A Dashon Goldson question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

wolfman84

Rookie
Dashon Goldson of the 49er's is currently on a franchise tag $6.2+mil contract and a free agent in 2013. The Raven's Ed Reed is the top paid safety at $7.2mil. Is there added value to overpaying a pro bowl caliber player in a position of need and at the same time weaken a divisional rival? If so, at what price?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sure there's added value.

I don't know that we can afford it right now though.
Unless we make some other cuts or restructure some other salaries.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I would also have concerns with having ~ $7M tied up in a safety. Add that to Finnegan's money and that's one high priced "rear end".

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We had plenty of cap room for 2013, but we've signed some extensions. So I'm not sure our cap picture for next year any longer.

But...

SJ won't cost as much if he signs ($6M this year) and you could argue Mikell could be in trouble (another $6M I believe).

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
We had plenty of cap room for 2013, but we've signed some extensions. So I'm not sure our cap picture for next year any longer.

But...

SJ won't cost as much if he signs ($6M this year) and you could argue Mikell could be in trouble (another $6M I believe).
I've heard it bandied about that we should have about $10M after these extensions. But, like you said, they can make some tough choices and free up more. I'd like to see Bradford restructure to even his contract out for the next few years, but I seriously doubt it will happen. He's the big cap hit going into 2014.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

But...

I've heard it bandied about that we should have about $10M after these extensions. But, like you said, they can make some tough choices and free up more. I'd like to see Bradford restructure to even his contract out for the next few years, but I seriously doubt it will happen. He's the big cap hit going into 2014.

I suspect it could be too early, but you could argue a win-win extension with Bradford.

Next year is year 4 of his 6 year deal. For him, more years. For us, some salary cap relief.

I don't know. It's probably too early. And, I don't know the dollars involved and I'm sure its complex. But one could argue an extension after this year is "cheaper" than after a season we go into the playoffs.

wolfman84

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All good points, and yet I wouldn't mind expressing enough interest to drive up the price required for the 9er's to keep him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
wolfman84 said:
All good points, and yet I wouldn't mind expressing enough interest to drive up the price required for the 9er's to keep him.
That too.

I like where your head's at.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's a million more than Mikell for upgraded play. It's worth it and can be cap finagled over the term without back loading to easy the burden.
I read the Rams have about 10 mil. cap right now. They had a couple mil. last year at the same time and came up to around 15- 20 mil. with out too much trouble.
I don't see as big of a roster turnover this year, but it will be a bunch of new faces and with Demoff being smart they should get to around 25 mil. cap room by FA time.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
X said:
CGI_Ram said:

But...

How much will DA count against the cap when he gets franchised, which is what I'm guessing is going to happen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
brokeu91 said:
How much will DA count against the cap when he gets franchised, which is what I'm guessing is going to happen.

Well, if this link is right (and I'm sure it's close) the franchise tag for WR is $9.5M in 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_tag

No way Danny Amendola gets franchised. No way.

This is going to be interesting to watch. What will the market value be for him? Because of his injuries, I believe it will be much lower than most of us worry about. Maybe $5M/yr average? Which is still serious coin.