A closer look at Sam Bradford's struggles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Nick Wagoner
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/1512/a-closer-look-at-sam-bradfords-struggles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/p ... -struggles</a>

nfl_u_bradford_d1_576.jpg

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Not that there ever is a good time for an NFL quarterback to have a bad game, but the St. Louis Rams' Sam Bradford probably couldn’t have picked a worse time to have one of his shoddiest NFL outings than last week’s nationally televised blowout loss to the San Francisco 49ers.

With all eyes on Bradford and the Rams, the fourth-year quarterback had a 59.2 quarterback rating that drew mass amounts of criticism, and led media types from all over the country to take a deeper look at Bradford’s career to this point and where it might be headed.

Bradford, who has long been his own harshest critic, even went so far as to acknowledge that the San Francisco game was one of his worst.

“I was very frustrated,” Bradford said. “I think last week was definitely one of the tougher games that I’ve had, just knowing how good this offense can be and the way that we can play, to perform the way that we did, it was very frustrating.”

A bad game can happen to any player or quarterback, but this particular game has people wondering what, exactly, is wrong with Bradford and whether his career trajectory has flat-lined?

To be sure, there are plenty of mitigating factors around Bradford that aren’t helping his cause: shaky protection, a non-existent running game, and a slow and predictable scheme that doesn’t take advantage of Bradford’s ability to operate in an up-tempo, no huddle situation.

All of those are valid criticisms holding Bradford back, but ESPN NFL scout Matt Williamson points out that, at some point, the onus falls on the quarterback to bolster his team and not vice-versa.

“I think all of these things are to blame, and we have been able to place blame somewhere else throughout Bradford’s career,” Williamson said. “But enough is enough. Good quarterbacks elevate those around them and overcome a hardship or two. He was awful against the Niners, and even when his surroundings were optimal, he missed open guys and was far too reactive to pressure, whether it was truly present or not. This has become a recurring issue and now, I finally have my doubts.”

ESPN ‘s Louis Riddick, himself a former scout and pro personnel director who also played in the league, long has had his suspicions that Bradford might never become the franchise quarterback that most expected when the Rams drafted him No. 1 overall in 2010.

Riddick has watched far more games than just the tough outing against the Niners, and again saw many of the same traits that he believes have held Bradford back from reaching the status most believed he would.

Included in those traits are struggles with comfort and confidence in finding secondary targets, inability to stand tall or elude pressure in the pocket or make off-schedule plays, and failure to consistently deliver the ball accurately. All of those attributes are compounded by what Riddick calls a reluctance to push the ball down the field.

While acknowledging the issues around Bradford, Riddick said he’s never seen the intelligence and ability Bradford has in the classroom carry over to the field.

“I think it’s a confluence of things that are adding up to Sam not taking the expected next step as far as his development is concerned,” Riddick said. “Quite honestly, I’ve never been one that’s really seen franchise difference-making, put-the-team-on-my-back type of ability. I’m just not sold on him being a franchise quarterback, regardless of all the other things going on around him that aren’t necessarily helping him.”

In terms of fundamentals, Riddick points to a few areas where he sees Bradford struggle the most. In his eyes, Bradford still doesn’t look comfortable under center, lacks urgency in his drops and footwork and doesn’t have the feet or awareness to negotiate the pocket and find openings to deliver the ball.

When Bradford does find throwing lanes, Riddick doesn’t see a quarterback who consistently throws with touch and accuracy despite the occasional flash of brilliance.

“I know that’s a very general statement to make, because there are a number of different things that go into it,” Riddick said. “All those things just don’t seem to be clicking for him to where it’s become second nature for him and it will equate to him being a more accurate, productive quarterback. I just don’t see all those things coming together.”

After an offseason in which the Rams spent major dollars and draft capital to surround Bradford with talent, it was unlikely that all those pieces would come together quickly. The Rams are young at running back and receiver, and Bradford, himself, is still young.

Coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead have done as much as possible to give Bradford the ideal conditions to succeed, to replicate the type of protection and weapons he once enjoyed on his way to the Heisman Trophy at Oklahoma.

But maybe, just maybe, that’s the issue. Could it be that Bradford is a mediocre quarterback in average circumstances who can only rise to another level if all things surrounding him are perfect?

“It’s much easier for any quarterback when he’s out there and it just seems like it’s a 7-on-7 like in any practice,” Riddick said. “There’s a lot of stuff that happens in 2.53 seconds after the snap. That wasn’t happening to him at Oklahoma.”

Riddick said he’d give Bradford more time, but he also believes that despite consistent assertions to the contrary, the Rams have to at least be keeping a watchful eye on Bradford through the next dozen games.

“I’d love to see Sam Bradford excel, I’d love to see every player excel, but for me speaking objectively from afar, I would be having some questions at this point and start thinking what if it’s not getting better?” Riddick said. “What if, no matter what we do, it’s just not what we thought it was going to be? So, yeah, I would think in the back of my mind as a team-builder and as a team-planner what the contingency plan would be.

“I’m sure they are thinking about it. They’ll never say that. But they’d be foolish not to, because you always have to be looking ahead. You just do.”

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Nice article. Hoping Sam can pull it together and start showing signs of progress. The leash is getting shorter and shorter though as the losses start to pile up.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Few times have I seen Bradford take command and look 100% confident.

Last years game @ cardinals, he gets slammed pretty hard and had to come out for 1 play. What does he do? He goes back in and had this look in his eye. Tells everyone in the huddle something, proceeds to convert a 3rd and long and later hits Kendrick's down the middle for a TD. THAT is the Bradford I want to see all time!!

Also @ Seattle he looked in command and confident.

C'mon Sammy you have all the tools!!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Wow. This article sums up my feelings and observations pretty much perfectly. Fair and balanced writing there.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good article. Some subtle things with Bradford. A big issue I see with him is timing on his routes. If he is struggling in reading the D or taking just that extra split second finding the secondary or third receiver because he doesnt trust what he sees, the ball is late.

""In terms of fundamentals, Riddick points to a few areas where he sees Bradford struggle the most. In his eyes, Bradford still doesn’t look comfortable under center, lacks urgency in his drops and footwork and doesn’t have the feet or awareness to negotiate the pocket and find openings to deliver the ball. ""

This is key also. Having coached QBs (although not at a high level) for a couple of years this was a tough one to get them to understand. The drop has to be aggressive and precise. A lazy drop or a drop where you have to set your feet after you drop can mess the timing up on a throw also.

I always go back to baseball comparisons because that is where most of my experience is. Bradford is like a big 6' 4" 240 lb pitcher with all the measurables and a mid 90s fastball....but, he afraid he might walk someone so he ends up aiming the ball and nibbling at the corner and getting into trouble.

I appreciate Sams' ability to avoid the 20 pic season a lot of young QBs have but at some point he has to just let the ball go and attack. His issues with footwork, his drop ect should have been fixed by now. THAT sort of stuff may be the worst effect of the musical chairs at OC. Different coaches wanting different things in that part of his game.

moklerman

Warner-phile
There are so many things going on I don't think any one thing is the cause for his and the offense's struggles. But I do think his lack of trust in his receivers being where they're supposed to be...or where he thinks they'll be is a primary reason. Whether it's them just not seeing the field the same way as Bradford or running sloppy routes or missing hot reads or all of the above, I don't think Bradford's going to look smooth and comfortable until they're all on the same page.

Which is a lot to ask with most of these guys playing together for the first time. They're all in a new offense and/or new to the league so it's worth noting that 4 games is a bit early for it all to come together. I was ready for this offense to take off because Sam was finally in the same system with a full offseason but a new LT, TE, WR, RB and Givens and Pettis being elevated to more responsibility is a LOT of change and a lot of inexperience.

Too soon to chalk it all up to Bradford being a bust.

Ram_of_Old

Yup, other team fans in the office are starting to call him a bust. I will defend him and will keep his picture as my computer wallpaper until I feel he has proven he is a bust. I hope he doesn't, but time will tell.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead have done as much as possible to give Bradford the ideal conditions to succeed, to replicate the type of protection and weapons he once enjoyed on his way to the Heisman Trophy at Oklahoma.
I don't agree with this at all. Actually, couldn't disagree more.

First, going into the season without a proven running game, especially given that the entire offensive scheme proposed was critically dependendent on a strong run first attack, was irresponsible at best.

Secondly, let the kid run the Sugar huddle and let's see what he can do.

Hence, not all options have been exhausted, but our coaching staff seems stubbornly stuck in the same plan, which everyone can see is failing abysmally.

NO, Les and Jeff have NOT "done as much as possible to give Bradford the ideal conditions to succeed", nor have they made the best decisions. So, why do Jeff, Les and Kevin get a pass here?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
News Bot said:
Nick Wagoner.
Included in those traits are struggles with comfort and confidence in finding secondary targets, inability to stand tall or elude pressure in the pocket or make off-schedule plays
:hellzno:
I take issue with this. If he's referring to holding firm in the pocket and willingly taking a hit in order to get the ball out...thats crap. Sam is tough and won't shy away from contact.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I've always used Drew Brees as an example of a QB that took some time for the light bulb to go on. Bradford's had 46 starts and his last was a self-proclaimed one of his worst.

I've been disappointed with how things have transpired this year just like everyone else but I also came to realize that I placed far too much emphasis on Bradford finally being in the same system for consecutive years. Not that that isn't important but when considering it, it was sort of a given that most of the offense would have been there with him.

But the most important lineman, the LT, is new to the system. The RT is, as always, hurt. The o-line certainly hasn't gelled. There is no RB. WR1 is Givens who's not a #1 by any stretch. He's a burner who stretches the field well but according to Cosell, very unpolished in his route running. Quick? Loooooong way to go. Pettis has been pretty solid. Austin? Just a rookie going through growing pains. Cook's had a few moments but on the whole, looks like a good complimentary player if a bunch is in place but not the greatest all-around TE.

So, 4 games into this(46th start) Sam had a bad game. A 59.0 rating. Now, getting back to Brees and my late-night rationalizing, in his 53rd start, even after the proverbial light had gone on and with guys like LaDanian, Turner, Sproles, Neal, Gates, McCardell and baby Vincent Jackson with Cam Cameron at OC, Brees put up a 35.7 game.

I think a more comparable situation might be his next year in New Orleans. That team was starting over and didn't have everything in place. They had a new coach and were coming off of a 3-13 year. I still think they had more pieces to the puzzle but I digress. Brees had a 67, 59 & 63 rating game that year and 4 games where his ypa was under 6...as low as 4.13.

Maybe it all doesn't mean anything and Sam is broken or doesn't have "it" or has regressed or was never really that good to start with.

But...maybe it does mean something and just a little more patience is needed?