A hypothetical question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which QB do you take in Round One?

• Williams

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Maye

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Daniels

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • McCarthy

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Nix

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Penix

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They said the same about Cam Newton and Mike Vick. I feel it takes more than pure athleticism. As pointed out Caleb and his father seem to be destroying his career before it even starts. I think Daniels and Maye both go before Williams and I think ultimately both might have as good or better careers than Williams as both are outstanding prospects.
Williams throws much better then Newton or Vick, that is why he actually is a generational talent and will go down in history, barring injury as the best QB the Chicago Bears have ever had and make Dave Tepper the most ignorant owner in the NFL since George Preston Marshall.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Caleb is overrated.

There I said it.

With that said, I’m taking Daniels.
Just remember this in 3 years and come back and post accordingly. Also can I inquire as to how many games you actually watched Williams play?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I chose Maye. All of this talk about him dropping is silliness. We see it every draft season. He throws over the middle of the field. He’s smart. He doesn’t have to rely on his legs, but he can if needed. He’s a good athlete with a good frame

Daniels is thin and his frame looks maxed out. Caleb is good but I don’t like his ego nor how he shows his immaturity.
Penix has injury/durability concerns. McCarthy lacks touch on his passes, he also didn’t have to be ‘The Guy’ very often in a run heavy scheme. I question nix ability to process quickly enough for the NFL. Rattler has character flaws.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I haven't watched a ton of McCarthy but from what I saw, I actually kinda liked his touch on passes!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I haven't watched a ton of McCarthy but from what I saw, I actually kinda liked his touch on passes!
I was talking to a Michigan fan. That was his only complaint about McCarthy. He throws everything the same speed, hard. He doesn’t think he will turn into a franchise QB.

McCarthy obviously is an enigma due to lack of tape. Maybe he’s going to be very coachable and fix any flaws.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I was talking to a Michigan fan. That was his only complaint about McCarthy. He throws everything the same speed, hard. He doesn’t think he will turn into a franchise QB.

McCarthy obviously is an enigma due to lack of tape. Maybe he’s going to be very coachable and fix any flaws.
I mean, he already doesn't have a lot of tape and I don't really watch that many Mich games and so all I really have to go on is highlights and teach tape from analysts. Probably only seen the GOOD hard throws and not the rest.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d take Penix and let our strength and conditioning coaches work with him while he studies under Stafford for a year or two. Might trade down till later in the first round if he’s still available to have the 5th year option. At 6’3” and 215 lbs. he has the size teams look for.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Just remember this in 3 years and come back and post accordingly. Also can I inquire as to how many games you actually watched Williams play?
Ive missed maybe six games. Im a USC fan.

Is he talented, yes. Absolutely.

Does he demonstrate the ability to play within a system and make quick throws? At times. He relies way too much on the play breaking down to be a top quarterback. He’s going to be another Kyler Murray. Mayyybe Deshaun Watson.

Do I think he’s a generational talent? Nope. I think he’s being hyped up because of the “wow” plays he does make.

Just looking back over the last 5 drafts, I’m not taking him over Kyler, Burrow, or Lawrence based solely off their college tape.

What exactly makes him “generational”?

Memphis Ram

Legend

Even in highlights you see lots of line drives, but few ,if any, layered throws over a defender. But boy can he run.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
What exactly makes him “generational”?
Great points IMO what makes generational is his ability to extend plays plus being to throw the ball from all different angles. He is much bigger then Kyler & he reminds me of Mahomes.

Respect that you have seen his USC games, but he did it at Oklahoma too.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Maye would require a king's ransom for us. I like his arm. Kid can spin it. But he's gonna require a high pick and teams are gonna get after him early on. Would be great to park him behind Stafford but at that price not gonna happen.

Williams is a guy teams will rush carefully but he's also got plus arm and the vision to hurt you down the field, so there's no way you get into that pick.

Daniels has the balls to look downfield but has his own problems he's going to need to overcome, that running QB deal where he'll be favored by a careful rush but he has to learn to win from the pocket on key downs vs better defenses. He had a hell of a collection of talent around him compared to Maye for example. Only QB in this draft with two of his weapons possibly going top 15. Insane.

McCarthy being high is too much projection for my taste. You're throwing picks away. He'd be best served with a redshirt and let him fully master that offense before you throw him into the fire. He was handled carefully by Harbaugh so if a team throws him in the fire good luck with that shit. Ironically the Rams would be an ideal landing spot for him by the way, as he'd sit behind Stafford and learn.

Penix on the flip side of McCarthy the entire offense was dependent on him making plays from the pocket. He's gonna translate quickly I expect.

Nix is a damn enigma. I see throws from him that make me think wow. But when you watch his games and the flow of them he's way too dependent on short passing game completions. McVay doesn't want to do that.

So. In my book chalk it all up and there's only two QBs in play for the Rams up top. And even then it's from the "holy shit" surprise perspective where they go QB because they're secretly worried about Stafford's health. Those two QBs are McCarthy and Penix. And honestly McCarthy is probably more an underneath WCO type guy. So I'd say Penix is the most likely surprise Rams selection of those early names.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
One thing that's hard to gauge is accuracy in college. It's often because the really good teams have such good receivers that they often get so much separation that pin point accuracy isn't really needed.