A few thoughts (and questions) as the draft draws near...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Where to start? Here’s my stream of consciousness effort...

Will Snead pick at 31 or will he trade down? I’m thinking he definitely trades down if he can find a partner picking high in the 2nd. Probably 60% likely to find a willing partner? Trading up seems extremely unlikely this year, but with Snead you never know for sure.

Philosophical question: Will Snead’s draft be focused on ‘19 or more focused on ‘20 and beyond? I’m guessing early picks will be for ‘19 but by the #99 pick in the 3rd and beyond they will be for the future.

Will our #31 be an OL? I don’t think so. There will be an OL (or 2) drafted, but not with that first pick.

A RB will surely be drafted, perhaps surprisingly high, but not as high as our first pick as has been suggested by some.

Our first pick could conceivably be one of perhaps 11 different positions. Conceivably is the operative word. My best guess is one of NT, DE, or Edge, depending on who falls. Seems like the best and likeliest intersection of talent and Ram need in players expected to be there.

Will a S be taken before a CB? Clearly, the Rams are interested in adding a S based upon visits.

I know that many have fallen in love with one of Lawrence or Simmons but I confess that either player at #31 would leave me mildly disappointed. One can’t help us in ‘19 and the other is a 2 down player with limited pass rush ability, hardly best next to AD, don’t you think?

Every year some blue chipper unexpectedly falls. Who will it be this year and will he fall all the way to the Rams?

How many trades will Snead make this year? Would 3 be a good over/under number? Lol. Snead winding up with 10 picks wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

How many picks will be on D players? Assuming no trades, I’m thinking it could be maybe 5 of 7. OL and a RB could be it for the O. Depends on whether Snead/McVay want to use a pick on a backup QB this year.

Can Snead find a CB gem in round 4 or later? Hopefully, he has a sleeper in that range with future starter potential.

My crystal ball is hinting that Snead adds DL, Edge, and interior OL with his first 3 picks, but in no particular order. All depends on who falls, of course, but as I said already, I’m leaning toward D players first.

I’m still trying to interpret what McVay meant when he said he was looking to add “explosive players”. Depends on one’s interpretation of the word “explosive”, I guess.

Well, all will be revealed starting this Thursday. Fun to speculate and discuss until then, though. Can’t hardly wait to get this draft thing started. Lol.

Ram65

Legend
Will Snead pick at 31 or will he trade down? I’m thinking he definitely trades down if he can find a partner picking high in the 2nd. Probably 60% likely to find a willing partner? Trading up seems extremely unlikely this year, but with Snead you never know for sure.

The Hags getting pick #29 from the Chiefs will be stiff comp for the Rams trade down. You know the Hags will want more picks only having five this year. Must see TV.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you think about it, there's really only three spots that may not be set in stone: ILB, DT, C

Seems like they like Allen and Kiser, so I would not expect a rookie to take their spot.

So if we don't draft a DT relatively high, it's very likely that every single draft pick will be redshirting, just like last season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the first 3 picks last season were redshirting - they had important roles to play - Noteboom and Allen got some playing time, but were the vital game day backups for the OL - players that the Rams trusted - and also were the starters in Wednesday practices. JFM actually played a good amount. The rest of the picks were ST at best, so could be said to be redshirting.

Hopefully any OL they pick will play very little, but if he or they are active on game day, that's important. Any DL except Simmons should be rotational at the very least, if not a starter. A CB or Safety early will likely play nickel at least. But yeah, after the third they are likely to be redshirts unless there are a bunch of injuries.

dang

Legend
If you think about it, there's really only three spots that may not be set in stone: ILB, DT, C

Seems like they like Allen and Kiser, so I would not expect a rookie to take their spot.

So if we don't draft a DT relatively high, it's very likely that every single draft pick will be redshirting, just like last season.
You think the Rams wouldn’t take an Edge or OG player high on their draft board that falls to them ??

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
I do think trading up is a possibility. Rams brought into visit a bunch of DL and edge guys slated to go top 20. I think if one slips into the 20's the Rams will try to trade up.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You think the Rams wouldn’t take an Edge or OG player high on their draft board that falls to them ??

Possibly but I think DT is the only chance for a rookie to start

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Possibly but I think DT is the only chance for a rookie to start

A first round Edge, vs Ebukam? Paint me skeptical. Ebu is not horrible, but he doesn't have the high end of some of the players who might fall to them. And Blythe is highly replaceable at OG.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rough thoughts right now...

1. OL is guaranteed to be addressed. And it is likely they will take 2+ players at the position as well. Value & need meet up throughout so I figure one in the first few rounds and another thereafter. Too many options to list.

2. NT is very high likelihood, almost a definite selection, it is a big need that also meets value at many spots for us. Lots of options, but I personally suspect either Lawrence early or Wren/Saunders thereafter will be in horns.

3. TE is likely. Higs is probably going to test the market and with Goff up soon he's gonna roll out of here. If they can't find one, it's not the end of the world, but they are undoubtedly turning over stones at the position IMO and it is a damn impressive group. Great year to get a TE and the Rams are going to I think, it's another need vs value deal in many spots. If they drop into round 2 Sternberger is a possibility, round 3 you have Raymond/Warring/Knox, then tons after that almost by round.

4. Safety is likely. They nuked the position and seem to be ready to bring one in, and while that might be fallout from the previous year's work and not realizing Weddle would fall into their laps, I still think they know the position group cold. Probably more of a "if a guy falls" type deal but I think they're ready to pull the trigger.

5. Backup QB is possible. Not a huge need, and has to be the right guy. IMO targets are guys who can come in and make accurate throws with a little ability to move. Manny Wilkins & Gardner Minshew are both intriguing to me as fits for McVay. Also these guys might not get drafted, so we might be talkin UDFA additions at backup.

Edit: 6. CB & LB of course are in play too. You basically have 3 picks that will probably go to OL & NT so if they take a CB it comes out of other possibilities. And that includes explosive types from any position, the big value drop type options which you cannot pass up.

Last edited:

tiger1971

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tiger
The LA RAMS UK team participated in a Live Mock Draft on Monday . All 32 teams were represented and ran through the first 3 rounds only. One minute per pick was allowed with no Trades.
We were given a B+ rating for our picks.

Screenshot_20190424-073831_Twitter.jpg

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A first round Edge, vs Ebukam? Paint me skeptical. Ebu is not horrible, but he doesn't have the high end of some of the players who might fall to them. And Blythe is highly replaceable at OG.

Ebukam is actually a solid player. Plus the rookie would have to get through both he and Matthews, which is just flat out unlikely. But that's why I don't even think we'll draft an edge defender in this draft.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rough thoughts right now...

1. OL is guaranteed to be addressed. And it is likely they will take 2+ players at the position as well. Value & need meet up throughout so I figure one in the first few rounds and another thereafter. Too many options to list.

2. NT is very high likelihood, almost a definite selection, it is a big need that also meets value at many spots for us. Lots of options, but I personally suspect either Lawrence early or Wren/Saunders thereafter will be in horns.

3. TE is likely. Higs is probably going to test the market and with Goff up soon he's gonna roll out of here. If they can't find one, it's not the end of the world, but they are undoubtedly turning over stones at the position IMO and it is a damn impressive group. Great year to get a TE and the Rams are going to I think, it's another need vs value deal in many spots. If they drop into round 2 Sternberger is a possibility, round 3 you have Raymond/Warring/Knox, then tons after that almost by round.

4. Safety is likely. They nuked the position and seem to be ready to bring one in, and while that might be fallout from the previous year's work and not realizing Weddle would fall into their laps, I still think they know the position group cold. Probably more of a "if a guy falls" type deal but I think they're ready to pull the trigger.

5. Backup QB is possible. Not a huge need, and has to be the right guy. IMO targets are guys who can come in and make accurate throws with a little ability to move. Manny Wilkins & Gardner Minshew are both intriguing to me as fits for McVay. Also these guys might not get drafted, so we might be talkin UDFA additions at backup.

Edit: 6. CB & LB of course are in play too. You basically have 3 picks that will probably go to OL & NT so if they take a CB it comes out of other possibilities. And that includes explosive types from any position, the big value drop type options which you cannot pass up.

1. Agreed

2. Somewhat agree but I would say DL is very likely - if a 3-4 DE falls and they love him, they'll draft him IMO and put the best 3 DL on the field

3. I don't think we draft a TE unless he's overwhelmingly the best player

4. I agree that it's probably more of a "if a guy falls" - but I'll say this - Marqui Christian played on every 3rd down last year until the playoffs, where Mark Barron took over. From what we know right now, Kiser probably won't be on the field for any 3rd downs come playoff time - which means that unless they really like Christian (hard one for me to evaluate last year so I really don't know), they might want to upgrade that 3rd safety position with an eye on that guy replacing Weddle next year

5. I personally do not see this happening - I see a relatively high pick spent on a QB next year (2nd 3rd or 4th) - for this year I can't see wasting a pick on such a long shot

6. I think ILB is a must have for this draft

In terms of positional needs, I would rank them like this:

OL - right now our season is over if we have an injury or two, which most teams deal with throughout the year

WR/RB - I put these two together because we just need some more explosion on offense, as the games against the Bears, Eagles and Patriots showed last year

CB - mixture of insuring against injuries and being ready for next year

ILB - no depth right now

S - see CB, as well as possibly playing on 3rd downs

DL - best player in the world, with an at least average NFL starter across from him in Brockers - that other position plus rotations should be handled by Fox, Smart, JFM and Joseph-Day - six players for three positions - I get wanting to upgrade and being ready for Brockers leaving, but the position groups above don't have Aaron Donald - only players I'm considering early for the DL are Simmons or Lawrence - plus our edge rush being better will help Donald

But I know most people don't see WR/RB as that big a need. I will say when I put this list together, I'd be fine with BPA at any of these positions at any point in the draft. I think ultimately their goal will be to come away with 2 OL, 1 DL, 1 ILB - and then from there either CB, S, RB or WR depending on how the draft falls.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I expect that our first pick, whether it's at #31 or a trade down into the second round, will be someone who is expected to replace a 2019 starter in 2020. Someone who is on a one year deal (Fowler) for 2019 or someone whose contract expires after 2019 (Brockers, Talib, Peters, Whitworth). Likely same philosophy in the third round too. I highly doubt that we trade up in the first round, though I would be only mildly surprised if we trade our #31 for a young veteran player just before or during the draft.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DL or Edge seem to be our most pressing needs. Therefore, I expect our first 2 picks to be for those positions, depending on who falls.

After that? I see them going for BPA’s that they think can be developed into future starters. IOW, a shotgun approach that could include virtually any position because heaven knows that there will be starting position openings as soon as next year.

I think that Snead is gonna be light on his feet and prepared to move around up or down after the 2nd round in this draft while being willing to go in unexpected directions position-wise. Everything is on the table since this draft is for the future.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WR/RB - I put these two together because we just need some more explosion on offense, as the games against the Bears, Eagles and Patriots showed last year

Yeah McVay came out and said he wants more explosive players. And going back with this regime they want guys who can threaten matchups in the passing game. This is of course with the understanding that being able to run crisp routes, having good hands, and being an intelligent player who gets the deeper grasp of the game are all basic requirements they look for, in other words the explosive speed types who don't bring those things aren't really fits for this offense.

Let's look a bit deeper at what we have in meeting that expectation, and for purposes of this discussion purple is elite, blue is high end, green is average, orange is unproven, and red is subpar in terms of the position played (in other words for depth they are ranked as depth types):

WRx: Cooks
WRz: Woods
Slot: Kupp
Depth: Reynolds (x, z), Hodge (z), Natson (slot)

RB1: Gurley (Medical Concerns)
RB2: Brown
Depth: Davis, Kelly

TE1: Higbee (FA 2020)
TE2: Everette
TE Depth: Mundt

Now I realize the perceived accuracy of my rough rankings are something that some of you are ready to duke it out over. But that aside it is clear where the Rams' best players are offensively, and where they need help the most. So it should be no surprise that they're looking at RBs in this draft.

But again don't sleep on TE my man. Not only is it a need, but this draft is loaded at the position.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah McVay came out and said he wants more explosive players. And going back with this regime they want guys who can threaten matchups in the passing game. This is of course with the understanding that being able to run crisp routes, having good hands, and being an intelligent player who gets the deeper grasp of the game are all basic requirements they look for, in other words the explosive speed types who don't bring those things aren't really fits for this offense.

Let's look a bit deeper at what we have in meeting that expectation, and for purposes of this discussion purple is elite, blue is high end, green is average, orange is unproven, and red is subpar in terms of the position played (in other words for depth they are ranked as depth types):

WRx: Cooks
WRz: Woods
Slot: Kupp
Depth: Reynolds (x, z), Hodge (z), Natson (slot)

RB1: Gurley (Medical Concerns)
RB2: Brown
Depth: Davis, Kelly

TE1: Higbee (FA 2020)
TE2: Everette
TE Depth: Mundt

Now I realize the perceived accuracy of my rough rankings are something that some of you are ready to duke it out over. But that aside it is clear where the Rams' best players are offensively, and where they need help the most. So it should be no surprise that they're looking at RBs in this draft.

But again don't sleep on TE my man. Not only is it a need, but this draft is loaded at the position.

The reason I would focus on WR is because for me, Reynolds is green. So with our two purples injured last year, our offense went from elite to, at times, poor. The drop off going from Kupp to Reynolds was too painful for us to overcome, and while we hope that Kupp stays healthy this year, I'm not willing to bet the season on it (along with Woods and Cooks staying healthy all year).

The reason I disgree on TEs is, nobody can really point to a play that either Higbee or Everett didn't make. They just didn't get the targets, and with the best group of three WRs and the best RB, it's unlikely a TE ever sees that kind of target share.

I'm also wondering if Higbee will leave the Rams - he doesn't have the production to get a big contract on the open market and we might value him more than any other team.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
They tried trading Higbee last year. My guess is Everett gets the lions share of TE1 this year. I cannot see Rams drafting TE in first three rounds.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They tried trading Higbee last year. My guess is Everett gets the lions share of TE1 this year. I cannot see Rams drafting TE in first three rounds.

Keep in mind TE takes a year to acclimate to the NFL for the most part. The position pretty much requires a redshirt year with only the most elite types not requiring that, and the only guy who I think doesn't in this year's draft is probably going to go top 15 for that reason (TJ Hockenson). So if they don't get a TE to start developing this year, next offseason they're going to be looking at Everette and needing to use a FA acquisition to replace Higs. This is why I think there is a good chance they address it.

As to when they address it, well some of these guys are better fits than others for what McVay wants. I am convinced Jace Sternberger is a Cooper Kupp type fit for what McVay wants in that TE room, and he's a round 2 value. So he's not in play at 31 but if they move down you might be surprised who they pick. Same deal with round 3, which has value at the position.

Lot of Rams fans seem to think TE is fine, that it's not on that addressing list. Which is why I keep mentioning it. When you consider that it's a need for us roster-wise, that McVay was a TE positional coach and cannot be fully happy with the development and production of his TE group overall the past two years, the fact that his offense in Washington featured the position very well, the fact that the WCO historically features the position well, and lastly that this is a hell of a draft for the position... Writing's on the wall.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
Keep in mind TE takes a year to acclimate to the NFL for the most part. The position pretty much requires a redshirt year with only the most elite types not requiring that, and the only guy who I think doesn't in this year's draft is probably going to go top 15 for that reason (TJ Hockenson). So if they don't get a TE to start developing this year, next offseason they're going to be looking at Everette and needing to use a FA acquisition to replace Higs. This is why I think there is a good chance they address it.

As to when they address it, well some of these guys are better fits than others for what McVay wants. I am convinced Jace Sternberger is a Cooper Kupp type fit for what McVay wants in that TE room, and he's a round 2 value. So he's not in play at 31 but if they move down you might be surprised who they pick. Same deal with round 3, which has value at the position.

Lot of Rams fans seem to think TE is fine, that it's not on that addressing list. Which is why I keep mentioning it. When you consider that it's a need for us roster-wise, that McVay was a TE positional coach and cannot be fully happy with the development and production of his TE group overall the past two years, the fact that his offense in Washington featured the position very well, the fact that the WCO historically features the position well, and lastly that this is a hell of a draft for the position... Writing's on the wall.
Rams drafting history is that their draft picks are ones they have met with. They have only met with two TE's both who are late round or priority FA types.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You and i are usually on the same page on everything Rams, but not here. Not to say they won't add another TE via this draft or UDFA etc because they probably will (at some point) but i don't think it's as pressing a position as you've been banging the table over.

IMO they like Higs but love Everett. Gerald was their pick, Higs wasn't but he's been in their offense for awhile. They also like continuity.

We shall see.