A few outside-the-box suggestions for your consideration...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Warning: These are REALLY outside the box. Lol.

Release Ficken. Let Hekker handle kickoff and PAT duties, or just go for 2 points every time. I’m serious. And I bet the anaytics, for THIS offense, would back me up. Once GZ returns, go back to status quo.

Just down kickoffs and put the ball into play. Yeah, have a player back there to handle short kicks, but otherwise just down the ball in the end zone. If Cooper returns, or some other stud falls into their laps, then return to status quo.

Strongly consider going for it on 4th and 3, or less, from the 50 yard line on. Yeah, Hekker is amazing, but so is this O. They are just getting better and better and now are at the point of looking almost unstoppable. If worst comes to worst and they fail to convert, we have a stout D that is difficult to score upon. And the extra gained possessions would doubtless yield more Ram points. Weighing the pros and cons might just show a net positive to this controversial strategy. And tinkering with the yard line and/or 4th down distance might make the analytics more decisive. I know that this last suggestion is the most controversial, and that to some Johnny Hekker is a sacred cow. I love him, myself. I ask only that you think about these before having a knee-jerk reaction. Lol.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Actually, with the way our offense is playing, that's not a bad idea.

Well, except I'd move the 50 to the opponent's 40.

Let's not understate the power of field position.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
These are very strong arguments -- there's many a HS FB team that employs the "never punt" strategy as the statistics are on their side, that it always leads to more possessions & more points.
But after watching the highlights, I'm OK (for now) with Ficken, the missed FG was hooked, & he was hooking some other (made) shots, but most of his KO's weren't bad, he made the PAT's (missing one of these is worse than missing a 46 yarder IMO), and I'd much rather he put the miles on his leg vs. Hekker. On the other hand, Hekker is in great shape & is used to (from the Fisher era) getting 6-10 punts / game... this last game, he punted like, once?? he's just gonna waste away on the sideline I tell ya. So, I dunno.... we'll find out soon I guess!! just hope GZ gets back soon...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sorry, but I don't release Ficken just to put Hekker on field goal tries. I love Hekker, but I'd love to save his leg when we need him.

And the field position game is too important to risk turning it over on downs.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
It depends on what type of Defense we're playing. When we play KC, I say yes do exactly what you're describing. Pedal to the metal.
But against the Vikings. No way.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Sorry, but I don't release Ficken just to put Hekker on field goal tries. I love Hekker, but I'd love to save his leg when we need him.

And the field position game is too important to risk turning it over on downs.

Agree...Unless they choose to try to sign a better kicker than Ficken, don't see how you go without one...If the game came down to a 45-yard FG, you might not like the Ficken option, but I can assure you I'd rather he than Hekker try it..Hekker made a 20 something-yard FG...That's cool, but I think there's a decent chance that I couldn't make one as well ...Just my opinion, I learned long ago that mine could very easily be wrong...

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hekk doesn't need to be incurring more risk of injury doing kicks. I'd also cut Ficken however. But then I'd bring in Aguayo and pray my @$$ off that my all-world teams coach can get his head on straight.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hekk doesn't need to be incurring more risk of injury doing kicks. I'd also cut Ficken however. But then I'd bring in Aguayo and pray my @$$ off that my all-world teams coach can get his head on straight.

If we had to cut Ficken, I'd bring in Daniel Carlson. Wouldn't it be so fucking ironic and karmic justice if we signed Carlson and he kicked the winning field goal against the Vikings?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we had to cut Ficken, I'd bring in Daniel Carlson. Wouldn't it be so freaking ironic and karmic justice if we signed Carlson and he kicked the winning field goal against the Vikings?

That would be funny as F.

But at this point most of the options out there for kickers are terrible. Wasn't too long ago Aguayo was touted as one of the greatest collegiate kickers ever. He crashed and burned and lost his confidence but at least he's played the position at a very high and consistent level. I keep wondering whether some team will benefit from helping him find it, or if the Rams are one of the teams who might be able to, given Fassel's presence.

TexasRam

Legend
i’ve thought about it myself.

why not go all madden on the league and go for it on 4th down when in between 30-40 and for PATs.

the only time we wouldn’t is if clock demands one last play and a fg wins the game. For this reason i pickup a kicker that can kick 50+ yards, accurate or not.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be funny as F.

But at this point most of the options out there for kickers are terrible. Wasn't too long ago Aguayo was touted as one of the greatest collegiate kickers ever. He crashed and burned and lost his confidence but at least he's played the position at a very high and consistent level. I keep wondering whether some team will benefit from helping him find it, or if the Rams are one of the teams who might be able to, given Fassel's presence.

IIRC, even in college he was known for great accuracy on short kicks, but without the leg for long ones. I'm not sure he'd actually be a big plus over Ficken, even if he regains his kicking skills. Maybe a small gain, but that's only if he regains his ability to not shank so many short ones like he had in college, but not in the pros

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Field position is such a under appreciated statistic. Most teams go into a shell when they get backed up inside the 10 (like the Chargers yesterday....) and our special teams made them pay. Right now, that is an extreme edge we have over most teams. I'd almost say go for it inside the 20 on fourth down (and the yds to gain was under 7.....) Teams would ride that emotional rollercoaster that ends games. When Littleton blocked that punt. W/O the Talib injury, San Diego, (yeah.... I know...) would have been finished. Teams would start pressing just to get a couple of first downs to keep their defenses off the field. Gives someone Like McVay or Phillips a leg up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree whole heartedly with the first part but not sure why we would cut the kicker the Rams brass chose in order to replace him with someone they didn’t. I’ll admit that I don’t know for sure why they went with Ficken last year AND this year but they did, so I’ll go with what they saw as the better option. Great options at kicker would already be on teams - especially with some of the shit performances we’ve seen this season in just three weeks.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I would rather Hecker miss a fg than watch Ficken kick again

Change the game ! Kicker and punter in 1, double the salary and save a roster spot

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree whole heartedly with the first part but not sure why we would cut the kicker the Rams brass chose in order to replace him with someone they didn’t. I’ll admit that I don’t know for sure why they went with Ficken last year AND this year but they did, so I’ll go with what they saw as the better option. Great options at kicker would already be on teams - especially with some of the crap performances we’ve seen this season in just three weeks.
People seem to have this fascination with cutting the guy. He missed a field goal it's the end of the world. Then again we're Rams fans, we have to have something to complain about on a 3-0 team.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I don't mind keeping Ficken until GZ is 100%. Having Hekker punt on the opponent's 40 would provide juicy field position if he angles his kicks correctly.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are only 32 professional kickers for the NFL in the entire world.

The question is whether Ficken is #33? I’m guessing that he’s probably not.

And if he's not, why aren’t they pursuing the correct one as we speak?

Another thing. About “saving Hekker’s leg”? He guy only punted once yesterday.

Yeah, that’s below normal, but what IS normal? Three? Four? On this O Hekker is in little danger of being overworked. Lol.

Remember the jokes about our punter in the GSOT days?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
No on Hekker kicking

Ficken will come around or Rams go for two....simple.

I don’t have the impulse to waive Ficken.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Kickers tend to get injured more than punters from my recollections. I’d rather not put all our kicking eggs in one basket.

And if Ficken loses a game for us then MAYBE he was a rare mistake made by this staff. But kickers can be a flukey lot. Good kickers fuck up. Kickers that have fucked up in the past, find their groove. I remember GZ going through a really bad stretch a couple years ago. I guess we should have cut Greg then because there were a lot of fans saying we should. Hell Hekker had some rough periods early on and shanked one in pre-season.

So we flip the page and bring in the next of a quirky lot. Does he make us a better team? Does he make everything he kicks? Does he sign for what might be just a few games? Do we know anything about how the Rams went about pursueing kickers?

Honestly. Can anyone really say they have watched tape on KICKERS to see how they handled situations, surfaces, weather, etc? Anybody? Pretty sure Bones has.