A closer look at the 3-1 starts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm convinced that if last years offense played like this years the Rams would have been 4-0. If this years offense played like last years offense they would be 0-4.

And if this years defense played like last years defense they would be 4-0. If last years defense played like this years defense they would be 0-4.

Interesting I think.

Through 4 games......different opponents etcetcetc I know but I wanted to see how things looked held up against each other, I wanted to take a quick peek under the rug after thinking about what I just said above.

2016 points 63 (hold your nose LOL)
2017 points 142

2016 points against 76
2017 points against 105

Some other stuff I thought was interesting

2016 total yards 1076
2017 total yards 1574
(side note Goff has 1072 yards passing essentially matching 2016's total yards through 4 games)

That equals about 118 more yards per game. That's an enormous turnaround that extrapolated over 16 games is 1,888 yards.

2016 rushing TD's 2
2017 rushing TD's 5

2016 TD/INT 4/3
2017 TD/INT 7/1

I know it's Goff v. Keenum here but still it's part of the equation.

This is a telling stat.

2016 total yards given up 1471
2017 total yards given up 1518

A difference of 2.94 yards per game. Or the equivilant of one 2016 Todd Gurley carry. (Ha sorry couldn't resist because I'm so glad he is in a zone).

So the 2016 was bend but don't break through three games and the 2017 defense seems to be bend and then break. They have been gashed by big plays that have led to points.

Overall I thought it was interesting to see how the records are the same but how different the numbers looked and how different the games felt. The vibe from last year was light years from the vibe this year.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Helps that McVay's team preparation involves keeping the team on their toes against any team. Fisher's country club atmosphere filled with bathrooms of unflushed toilets kept this team holding back some games relative to the talent they have.

fearsomefour

Legend
Through 10 weeks in 2016 the Rams scored a total of 136 points.
That means Nov 10th.
Fing yikes.
All hail McVay!!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Through 10 weeks in 2016 the Rams scored a total of 136 points.
That means Nov 10th.
Fing yikes.
All hail McVay!!

I didn't think to look at that but dayum by then how many will the Rams have this year I wonder?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I didn't think to look at that but dayum by then how many will the Rams have this year I wonder?
Rams on pace for 568 points after 16 games. That'd be #3 all time. Doubt they can keep this pace up but even with it lowering will be a top offense. Who knows. Let's just enjoy this ride!!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
2016 total yards given up 1471
2017 total yards given up 1518

A difference of 2.94 yards per game. Or the equivilant of one 2016 Todd Gurley carry. (Ha sorry couldn't resist because I'm so glad he is in a zone).

So the 2016 was bend but don't break through three games and the 2017 defense seems to be bend and then break. They have been gashed by big plays that have led to points.
So, basically the same defense...

Thanks for the post Les

…..

Legend
I cant remember where I heard it but someone said the Rams average starting field position plus average yards gained per drive= Greg Zuerline range . Points scored on. nearly. every. drive. Pretty good practical evidence of that this this last game with 7 field goals. Not counting the kneel down at the end if the game, the Rams had the ball for 11 drives and Sunday, scoring on 9 of the 11.

So....yeah a bit different than 2016

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
ummm noooo..

2016 points against 76
2017 points against 105

Don't just pull facts that help support your argument.

No stats needed...basically playing about the same...probably playing Tolzein skewed the points numbers...but the yards tell us they've moved the ball almost at will...Yards per carry average would probably tell more...no reason to look it up...Turnovers too...seems like we've had a few more int's...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No stats needed...basically playing about the same...probably playing Tolzein skewed the points numbers...but the yards tell us they've moved the ball almost at will...Yards per carry average would probably tell more...no reason to look it up...Turnovers too...seems like we've had a few more int's...

You may be right, I didn't look.

I'll check it out but something tells me you are likely correct.

I didn't look at third down conversion either.

I was just contrasting the big picture stuff.

Q729

Legend
Here's another look at the 2017 3-1 start.

Screenshot-2017-10-2 NFL Season Standings Division NFL com.png

Last edited:

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
The 4-1 team of last season got to where they were by stumbling in. This season we are dissecting and dismantling our opponents with precession.

I cant even imagine how we'd look if we had last years D.

Actually i can. It ryhmes with pooper Cole.