A few random thoughts on this 1st day of FA...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, Whit, Blythe, and Floyd are signed for approx $20-23M combined. Doesn’t that pretty much consume our available cap space minus draft picks? We now would have to go the dreaded restructure route to free up more money, huh?

The cap casualty NRC is now a bit better understood. Fine player but money is tight and Ram CB corps is deep, so he was sacrificed.

At least that takes 3 screaming needs off the list for Snead at draft time. He’s now better positioned to take BPA and/or trade up or down in the draft to maximize value.

Anybody think that the Rams can really trade away Gurley and/or Cooks? In a manner that doesn’t ruin our cap situation, I mean? I’ve gotta see it to believe it.

We’re seeing the Rams ‘New Normal’ for offseasons, I think. Extend a very few vets that they most like and let all others walk and wait for the future comp picks. Emphasis VERY few. Maybe a trade here and there. Just the way it is on a loaded roster with 6-8 elite type players getting their big 2nd contracts. Heart wrenching for fans and players alike.

Thank goodness that the Snead/McVay duo have had good draft and FA results. Must continue to do so to provide any hope to reload this roster every year. This can’t be overstated.

I guess the OL doesn’t look like such a big draft project after the Whit and Blythe extensions. There was a time that that OL was everybody’s Job One. Now, probably front 7 looks like it will be getting the lion’s share of draft attention. I see a RB and WR in that draft somewhere, too. Even IF Gurley or Cooks are not traded.

Wonder what are the odds of GZ being extended now that the Cowboys are out of the market for him? BTW, what does it say about Fassel’s opinion of GZ when the Cowboys extended their guy over pouncing on GZ?

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the strategy sessions with Staley as to his impressions of existing Ram front 7 players and whether Staley REALLY liked Fowler and Littleton for his ‘new’ D. Since the Rams didn’t make superhuman moves to retain either player, I’m guessing that Staley might prefer other and different ‘types’. Further moves in FA and the draft concerning LB might kinda confirm this one way or the other. The Floyd signing sorta hints that Staley puts a higher premium on run D than Wade did. Might be handy vs the 49ers and Seahawks in particular, huh?

Is it possible that the Rams FO is higher on our ‘19 depth players among our front 7 than most of us fans are? I’m suspecting that they might be. Again, future FA/draft moves will clarify this a bit.

All for now. Thoughts?

AlphaRam

Rookie
From the estimates on Spotrac we had 21.5 million going into today, so with these three deals we've pretty much spent all of it. I do envision then moving Gurley, it makes too much sense not to financially.

TexasRam

Legend
I’m still pissed about the Floyd signing. We have so much depth at that position. Why pay 10 million when you can fill that position on the cheap.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I’m still pissed about the Floyd signing. We have so much depth at that position. Why pay 10 million when you can fill that position on the cheap.

Floyd does something our other OLBs can't do: drop into coverage, stuff the run, and shift over to inside linebacker in a pinch.

He was a former first round pick, and a great player in his first year; I don't mind seeing him on a one year deal.

Ram65

Legend
Well, Whit, Blythe, and Floyd are signed for approx $20-23M combined. Doesn’t that pretty much consume our available cap space minus draft picks? We now would have to go the dreaded restructure route to free up more money, huh?

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/2020-salary-cap.60808/

This is the guestimate cap thread that includes draft pool and estimated in season operating expenses (in season moves). The draft pool and operating expenses are accounted for. It's not perfect but, it is a reasonable guideline. Rams are close to spending most of the $23.5Mil. I would wait for the new details. The Rams have some room with Goff's contract to get some more money which has been discussed. (Convert roster to signing bonus). Also Matthews could be trade or cut to save some space.

We’re seeing the Rams ‘New Normal’ for offseasons, I think. Extend a very few vets that they most like and let all others walk and wait for the future comp picks. Emphasis VERY few. Maybe a trade here and there. Just the way it is on a loaded roster with 6-8 elite type players getting their big 2nd contracts. Heart wrenching for fans and players alike.

Sounds about right. It was expected.

Wonder what are the odds of GZ being extended now that the Cowboys are out of the market for him? BTW, what does it say about Fassel’s opinion of GZ when the Cowboys extended their guy over pouncing on GZ?

They can find the money for JZ if they want to. I think they will. Length of contract will be interesting with his injury history.

I guess the OL doesn’t look like such a big draft project after the Whit and Blythe extensions. There was a time that that OL was everybody’s Job One.

Some still think it is Job One.:censored:

There isn't the cap space to make a big splash for the O Line. Whit, Blythe and the young guys will have to do. We will see what the draft brings. The Rams moves were right about what many here expected.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I am not a huge fan of going around in circles. Snead has been here long enough to know which routes he needs to take to have a steady Star-Studded group of players. I just hope it works so we can move forward and get better.

Ram65

Legend
Floyd does something our other OLBs can't do: drop into coverage, stuff the run, and shift over to inside linebacker in a pinch.

He was a former first round pick, and a great player in his first year; I don't mind seeing him on a one year deal.

Nice response Memento.

I think the Rams move him around a lot. I'm excited about his versatility. Ebu, Obo, Polite and Lawler can also be solid pass rushers. Rams need coverage and run-stopping as well as pass rushing. I think he becomes Staley's wild card.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Nice response Memento.

I think the Rams move him around a lot. I'm excited about his versatility. Ebu, Obo, Polite and Lawler can also be solid pass rushers. Rams need coverage and run-stopping as well as pass rushing. I think he becomes Staley's wild card.

Don't forget about Jeff Holland. He has a ton of potential himself. Wouldn't be surprised to see him make the 53 man roster.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
Anyone here on the boards think the Rams are in a bit of a rebuilding mode? Gosh, we lost some key defensive players. What do y'all think?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
The Floyd signing sorta hints that Staley puts a higher premium on run D than Wade did.
I think/hope that we'll see a more constantly disciplined D with Staley. I loved Wade, nothing but respect for him, but the regular season defense lacked some discipline. It seemed like the guys up front were looking for sacks, and the run D suffered because of it.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Can identify starters at each spot, ILB is the exception, Littleton may be replaced from within or a draft pick. The Gurley thing is still out there, have no idea how it will end up. Cooks has to stay, have no idea why any team would trade anything of value for him with such a strong WR draft next month. K is still open, have to believe the Rams have a plan there.
Got off to a slow start, but after today feel better about the offseason at this point. Going into the draft not having to draft a specific position is a great spot to be in. Draft for talent not need.

dang

Legend
Nice response Memento.

I think he may be Littletons replacement not Fowler’s.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyone here on the boards think the Rams are in a bit of a rebuilding mode? Gosh, we lost some key defensive players. What do y'all think?

There is more turnover, hitting “key players” than the previous two years for sure.

Let’s call it re-tooling? It happens every year, more or less. But, yes...This year for us feels more.