Mayo? Beason played for Carolina. It can't be Mayo, though. They traded down for him, so I'm not sure.
I don't know if they've traded up in the first round since 2012 - when I guess they did twice. However, BB just turned 67, so I am guessing that he doesn't expect to be the HC 4 years from now (HC is a high stress position - very few can do it in their 70s) - so getting the best player damn the salary cap likely makes sense for him. It's not like he looks like he is in good shape, after all. If a player falls that he thinks will help them win in the next year or two, I have little doubt that he will move up to get him.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's the one. My memory is not improving.

They had the Whiners first round pick when they drafted Mayo, and they traded down because of them not having a second first round pick because of Spygate.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's the one. My memory is not improving.

He's and no. They traded the 28th pick overall to the Niners in 2007. They got the Niners 2008 first round pick in return, which was a 7th. Then they moved back three spots and still got the guy they wanted.

Technically it was a trade up, since it would most likely be a top ten pick. But, your right I guess, unless they had their eye on Mayo the year before and wanted to be certain they were in a better position to get him.

they did trade up for Hightower, but not a huge jump. 31 to 25

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If they go Simmons at 31 then I'd prefer they also scoop a nose who can at least boost the rotation right out the gate to keep Brock fresh. Maybe even a situational guy at that for when Wade wants to settle down the run D.

Miller in round 3 particularly as late as we're picking in the 90s would be extremely good. He's just a notch below Winovich to my eye, so I expect him around that late 2nd round to early 3rd range.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they go Simmons at 31 then I'd prefer they also scoop a nose who can at least boost the rotation right out the gate to keep Brock fresh. Maybe even a situational guy at that for when Wade wants to settle down the run D.

Miller in round 3 particularly as late as we're picking in the 90s would be extremely good. He's just a notch below Winovich to my eye, so I expect him around that late 2nd round to early 3rd range.

I get the feeling by their inactivity in FA that they might like that Rutgers kid we drafted last year more than we know.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can argue it's a pressing need, but when you pay Aaron Donald, a byproduct of that is a rotation of AD, Brock, JFM and Joseph-Day.

I personally am not a big fan of Brockers, but if you are, IMO you really shouldn't be pushing for another DL (unless it's a player like Simmons where the value is off the charts).

Brockers and Donald making up 2/3 of the DL, we should be able to plug a JAG in there and have success (assuming Brockers is still a good player).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can argue it's a pressing need, but when you pay Aaron Donald, a byproduct of that is a rotation of AD, Brock, JFM and Joseph-Day.

I personally am not a big fan of Brockers, but if you are, IMO you really shouldn't be pushing for another DL (unless it's a player like Simmons where the value is off the charts).

Brockers and Donald making up 2/3 of the DL, we should be able to plug a JAG in there and have success (assuming Brockers is still a good player).

Regardless of what you think of Brockers, he's almost certainly gone after 2019. It would be smart of us to add depth for the short term and try to find a replacement for the future.