A question for you in the Eastern and Central time zones

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Would you watch early morning NFL games? Having lived in California for over 30 years I got used to starting my Sunday mornings watching the NFL at 10 am. Out here in Maryland the games don't start until 1 pm. Here's an article by Peter King on that topic.
--------------------------------------------------------
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/24/nfl-week-8-preview-london-morning-game/

Football for Breakfast
The Falcons-Lions game in London on Sunday will kick off at 9:30 a.m. Eastern and be nationally televised by FOX. The NFL is curious: How many people will watch? Plus, the Week 8 spotlight player and 10 things to watch for on Sunday
By Peter King

I have no idea what’s going to happen Sunday when the NFL puts the Detroit-Atlanta game from London on national TV at 9:30 in the morning on the East Coast. No one does. But I do know a lot of important people are wondering about it.

“I am as curious as you are,” said Brian Rolapp, NFL’s executive vice president for media. “I may have to duck out of church a little early on Sunday.”

“It’s hard to predict,” said Eric Shanks, the president of FOX Sports, which is broadcasting the Atlanta-Detroit game Sunday morning. “Hopefully we’ll be on in every Waffle House in America.”

I don’t know why, but the earliest game in NFL history has gotten zero attention this week. Maybe it’s because the game itself isn’t very good; the Falcons are 6-18 in their past 24 games, and doing their best to make sure Mike Smith is a former head coach by the end of this season. Maybe it’s because the country doesn’t quite believe in the 5-2 Lions yet. There are sexier games this weekend, certainly. But there is no doubt that this is an interesting TV chemistry experiment.

Not only is the NFL watching closely, but FOX and CBS are keeping their eyes on the game. Sunday morning is a potential fourth window that day, and you can be sure that if viewers flock to this game, at least one game a year from London will start at this insane hour. (Worth mentioning that our Left Coast friends don’t think it’s insane; those in the Pacific time zone see games at 10 a.m. all season.) But the NFL is eyeing the massive TV audience east of the Mississippi—about 76 percent of all televisions in the United States are in the Eastern and Central time zones—to see if it has an appetite for an early game.

So, for this year, FOX will have a different day nationwide. At 9 a.m. ET, a half-hour edition of the pre-game show will air, with Howie Long, Jimmy Johnson and Curt Menefee previewing the Detroit-Atlanta game and not much else. Then after Lions-Falcons, an abbreviated FOX pregame show airs before the early-window games. After that, the late-window doubleheader game belongs to CBS; most of the country will see Indianapolis-Pittsburgh. But the game between 5-1 Philadelphia and 5-1 Arizona will be shown to about 40 percent of the country on FOX, including the New York, Philadelphia and Phoenix markets. Then, at 8:07, FOX has Game 5 of the World Series, which won’t approach the head-to-head ratings of Packers-Saints on NBC, but should be a factor anyway.

“This is the most consecutive live-sports hours in FOX history,” Shanks said.

Or, I would assume, in any network’s history. We’re talking 15 hours of live sports, and that’s not factoring in extra innings if there are any in the baseball game.

But about the 9:30 a.m. football game … I am fascinated to see if a throng gets up to watch. Both Rolapp and Shanks said there’s no measurement to determine if the NFL repeats this, but understand this: If Detroit-Atlanta was played at 1 p.m. Eastern Time, it would be a regional telecast, a fragmented audience. At 9:30 the audience in Detroit and Atlanta will be smaller, certainly—but those who never would have had the chance to see the game nationally, from Portland to Portland to Port Arthur, surely will grow the audience for the game.

“It makes an event of one of the London games,” said Shanks. “Gaining attention for big events is harder and harder in this media landscape. People say the NFL can’t grow any bigger. Well, we’re trying.”

Said Rolapp: “This is an experiment. At a certain point you don’t know until you try. In 2006, when we implemented the eight late-season Thursday games, it was pretty controversial. A lot of football purists wanted to burn us for witchcraft. But we were trying something new. It’s the same thing here: How do we make the London games more successful? Is there a market for an early game? I don’t think we’ve ever had a quadrupleheader.”

Believe me: If you watch this game, the NFL will bring a fourth-window game to the market in 2015 and beyond.

Psycho_X

Legend
I just saw this and had no idea they were having this game so early until I was looking at my directv guide. And no I will not be getting up and watching football in the morning unless it would be the Rams. Sunday's are my one day I get to sleep in so that takes priority over the other 31 NFL teams at least.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Growing up in Hawaii, I learned to love the Rams watching them live on Sunday MORNINGS. Sunday morning Ram football was better than Saturday morning cartoons for me.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I didn't know.
I like it. Looks like I'll be having football with my morning coffee at 6 am this Sunday.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I like the early games. I grew up in RI so I would have to wait until 1 to watch a game. I wake up around 6-7 regardless of schedule, so there is a lot of time between mornings and gametime. I lived out in Sacramento for 1 year, and it was quite a treat to have a game on at 10. The only downside is if I have plans that day, a game at 1 allows for some other daytime activities.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Is there really a bad time to watch football?? My dad is a Lions fan, so Im looking forward to the early start.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Born and raised in California. I Hate waiting to see the Rams Play, I wish they always started in the morning! And at My age I don't stay up late, and I'm always up Before dawn anyway! ( got used to getting up early in the corps, never broke the habit!)

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I don't really mind watching an early game on TV, what I would hate is having to attend an early game. It's one thing to kick back in your boxers, sip coffee and flip on the tube, it's very much another thing to get up and go to the game especially if you have any distance to drive. To me, this is just another example of NFL corporate greed with the welfare of the game attending fan being pretty much disregarded. Certainly hope they are only looking at this for international games and are not considering going to a 9:30amET/8:30amCT kickoff for a game in the states.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Always wish the away games would start a couple hours earlier, and the home games a couple hours later.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Hmmm I would say most die hard football fans probably don't mind. If you think about it most of us start are sunday off pretty early anyway either tailgating or getting things set up for later on. Some watch the sports shows in the morning others do fantasy football last minute lineups.

And pretty much all of us spend the entire day and evening on sundays watching football lol.
:sneaky::sleep::whistle::party:

the zohan

Rookie
Name
Macker
When I was stationed in Seattle I loved the 10 am kickoffs. My Sundays are devoted to nothing but football during the season so early starts are great in my book. Get up make some breakfast, drink some coffee turn on NFL network and watch the pre game show, then 10 start enjoying games.

If they did bring it state side split up half the noon games to morning games for the Central and Eastern time zones teams. Start the afternoon games at 1-1:30 mountain Pacific teams and then your Sunday night game. Football bliss all Sunday long

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
As a teenager, I never saw the first half of any of the 10am games. My dad was a minister and we had to go to church. To this day, I haven't seen the Tom Mack "false start."