A field goal ties it!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It's so easy to make the right read watching still shots. I wonder if it is that easy in the thick of an NFL game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Cunningham doesn't look open.........anyone have a video of it that shows the entire field.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
7649334.jpg

Sup.
Not sure he'll be able to do that anymore, but when he plays I like that QB very much!

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
There is something wrong with the play-call. Multiple things. Here's the problem with the play-call:
1. Schotty motioned Cunningham out of the back-field...Chargers are expecting run, use a play-action or at least make them respect your ability to run by having Cunningham back there
2. Schotty ran two of our three WRs over the middle on the play...most dangerous area in the red-zone...should have isolated Bailey or Britt on Shareece Wright who had been beaten all day and thrown a fade...that's a low risk play
3. The Rams didn't run the ball when the Chargers were going to have to use timeouts inside the 5

Hill clearly made an unbelievably dumb decision to not throw it away but Schotty's play-call was not a good one. He tried to get fancy and out-smarted himself.

Frankly, I don't know what the hell Hill was thinking. We've run that play many times and the point of that play isn't to throw to Britt. Britt is a decoy. Bradford has run it and the point of the play is for Cunningham to draw coverage with motion and slip Givens(used to be Pettis) into the back of the end-zone with no coverage. If they do cover Givens, it usually leaves Cunningham isolated on a LB and you let him work back inside on the pivot route.

The crossing route is not the route you should be looking at. It's simply there to hold the attention of multiple defenders so the WR in the back of the end-zone is freed up.

Schotty lost me when he took Cunningham out of the backfield leaving only Harkey back there. But there were only three Rams out in the pattern, and the protection was fine. Instead of throwing to Cunningham who had broken wide open for an easy pitch and catch TD, he threw to one of the two guys who were double covered (Britt and Givens). Terrible for read for sooo many reasons. That INT was very similar to the previous INT, that Hill just didn't see the help coming from over the top.

I'm also wondering what Givens was doing in the game for that play, rather than Austin or Bailey. Why wasn't Cook in the game?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's so easy to make the right read watching still shots. I wonder if it is that easy in the thick of an NFL game.

Of course not. But he's a professional. And this isn't one of those situations where that justification applies. The Rams have run this same play many times with Bradford. It allows you to understand the reads on the play. Hill flat out misread the play and threw to the wrong guy. I don't care if it's still shots or not, he shouldn't have made that throw. He forced the ball to Britt when the primary read is Givens and the secondary read is Cunningham.(depending on the coverage, it might flip)

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, it's still not easy looking at still shots, but Hill gets paid, what? over $1 million because he's go experience, and know-how . . . he screwed the pooch.

RamzFanz

Damnit
To me, it isn't as much about Hill's choice to throw it to Britt it's that he stared him down. Looked like a total rookie. From the snap of the ball until he threw it, Hill was focused on Britt so it doesn't really matter what Cunningham or Cook or anyone else was doing on the play because Hill had tunnel vision and it made for an easy pick by the defender.

Nope. He didn't stare him down. I rewatched it several times. He clearly snaps his head through the progressions. He's expecting to throw left or over the center. He then saw Britt and threw immediately without sensing the incoming defender.

It was a horrible play call. Throw a screen. Run the ball. Lots of great options and this wasn't one of them.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Schotty lost me when he took Cunningham out of the backfield leaving only Harkey back there. But there were only three Rams out in the pattern, and the protection was fine. Instead of throwing to Cunningham who had broken wide open for an easy pitch and catch TD, he threw to one of the two guys who were double covered (Britt and Givens). Terrible for read for sooo many reasons. That INT was very similar to the previous INT, that Hill just didn't see the help coming from over the top.

I'm also wondering what Givens was doing in the game for that play, rather than Austin or Bailey. Why wasn't Cook in the game?

Double covered wouldn't be correct. The defender who intercepted was free floating.

iced

one on one with a line backer - and considering Cunningham was the only player not doubled, that would have been the right read.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I understand how easy it is to MMQB any given play. And I also understand that this is a football message board and so discussion like this is what it's for - so don't take this as a personal shot towards anyone - I rather like threads like this. I just think a touch of reality is warranted every now and then. Honestly, if you were given 100 tries with the exact same play and the exact same defense - how many do you think you could execute? I'll start with a big ol goose egg for myself.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
There is something wrong with the play-call. Multiple things. Here's the problem with the play-call:
1. Schotty motioned Cunningham out of the back-field...Chargers are expecting run, use a play-action or at least make them respect your ability to run by having Cunningham back there
2. Schotty ran two of our three WRs over the middle on the play...most dangerous area in the red-zone...should have isolated Bailey or Britt on Shareece Wright who had been beaten all day and thrown a fade...that's a low risk play
3. The Rams didn't run the ball when the Chargers were going to have to use timeouts inside the 5

Hill clearly made an unbelievably dumb decision to not throw it away but Schotty's play-call was not a good one. He tried to get fancy and out-smarted himself.

Frankly, I don't know what the hell Hill was thinking. We've run that play many times and the point of that play isn't to throw to Britt. Britt is a decoy. Bradford has run it and the point of the play is for Cunningham to draw coverage with motion and slip Givens(used to be Pettis) into the back of the end-zone with no coverage. If they do cover Givens, it usually leaves Cunningham isolated on a LB and you let him work back inside on the pivot route.

The crossing route is not the route you should be looking at. It's simply there to hold the attention of multiple defenders so the WR in the back of the end-zone is freed up.
I guess I should've been more descriptive. I meant the decision to go for the win.

Haha to be honest, my link buffered at the beginning of the play, so I only saw the result, and I've been avoiding replay

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I understand how easy it is to MMQB any given play. And I also understand that this is a football message board and so discussion like this is what it's for - so don't take this as a personal shot towards anyone - I rather like threads like this. I just think a touch of reality is warranted every now and then. Honestly, if you were given 100 tries with the exact same play and the exact same defense - how many do you think you could execute? I'll start with a big ol goose egg for myself.
Yea but we are not NFL caliber QBs. I'm still heartbroken over this loss so I haven't posted much but this loss was Hill's fault. Not the refs, not the defesne. He messed up. He knows it, Fisher knows it, everyone knows it. But then again, that would be the reason this guy is a 2nd string QB huh? It happens, move on, get better.

Note: I give Schotty some blame for this too. You run the ball here, try and score. If you settle for a field goal you trust your badass defense and sharpshooting kicker to win the game in OT. But again, move on.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I will be in the minority here but I don't think this is Hill's fault. Not 100% anyway.

I think Benny runs a shitty route. I think if he just has his head turned to Hill, Hill makes that throw and we win the game. All Benny has to do in that situation is fake like he's running a flair and then cut it inside. The WR to that side cleared out 2 defenders on the seam route... I could be wrong but my opinion is that Benny doesn't have the best feel for moving in space on pass routes.

I also think it's a shitty play design. The flat route was going to have that DB sitting there. I mean what the fuck else would that guy be doing but waiting for a cross? I mean did anyone think that the pass blocking TE, Kendricks, was going to keep the DB when he was already occupied by the rushing OLB?

Hill does panic though. He panics b/c Benny turns his head the wrong way. Then Hill forgets about the DB.

Hill tried to be a hero. It's understandable given that he was benched for a more exciting QB...

Look, this is no one's "fault". It just, is what it is. It happens when everyone is just doing there best... the team is struggling... and people start to press.