A few thoughts about Rams’ superb assistant coaches…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Snead and his crack scouting staff have done a wonderful job in identifying ‘Ram fit’ player talent for years. And they have rightfully been highly praised for it. Their record on finding late round and UDFA talent is remarkable.

In fact, the current Snead strategy of trading high picks for proven top drawer talent is only possible because of Snead and his guys ability to continually keeping the pipeline full. The envy of the league, I think.

But I’ve been thinking…

This strategy is a 2-sided coin and I wonder if Rams asst coaches are getting the full credit that is their due?

Here’s what I mean. Let’s take a look at a few names of recent mid to late round picks and some UDFA’s and ask ourselves if Rams just got ‘lucky’ or benefitted from coincidence when so many of these players vastly exceeded all expectations one after another. Or was there some fantastic coaching going on behind the scenes that turbocharged player development and raised ceilings on so many players’ careers? Sometimes players left Rams only to struggle on other teams. Doesn’t this support my argument?

Check out these names and this is only a partial list just to bolster my argument…

Boom
Edwards
Allen
Hav (okay he was a high pick, but damn, he’s playing at an elite level that nobody saw coming)
Jones
Gaines
SJD
Troy Hill (excelled here but struggled with Browns)
Fuller
Scott

This is but a partial list, there are so many others making significant contributions even though drafted late or not at all. Looks like more gems were found in this ‘22 draft, too. Think that’s just a bunch of coincidences? Me neither.

My point? The combination of talent evaluation AND superb coaching by many assistants has enabled this formerly mediocre team to raise itself to SB winning elite status in just a handful of years.

There are many moving parts to this successful organization and I just wanted to point the spotlight on a possibly under appreciated segment in Rams asst coaching ranks.

Hot Damn!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Snead and his crack scouting staff have done a wonderful job in identifying ‘Ram fit’ player talent for years. And they have rightfully been highly praised for it. Their record on finding late round and UDFA talent is remarkable.

In fact, the current Snead strategy of trading high picks for proven top drawer talent is only possible because of Snead and his guys ability to continually keeping the pipeline full. The envy of the league, I think.

But I’ve been thinking…

This strategy is a 2-sided coin and I wonder if Rams asst coaches are getting the full credit that is their due?

Here’s what I mean. Let’s take a look at a few names of recent mid to late round picks and some UDFA’s and ask ourselves if Rams just got ‘lucky’ or benefitted from coincidence when so many of these players vastly exceeded all expectations one after another. Or was there some fantastic coaching going on behind the scenes that turbocharged player development and raised ceilings on so many players’ careers? Sometimes players left Rams only to struggle on other teams. Doesn’t this support my argument?

Check out these names and this is only a partial list just to bolster my argument…

Boom
Edwards
Allen
Hav (okay he was a high pick, but damn, he’s playing at an elite level that nobody saw coming)
Jones
Gaines
SJD
Troy Hill (excelled here but struggled with Browns)
Fuller
Scott

This is but a partial list, there are so many others making significant contributions even though drafted late or not at all. Looks like more gems were found in this ‘22 draft, too. Think that’s just a bunch of coincidences? Me neither.

My point? The combination of talent evaluation AND superb coaching by many assistants has enabled this formerly mediocre team to raise itself to SB winning elite status in just a handful of years.

There are many moving parts to this successful organization and I just wanted to point the spotlight on a possibly under appreciated segment in Rams asst coaching ranks.

Hot Damn!
Player development is an absolute foundation of the Rams success and that doesn't happen without excellent coaching.

The Rams approach in identifying mid-to-low round draft picks and then building up their strengths is a model other teams would love to copy. I think proper scouting is the first step here, though. Guys who have the specific skills the Rams want.. and they have to be the kinds of guys who can be coached and can commit to a team.

I love everything about this team, and it seems to be the benchmark of what an NFL organization should look like.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The combination of talent evaluation AND superb coaching by many assistants has enabled this formerly mediocre team to raise itself to SB winning elite status in just a handful of years.
I totally agree 43. The Rams pick players with outstanding... something! Athleticism, intelligence, talent, experience, results... or maybe all of the above. I really don't know, but it is working. After a year or two, players really start to develop, and you've listed them above. The front office is very good at identifying prospects that fit their team goals, and the coaches and assistant coaches teach them what is important. And it works. Cheers!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Hot Damn!
One of Sean McVay's strongest asset is his ability to hire assistant coaches, I have been so impressed. Now Joe Barry is a good example. McVay passed on him twice as DC and Barry & McVay were very close. Barry had not had success in that role with the Lions & Washington so after Wade Phillips left, McVay went with Brandon Staley over Barry and then Raheem Morris.

In Fairness to Barry, he's done an outstanding job in Green Bay and learned from Staley, however, McVay showcased the ability to separate friendship from hiring the right person and that's amazing for a young football coach IMHO.

Keep in mind the first time McVay made a move on his coaching staff, was he fired DL Coach Bill Johnson one of Wade's good ole boys and hired Eric Henderson (Coach Henny) away from the Chargers, where he was the Assistant DL Coach. That move is still paying huge dividends and I think back to some of the Rams Coaches in the past and not many of them would have done that.

McVay believes in teaching & developing partnering with the players and the coaches being coachable as well. If we're going to ask our players to be coachable, we've got to be coachable as coaches as well. That displays an ownership and an accountability that we try to all have and makes the players more receptive to the messages we try to implement.

It's truly amazing of the culture with the Rams and that's why I hope Sean McVay is our Head Coach for a long period of time.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One of Sean McVay's strongest asset is his ability to hire assistant coaches, I have been so impressed. Now Joe Barry is a good example. McVay passed on him twice as DC and Barry & McVay were very close. Barry had not had success in that role with the Lions & Washington so after Wade Phillips left, McVay went with Brandon Staley over Barry and then Raheem Morris.

In Fairness to Barry, he's done an outstanding job in Green Bay and learned from Staley, however, McVay showcased the ability to separate friendship from hiring the right person and that's amazing for a young football coach IMHO.

Keep in mind the first time McVay made a move on his coaching staff, was he fired DL Coach Bill Johnson one of Wade's good ole boys and hired Eric Henderson (Coach Henny) away from the Chargers, where he was the Assistant DL Coach. That move is still paying huge dividends and I think back to some of the Rams Coaches in the past and not many of them would have done that.

McVay believes in teaching & developing partnering with the players and the coaches being coachable as well. If we're going to ask our players to be coachable, we've got to be coachable as coaches as well. That displays an ownership and an accountability that we try to all have and makes the players more receptive to the messages we try to implement.

It's truly amazing of the culture with the Rams and that's why I hope Sean McVay is our Head Coach for a long period of time.
Nice post Den and I agree on all counts. McVay not only has a good eye for people, but he also has a spine and can make tough decisions with them as you aptly pointed out with Barry. If you want to move up on his staff you'd better impress the hell out of him too, because you're competing with guys who out there across the league and he's very plugged in with what's going on so he knows the movers and shakers.

Look at O'Connell. He was getting a ton of press that year the Rams hired him but he chose them and for good reason. It's gonna be the same thing with Coen, who easily could have parleyed his time in Kentucky to a good program job somewhere soon. But he returned to the fold for one reason and that is the guy running the show. Truth here is that our head coach is a rock star and now that he's won a Super Bowl he's going to get first pick of a lot of young talented coaches who have a choice.

Btw I don't think McVay knows everything or is at the top of his game. I think he can get a lot better. But he's got a lot of natural skills in the leadership department, and those skills serve him well and dare I say form the base for what he's doing. You're only as good as the people who work for you.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Btw I don't think McVay knows everything or is at the top of his game. I think he can get a lot better. But he's got a lot of natural skills in the leadership department, and those skills serve him well and dare I say form the base for what he's doing. You're only as good as the people who work for you.
I'm anxious to see how he works with Coen coming back, he might lean on him more then O'Connell, who they are now referring to in Minnesota as the Tall Sean McVay.

Others on the staff like Greg Olson & Jake Peetz for example, should also aid McVay on the offensive side of the football because I also feel strongly that McVay can relax on Special Teams now with Joe DeCamillis along with Raheem Morris & Eric Henderson on defense too.

Last edited:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Read a story from Whitworth the other day. After he came over to the Rams in the first few months of practicing with the Rams. He went to meet with Mcvay in his office. When Whit got there Mcvay was watching film of himself running a team meeting. Evaluating his communication and his message and fine tuning how he can make sure it is understood by everyone on the team.

Since Mcvay got here there has been an emphasis on communication and teaching. He sets the tone.

It's been quite remarkable.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm anxious to see how he works with Coen coming back, he might lean on him more then O'Connell, who they are now referring to in Minnesota as the Tall Sean McVay.

Others on the staff like Greg Olson & Jake Peetz for example, should also aid McVay on the offensive side of the football because I also feel strongly that McVay can relax on Special Teams now with Joe DeCamillis along with Raheem Morris & Eric Henderson on defense too.
Yeah nobody is talking about Olson but he was an enormous re-addition to this team. Raiders poaching him and his protections expertise probably hurt Goff who was still early in his curve.

I know this probably isn't fair to O'Connell, but I don't think he's as dynamic as the other guys McVay has had in that role. I'm sure he's very sharp and all that, and he deserves all the cred in the world for being part of that championship, but IMO there's a chance we just got upgraded at OC.

Re: that Minnesota job the HC gig changes the equation. He's going to need to be out there front and center inspiring the roster.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm really looking forward to our coaches and players taking the Rams to new heights this year, and that comes after acknowledging the excellent competition we'll be facing. We lost some games last season that we shouldn't have and we won 5 games during the regular season by 3 points or less, add another 3 wins by just 3 points during the play-offs. I believe the Rams are a better team this year with Stafford entering year 2 with McVay, the addition of Bobby Wagner & what may be the top D in the league, improved depth with our DB's, the young TE's which showed up in the play-offs, a much healthier RB unit, and a bunch of veterans who are hungry for another Championship Ring. I want to bury some teams this season, and that starts with Buffalo ...
jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'll tell you what: when Raheem Morris gets poached (and he will have a head coaching job if our defense is good enough), I want us to keep Henderson badly. Make him the DC. Same with Thomas Brown being the OC when Coen gets poached.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I forgot Greg Olson will be back. He was a great addition for the short period of time, but he did wonders for Goff I can only imagine how this offense will do with Stafford under him. It may be the umph we were looking for last season when our O was coming short…

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Is there a place on this thread to sign up for the Eric Yarber fan club?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll tell you what: when Raheem Morris gets poached (and he will have a head coaching job if our defense is good enough), I want us to keep Henderson badly. Make him the DC. Same with Thomas Brown being the OC when Coen gets poached.
Would be well deserved. Though I will say I think McVay prioritizes back end knowledge in his DCs. And if that's true then he might be grooming Shula for the gig once Raheem gets that job.

Some of these guys aren't gonna ever get a coordinator job under McVay. Their best chance will be jumping with that new staff who gets hired away.

Btw it's the same story on the offensive side. Which is why Brown got moved to TE where he can learn the passing game.

Last edited: