A little "second guessing" for a Tuesday morning...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Nothing serious, mind you. I stil have tremendous confidence in this coaching staff.

But there ARE a few things that I'm wondering about a little bit.

Watkins is 7 catches for 7 targets, reportedly. Ummmmm... Why not give such a WR a few more targets? I would imagine that more targets would make him even more energized and effective. Otherwise, why did we trade for him?

Everett should be getting more snaps. Look at his numbers, for cryin' out loud! Such a player needs to be on the field. Don't care if it costs Higbee (or anyone else) snaps. This seems like a no brainer, y'all.

Reynolds should be given more snaps. Best way to accelerate his growth. If it costs Woods a few snaps, so what?

Gurley is improving at his running game, thanks to his improving OL in no small part. So feed him more running plays. Helps with TOP no end. The TOP deficit vs Washington was not ALL on the D. O didn't exactly help the cause either. Maintain, or maybe even increase Gurley's role in the passing game. He's become a beast there.

Kupp has gotta find a way to avoid getting knocked off his timing routes. Took him out of the all too often.

Anybody else feel that Tavon's snaps could be reduced and given to others without hurting our O? I feel like a broken record on this topic.

Hope Wade has a miracle cure for our LB position group. None of them stood out last Sunday in a positive way. Is there a quick fix scheme solution? Sure hope so, because 229 yards on the ground cannot happen again. Or else...

And where was our vaunted pass rush last week? Cousins hardly ever seemed to be disrupted. No sacks, no ints, etc. THAT's gotta change.

There were lots of positives from this game. Not gonna go into them here. Maybe in another post.

To summarize. I still have a ton of faith in this entire coaching staff. They've earned that much. But I did have these few "second guesses" and comments and questions that I wanted to get off my chest. We just lost a very winnable game, so why not ask a few questions?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
The rush defense was atrocious. I didn't confirm, because I didn't want to actually see the numbers, but I thought I heard just before my spit-take that we gave up 170 yards, in the first half, and mostly to a backup!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
There were some good half time adjustments made against the run game. I think they'll pour over film and look at running more zone so it leaves some tacklers in most areas without vacating much field.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Agreed with Everett and Reynolds. These two must be in the game plan. Forget Higbee.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watkins is 7 catches for 7 targets, reportedly. Ummmmm... Why not give such a WR a few more targets? I would imagine that more targets would make him even more energized and effective. Otherwise, why did we trade for him?

i think most of the time opposing teams are taking him away double coverage and stuff as Goff learnes to trust himself and Watkins itll come ..id rather Goff take whats there than force it because watkins

Everett should be getting more snaps. Look at his numbers, for cryin' out loud! Such a player needs to be on the field. Don't care if it costs Higbee (or anyone else) snaps. This seems like a no brainer, y'all.

i agree to an extent ..but i like the way they are feeding him into the offense

Reynolds should be given more snaps. Best way to accelerate his growth. If it costs Woods a few snaps, so what?

Woods annoyed me last game for sure but Reynolds isnt Woods yet

Kupp has gotta find a way to avoid getting knocked off his timing routes. Took him out of the all too often.

its rookie things, he will learn .. our best receiver over the two games ,,, making circus catches

Anybody else feel that Tavon's snaps could be reduced and given to others without hurting our O? I feel like a broken record on this topic.

we reduce them anymore he wont get on the field .. played like 9 offensive snaps ..but i agree im not a huge tavon fan ..like his heart but has never really shown it IMO ... im still not sure tavon is a ram come trade deadline or sooner

Hope Wade has a miracle cure for our LB position group. None of them stood out last Sunday in a positive way. Is there a quick fix scheme solution? Sure hope so, because 229 yards on the ground cannot happen again. Or else...

that was painful.. DL was too aggressive set up hom in the backfield but the draw killed us because we lost contain on the outside when they bounced it

And where was our vaunted pass rush last week? Cousins hardly ever seemed to be disrupted. No sacks, no ints, etc. THAT's gotta change.

we had no real pass rush because they ran it so damn well ...best way to slow a pass rush is to run it and we never really got them into any third and long situations

but good salient points my man ..

JRobinson

MiLB
Nothing serious, mind you. I stil have tremendous confidence in this coaching staff.

Gurley is improving at his running game, thanks to his improving OL in no small part. So feed him more running plays. Helps with TOP no end. The TOP deficit vs Washington was not ALL on the D. O didn't exactly help the cause either. Maintain, or maybe even increase Gurley's role in the passing game. He's become a beast there.

There were lots of positives from this game. Not gonna go into them here. Maybe in another post.

To summarize. I still have a ton of faith in this entire coaching staff. They've earned that much. But I did have these few "second guesses" and comments and questions that I wanted to get off my chest. We just lost a very winnable game, so why not ask a few questions?

Ok let's see here:

1. We all know (including the coaching staff I bet) that Watkins needs more looks. IMO, he's still getting integrated into the offense. Let's check back week 5 and see where he is.

2. Agree with ya on Everett.

3. I like Reynolds, but not at the expense of Woods just yet. Woods is a sure handed receiver with way more experience at this stage of the game.

4. I've spoken so much about Gurley on two other threads.

5. Well the Redskins pretty much blanketed Kupp. He's gonna get knocked off the LOS at times, that's just football.

6. I'm over Tavon, as far as I'm concerned, he can just return punts and kicks. He just doesn't fit this offense and it's evident so far.

7. Littleton should have played more instead of Barron IMO. We will fix the run, I trust in Wade.

8. They ran the ball, didn't throw it hardly at all lol. And when they did throw it, it's was all short stuff. Your pass rush is negated when that happens.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

It's only week #3, But this weeks game is a very important Test for our Team and Coaching staff! After one BIG Win and one Disappointing Loss, How well do we bounce back!?!
If we have another game Like Week #1 FANTASTIC, IF we play like we did in week #2 (on Defense) we are in Trouble!
Don't worry, My Homer-ism is not shaken!!! I think we KICK-THE-F--K out the Whiner's!!
Remember!!
Bacon,.jpg

dewayne_francisco_1962.jpg

CARTER4.jpg

darenbates_635x250_1414990036.jpg

Joyner2.jpg

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm with you 100% on the Watkins and Everrett points, the only thing that I've been thinking with Watkins is the fact that does he have the playbook nailed? I questioned this early on when he said it would take him about a week, with the lack of targets I've just been wondering, is he not there yet? It's been reported that Kupp is helping him line up... I hope its just a matter of time.

Everrett IS going to be a beast, he is by far our best TE - give him the damn ball!!

I'd happily see Reynolds opposite Watkins with Kupp in the slot.

I think they are being so careful with Gurley, I think his confidence was hit last year and that seriously impacted his game day mentality, but he''s turned into a beast catching the ball, I'd happily see an increase in feeding him more of the ball.

Kupp is a rookie after all, and we've only had 2 games, patience my friend.

Tavon should be used sporadically and more so when the game has loosened up - its where he'll be most dangerous. You only play Tavon IF the game suits him. Our O doesn't depend on him catching the ball anymore, I would like to see him used more in the running game though as a change of pace back.

I think our D believed their own hype this week, I seriously think they would have been better if you'd NOT played AD. I think they though after the Colts game, multi sacks, multi pick dies etc, they thought with AD back in the fold they were going to destroy Washington and Kurt Cousins.

Our lack of a pass rush was glaringly obvious. Again, we gave Cousins time.

I though that dip after a win was a thing of the past, these guys need to come out firing EVERY week.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think we got ran all over because we planned against the pass all week. It would have been nice to see some kind of adjustment, but when a running game gets hot...

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I'm not sure we see Tavon being traded this year - cut this offseason? Ya I could see that.

I could see Barron being traded at some point this season. Littleton actually came in for him for a few snaps and looked pretty good attacking the ball carrier.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure we see Tavon being traded this year - cut this offseason? Ya I could see that.

I could see Barron being traded at some point this season. Littleton actually came in for him for a few snaps and looked pretty good attacking the ball carrier.
I'd give ol Greg a call in Cleveland re Barron

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
As far as Watkins goes, just watching the game I think it's all about that Chemistry development with Goff.

There are multiple times that I have watched Kupp catch the ball at just the moment Watkins route is breaking. Goff just has to get that chemistry down to where he knows he can just put the ball where Sammy will be. (The Kupp slip, jump up, dive catch was one of these plays-Watkins route is developing right behind him)

There was another play earlier in the game. It's a third down and I want to say 5. Kupp runs a great route and Goff hits him on the money for a first down. The play begins with Sammy and Kupp stacked to the left. As you watch the play develop you see Sammy breaking wide open, but this is after Goff has already thrown the ball.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned is many times during his rookie year. Todd got stronger as the game wore on. I felt that the team gave up on him way too quick in several games last year. Last week, we never needed to get there (Indy) but in tight games allow Gurley to run wild both through the pass and run. I also saw the it was Todd signally for Everett to go downfield on Everett's long catch when he saw the defensive back come up to cover him. It really made me take a harder look at what Gurley could do. we all know what has happened in the past when we had a very smart RB who understood the game. Now he's not there yet, but that impressed me.
Now let's go thump the Whiners.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
^I know I saw Goff motion to Everett I'll have to go back and see if I see Gurley do the same.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Ok I am with you AJ Hicks lets do this ! But in considering this my one working brain cell huts down due to overload :headexplosion:....Fact is something is wrong with Barron first off he is not what we saw on the field in 2015 or 2016 by a far margin. Very Disappointing after two games...:sadwalk:.

The problem that shuts me down on the "trade of Barron" is he signed a 5 year, $45 million contract with the Rams on March 9, 2016. Barron received $15 million in full guarantees which includes a $5 million signing bonus and his 2016 base salary and 2017 roster bonus already.This contract took place when Fisher & Williams had him starting @ weakside outside Lb'er post.

How could you & I see a trade of Barron when we are paying him 11 million in 2017 for what we have seen thus far in 2 games...that's trading away over 39 million of cap hits for 4 seasons. who is going to take him off our hands along with that 39 mil? Is he a strong safety for that team or a small OSLB'er or a dinky skinny ILB'er? I with you but who will do this for us?

LACHAMP46 has suggested yanking him from his ILB'ing post & insert him back into MO Alexander Strong Safety post since Mo has for got how to play NFL football....but do we want to pay a SS 11 million this season & 28 million after that? LA we have a problem here!

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

We have a young QB who is being taught to find the OPEN receiver. He's been doing that, and spreading the ball around nicely. Telling him to force the ball to Watkins would be the kind of OC approach that would get you a job on Jeff Fisher's staff.

If you expect to see this offense dumping the ball to two guys in the passing game you're going to be very disappointed. McVay spreads it around and I am thankful of that because that is harder to stop week to week than just removing one or two options.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
We have a young QB who is being taught to find the OPEN receiver. He's been doing that, and spreading the ball around nicely. Telling him to force the ball to Watkins would be the kind of OC approach that would get you a job on Jeff Fisher's staff.

If you expect to see this offense dumping the ball to two guys in the passing game you're going to be very disappointed. McVay spreads it around and I am thankful of that because that is harder to stop week to week than just removing one or two options.

This! I have been saying this since we signed McVay.

Rambo

UDFA
You make me question if the interception was all Goff's fault or was it partially on Kupp. Ill have to watch the tape.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
You make me question if the interception was all Goff's fault or was it partially on Kupp. Ill have to watch the tape.

I think the linebacker of Redskins anticipated the play and just read Goff's eyes the whole way.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the linebacker of Redskins anticipated the play and just read Goff's eyes the whole way.

My hope is that as Goff matures in this offense and builds his timing with Watkins we start seeing the big plays to him. But it's a bad deal to try to make the kid force the ball. Let him get through his reads in real time and learn on the job.

Jared has a ways to go clearly. He is actually getting through his reads much faster than he was in preseason, but he still has some bad habits that McVay has to get rid of. Speeding up the reads, seeing more of the field, and using his eyes to control the coverage. That's what he has to work on IMO.