A Defense Under Pleasant

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
This defense is better this year simply because of the play of the DBs. That is all Aubrey Pleasant's influence. The lack of pass rush is all on Morris and his idiotic mixed gap attack front. He's trying to play with a 0T NT but he doesn't have one. Brown is clearly a one gap NT. Forcing the others to play a gap and a half slows them down. That's why teams pass so much on early downs because they know their QB will have time. How stupid is it that Morris can't see that? Doesn't he chart the plays? Doesn't he do any film work? The obvious answer is NO.

Even a novice QB can tell what to expect from Morris' defense because there is little or no disguising of anything. The minute he sees Brown aligned in a 0T the center and QB know what the DL play will be and that he will have time to throw short and intermediate passes.

Morris has a front 7 built to play a one gap style. Young is a one gap edge, Donald is a one gap DT and Brown is a one gap NT. When Morris allows them to play one gap they can and do get pressure. So why doesn't he do it all the time? IMO Pleasant would play his front 7 the way he plays his DBs. He wants them to attack the route at the break.

I think we have seen enough of Pleasant's aggressive style to know if he was DC that front 7 would play in a completely different manner. This would be a much better defense with this same personnel. Morris is an idiot because he's got the best DT in the history of the NFL and he puts him on a leash. A better DC would simply unleash his best weapon on every snap he plays.

I think Morris is gone next year because otherwise there would be no need for Jimmy Lake. IMO he's the tell. Jimmy also carries the title of assist HC which is given to a coach that the team doesn't want poached. Aubrey in a promotion, with Morris becoming a consultant negates the Rooney Rule. Lake then becomes the DB coach and assistant DC. Aubrey plays his DBs much like Wade Phillips, mixing zone and man coverages with an aggressive style of play. With Aubrey as DC this defense will move into the top half of the rankings instead of being mired in the bottom half as they have been with Morris.

How do I know the problem is Morris? Because he had Donald, Wagner (both on their way to the HOF) and Ramsey all on the same defense at the same time. That defense sank to a new low of 20th in the NFL. Without Wagner and Ramsey they are ranked in the middle. So the argument Morris didn't have the players is BS. A good coach plays to the strength of his players. Something Morris is clueless about.

Last edited:

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have never been a fan of Morris. I don't hate the guy but I'd take Staley or a discarded Fangio in a heart beat over this guy.

He's not watching the same game film the rest of the NFL is watching IMO

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pleasant and Henderson are both getting the most from their groups. Both are likely to get DC gigs this offseason. I don't think Morris is a top DC (he's a middle of the pack type IMO) but it's hard to criticize him when this defense was gutted on the personnel side.

If Morris gets a HC gig things will sort smoothly, Rams will need to let him have either Henderson or Pleasant as DC. I suspect they will let him have Pleasant but it could go either way. And the other might leave for a DC gig if he doesn't get it with the Rams.

If Morris doesn't get the HC gig then things get interesting. I don't know how long Morris' contract was for, which might factor in as well. But at that point McVay has to deal with potentially losing two top quality position coaches to DC gigs on top of the question of whether he should upgrade the DC job.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I have never been a Morris fan and here's why two reasons.

He had all 5he players Staley had and we sunk to middle to bottom third of the pack. That is unacceptable.

Secondly similar to the OP Morris never disguises his blitzes or rushes for the most part. Belichick and Staley have all 6/7 on the line bouncing into to blitz or bouncing back to cover this Amoeba defense is super effective because for an extra second the Offense doesn't know who to account for minus the DTs and DEs this imo is super effective in causing a little havoc.

When McVay came over we instantly jumped up into the leaders in Offense. When Morris came over we regressed from Staley that should be a tell for any future team wanting to hire him as a HC mediocre Jeff Fisher type no vision. In his defense this year Snead stripped him of assets especially Ramsey, Floyd and AShawn minimumly which definitely hampered his effectiveness but scheme wise he has shown little.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Man.. imagine this motherfucker at HOA meetings...

"And.. finally... when are we going to do something about the kids making so much noise in the pool????"

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

"And.. finally... when are we going to do something about the kids making so much noise in the pool????"
Meanwhile there haven't been kids in his neighborhood in decades.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
IMG_4393.jpeg

Look at the way he holds that trophy like he had something to do with winning a championship. What an asshole!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
One great player. That's it. A couple rookies who should be good at some point but are still learning. A decent but not pro bowl caliber linebacker in Ernest Jones. The rest are day 3 picks or undrafted. And the poor play is the coach's fault? Actually I think he should be commended for getting them to play better than expected. And by the way, the secondary is part of the problem on defense. Poor tackling, penalties and too many open receivers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, when? They're being really annoying.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
It always astounds me that such a mediocre DC could inspire so much hate against him. Or have such ardent defenders.

Morris is doing a good job this year IMO. Far and away his best in horns. Look at the defensive roster. It is hard to expect much more than what has been shown to date. We could upgrade on him, yes, and I'd like to if feasible. But he's fine. For a comp pick I'd certainly go to market, regardless of who is out there. Maybe even give a young up and comer a chance if no names are enticing, but pocket the 3rd round pick and move on IMO. So I am hoping he draws interest from other teams.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Morris is doing a good job this year IMO. Far and away his best in horns. Look at the defensive roster.

I'm one of Morris's bigger critics around here, but I do think this is correct. The personnel of this D was absolutely gutted this past offseason, and by all rights they should be an abysmal, horrible D even with AD. Instead, they are hanging in there most games, and while they've definitely had some growing pains, they've also had some marked growth. And they really sucked it up and did well in the 2nd half of both games against Seattle, helping us to get a season sweep.

As for the main topic, if Morris does move on for whatever reason after this year, I'd love to see Pleasant get his shot. We have a talent deficit in the secondary right now but they are playing better than you would expect, and I think AP's presence has a lot to do with that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It always astounds me that such a mediocre DC could inspire so much hate against him. Or have such ardent defenders.

Morris is doing a good job this year IMO. Far and away his best in horns. Look at the defensive roster. It is hard to expect much more than what has been shown to date. We could upgrade on him, yes, and I'd like to if feasible. But he's fine. For a comp pick I'd certainly go to market, regardless of who is out there. Maybe even give a young up and comer a chance if no names are enticing, but pocket the 3rd round pick and move on IMO. So I am hoping he draws interest from other teams.
Yeah.. you're misreading the room on the ardent defenders thing.. No one is claiming he's Fangio or even Demeco Ryans.

I'm ALWAYS sticking up for him.. but not because I think he's an outstanding DC.. I think he's fine. Better than a lot.. and not a truly elite guy.

I just see an overwhelming amount of bad takes and blame placed on him and the defense at times and am happy to challenge people on it. Especially when they're calling him names and shit.

He lead the Rams defense that won a Super Bowl. Folks, he's not bad at what he does.

And If someone wants him as an HC? Great!! I'd love the comp pick and think the Rams should be able to get another really good guy at the position.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
This defense is better this year simply because of the play of the DBs. That is all Aubrey Pleasant's influence. The lack of pass rush is all on Morris and his idiotic mixed gap attack front. He's trying to play with a 0T NT but he doesn't have one. Brown is clearly a one gap NT. Forcing the others to play a gap and a half slows them down. That's why teams pass so much on early downs because they know their QB will have time. How stupid is it that Morris can't see that? Doesn't he chart the plays? Doesn't he do any film work? The obvious answer is NO.

Even a novice QB can tell what to expect from Morris' defense because there is little or no disguising of anything. The minute he sees Brown aligned in a 0T the center and QB know what the DL play will be and that he will have time to throw short and intermediate passes.

Yikes. Is this a parody?

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
When Morris came over we regressed from Staley
Except for what matters. Reading through, others have said it. Staley took Fangio defense and few were playing it. Teams ready for it more in 2021-2023, and as many as 13-14 teams use its principles (per Cody Alexander)

Morris ran same scheme in much the same way and he got results. Staley, when he got his shot with Chargers for his three years and is going to be gone.

It shows that good coaches can get some bad results.

Neither Morris, nor Staley were perfect.

Deifying Staley and scapegoating Morris is lazy thinking.

And also, as it seems many have figured out maybe OND is not the one you want to listen to when it comes
to schemes and personnel.

Attachments

• 2023-12-02_22-18-16.jpg
    2023-12-02_22-18-16.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 18

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Just as reference ... and there are other examples.

Rams did plenty of off-coverage in 2020, used Ramsey as star and played OLBers (here Ebukam)
walked out. It happens in base defense (when other team is in 21 or 12) and they split maybe a TE
or go with slot formation. It's a "gone" call.

there is a shot from Fangio playbook one with Sam and one with Will in the slot ("gone"

Attachments

• F53pYmhWkAA45tQ.jpg
    F53pYmhWkAA45tQ.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 14
  • F53pYmKWEAAGmFt.jpg
    F53pYmKWEAAGmFt.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2023-12-02_22-41-20.jpg
    2023-12-02_22-41-20.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2023-12-02_16-57-26.jpg
    2023-12-02_16-57-26.jpg