A lot of changes looming this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Understood. That seems pretty logical to me, too. Let me change what I said a bit. How about a high #2 pick and an established "very good" OL-man who is 28 years old or younger? A high #2 pick meaning pick number 33-43 in the draft. I know Tavon is awesome but we need a better OLine and a real deal WR.
Teams dont trade very good young o linemen. A "very good, established" 30 year old linemen named Joe Thomas was put on the market with the reported asking price being 2 first round picks...and hes 30. In your scenario Tavon is worth more then this as a high second rounder would be thrown in as well. No team is going to make the offer you suggested. Obviously you can make a hypothetical scenario where the trade value would be worth trading tavon for as you could with any player in the league.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Understood. That seems pretty logical to me, too. Let me change what I said a bit. How about a high #2 pick and an established "very good" OL-man who is 28 years old or younger? A high #2 pick meaning pick number 33-43 in the draft. I know Tavon is awesome but we need a better OLine and a real deal WR.
I can see where you are going with this but I suppose I am a little shell shocked by our recent history with O-linemen that played very well on other teams. A 28 yr old very good lineman will also demand what in salary? I want the same as you but I just don't like the idea of trading away a top offensive threat to get there. As you know though, I am not a GM, but I have slept at a Holliday Inn.

I would like to see us stick to building through the draft. See if we can build something that is a maintaining core like some other teams have done. But if they were to do as you suggest and it works, I reserve the right to be behind it 100% :cool:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Chicken. :D JK.

So why wouldn't you pick up TA's 5th year option? Isn't that cheap leverage no matter what we decide to do? We would have TA locked up for whatever team wanted to trade with us - no?

I am not saying I am buying into this whole trade scenario. I just don't get what not picking up his option does for us. Esplain?

MountainRam

Rookie
Chicken. :D JK.

So why wouldn't you pick up TA's 5th year option? Isn't that cheap leverage no matter what we decide to do? We would have TA locked up for whatever team wanted to trade with us - no?

I am not saying I am buying into this whole trade scenario. I just don't get what not picking up his option does for us. Esplain?

Is Austin worth $7+ million dollars a year if option is picked up?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
greg the leg is gone? did you watch the last game?

62 yarder? 4/5
And on a gusty day. Greg's problem is consistency. I would love to see him correct that because the combination of his distance and better accuracy would be a great weapon in close games.

iced

And on a gusty day. Greg's problem is consistency. I would love to see him correct that because the combination of his distance and better accuracy would be a great weapon in close games.

really hard to believe we're harping on greg for missing that 48 considering how windy that game was all day long

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
It's threads like this that pop up only after a tough loss. Dang shame, would have loved to be talking Playoffs instead. A few wins in a row would fix that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
really hard to believe we're harping on greg for missing that 48 considering how windy that game was all day long
Yeah - I don't have a problem with that 48. If he kicks like he did Sunday, he is a great asset.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Still a lot of football left so this is not a throw in the towel post or anything. But as I look at this team as it is currently built there are going to be a lot of changes. Some of them will be due to underperformance, others will be due to pay, but there's a great deal of them looming on the horizon for this roster. Here's a midseason estimate of how things stand. Note that I am making the assumption regarding the return of Fisher for his final season of his contract which I personally do not think is a given if they don't make the playoffs:

1. DE Long. He is an obvious pay cut, no two ways about it. I do think the Rams will be open to redoing his contract with a much lower cap number, not sure he will be though particularly if the team doesn't win this season.

2. TE Cook. Should probably be number one on this list, but he's still playing so there is room for him to pull his head out his <BLEEP> and start helping this team string together wins. But, yeah, he's gone. Cut almost for sure.

3. OG Saffold. I think there is a good chance the Rams cut bait with him. The Rams simply cannot continue to tie themselves to players who can't stay healthy. Plus it's not like the guy was playing lights out before he got hurt. He played his best ball right before his contract was out, if you guys recall. Imagine that. CYA Roger and no hard feelings.

4. WR Quick. Sometimes I want to puke when I think about the idiocy of taking a long term development project nowadays in the second round. Then I do puke when I think about how he was playing last year and how the Rams can't seem to throw him the ball and find out if he's any good before he becomes a FA. And lastly I am sure I'll puke next year when some team signs him and he plays the way he played last year for that team.

5. WR Austin. I've gone on about this before and will again here real quickly... I love the guy but he is not a fit for a power run-first scheme where you want to go over the top off of play action, and please don't cite how well he occasionally lays blocks for Gurley. Rams will probably trade him this offseason to a team that does throw the ball all over hell and creation, where he'll fit much better. Recoup a pick for a non-fit player, and draft some big WRs that fit WTF the Rams want to be.

6. C Barnes. He's had his moments both good and bad. But I just don't see the Rams getting all crazy with him in FA. I suspect they'll have a number they'll try to sign him at, but it will likely be very low given that their next center is on the roster already and will probably start regardless.

7. CB Jenkins. He is going to want to test the waters for the most money he can get. The Rams will likely franchise him. Not sure how he'll react to that, but it might include a holdout. If that happens a trade is possible, however my guess is he will play under the tag next season. He is on the list because there's a chance he will force a trade with a holdout.

8. CB Johnson. He is gone. If the Rams let Jenks walk or if Gaines is having a rough time recuperating from that injury they might put forth a big effort to keep Johnson but I think it's unlikely.

9. K Zuerline. I think Greg the Leg is gone. Fish stands up for him, but for all his leg the guy is too jittery for a team that is defensive-minded. They need a kicker who is more predictable in terms of results even if they give up some range in the deal.

Verrrry interesting post, Merlin. A thought provoking one, indeed,

I agree with you on some, but disagree on others.

I'll just comment on the ones with which we disagree. And with the proviso that these opinions are as of midseason. For example, a player like Quick could be resigned if he really blows it up in the next 8 games.
I agree with your assessment of players 1-4

5. WR Austin. He stays. It's a no brainer. He's under contract through '16 at a minimum. He's one of only 2 playmakers on O.

6. C Barnes. Not a huge disagreement here, but I do think they like him and will keep him unless he gets unreasonable with his salary demands. They would like to keep the starting OL unit intact, if possible, for obvious reasons. BTW, who is this future starting C already on the roster you refer to?

7. CB Jenkins. He will not be franchised. Too expensive, and he's not worth it, anyway. They will try to sign him unless he gets unreasonable, however. They really like him, but only up to a certain price.

8. CB Johnson. Either Tru or JJ stays. They will NOT let both get away. My opinion? Tru had the better game vs the Vikes. JJ is a tad overrated with a top 10 CB burn rate that just came out today. So if Tru is the keeper, I would understand.

9. K Zuerlein. Could go either way. I know Fisher likes him, but I'm on the fence. Good kickers come out every year.

As an aside, I like the way you described Long as an obvious pay cut, as opposed to a kick the can down the road restructure. And it's gotta be a substantial one, at that. His gravy train ride is over.

fearsomefour

Legend
5. WR Austin. I've gone on about this before and will again here real quickly... I love the guy but he is not a fit for a power run-first scheme
Austin is tied with a bunch of guys for 3rd or 4th in league in points scored....outside of kickers. Scheme fit or not the guy has 7 TDs in 8 games. Im all in with Austin.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
This is the off season that will determine the next 5 years. Screw the pooch or let the D fall back to an average level then this gets to be a real bad team again.
Gotta resign 2 of the 3 FA DB's, biggest bang for the buck is what they need and hope Gaines can come back as at least depth next year.
C. Long is a situational player at this point, he needs to be payed as such. He understands how the game works, he's all class.
Cook, see ya.
Quick? You gotta be kidding me. Jeffery taken later in the draft has like 4 games added together better than Quick's whole career. "Josh Gordon Bailey" can go too. How can the team count on him.
Barron's is a starting LB going forward, pay the man.
Kicker, center etc pay at performance level.

They can go 2 ways with the offense.
2 WR's and a TE with first 3 picks.They had no issues drafting Oline like that last year, why not play makers this year. Least they can do is throw TA and TG a drafting reach around to help them out. Unless there's a real QB then you grab him. Foles would improve dramaticly if he had a couple wide radius targets that could run nice routes and get some separation. Manion? His upside is Foles in a couple years.

2nd option is send Cig's packing his playbook and taking it to High School where it belongs and bring in a established Vet OC who can design for and maximize the talent he does have to get the most efficient use.
Even with dominate D the Rams have to get consistently in the mid. 20's point wise to be a serious playoff team.

Athos

Legend
Sorry man. You lost me at Austin and everyone here knows I hated the pick originally.

He's the perfect compliment to Gurley. And Todd likewise. You have an elite change of pace player who has become a TD machine.

And honestly, if Foles wasn't so bad, I think he'd have two or three more TDs on the season. You take away so much from the team getting rid of him.

You have to pass in the NFL.
That has to be the major change.

We need legit QB talent. Preferably a guy with a bit of mobility. Mainly a guy who can hit crossing patterns and timing routesz

Foles doesn't throw guys open. He just drops it on their helmet.

Th other change is a legit WR talent or a stud blocking TE.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Long - Contract has to be redone or he's probably gone.
Cook - Gone
Saffold - Gone
Quick - Might return on a vet min deal
Austin - A keeper
Barnes - Unknown what the market will bear. Might get overpaid or the Barksdale treatment.
Jenkins - Franchised
Johnson - Probably gets more $$ elsewhere
Zuerlien - Not going anywhere unless he tanks rest of season.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I think Quick returns. I believe the Rams and Quick want to finish what they started. From the Rams side, if nothing else out of sheer stubbornness.

I hope the Rams find a way to keep both JJ and Tru. Truth be told, I'm really worried about giving big money to JJ on a long term deal so the tag feels more comfortable to me.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
When compared to other players? I'd say yes.

The fifth-year salary varies depending on how high the player was drafted. The top 10 selections receive a salary equal to the average of the 10 highest salaries. For the remainder of the first round, the wage is the average of the third through twenty-fifth highest salaries at the position.
per
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...year-option-tracker-for-2012-firstround-picks

So Austin would get the average of the highest 10 salaries at WR (he was #8 pick). I am not sure if that is cap value or just base salary - but I would assume this means paying him probably $9mil+ for that 5th year (and much more if it is based on cap hit).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams arent a power running team. Thats the biggest problem right there.
As for Z, I often wonder that if he wasnt capable of hitting 60+ yarders with ease, would Fisher pucker up as soon they hit the 40 yard line? Dont get me wrong, I dont want him gone, but in no way consider him irreplacable