A big date upcoming to keep our eyes on March 16th

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On March 13th, 2016 Nick Foles 2016 salary becomes fully guaranteed! If they're going to trade or cut him it makes the most sense to do it prior to this date. Granted his 2016 base salary is just $1.75 million. But just three days after that on the 16th he is due a $6 million dollar roster bonus making March 16th D Day his cap hit if he's dealt or cut after the 16th becomes $8.75 million ($1m signing bonus as well). 2017 sees his base jump to $10.75 million with a roster bonus of $1.5m but that is voidable based on team and player performance markers. 2017 is a much easier contract to move on from as there doesn't appear to be any dates set to guarantee the amount and his bonus is low that year with the high base, a Demoff deal set up to make it easier to move on from Foles.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
True but after the Rams pay that his asking price goes up. All depends on which the team would want to pay for, not that I think we'd be able to trade him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
From what I understand, that money is already guaranteed. I know, confusing as hell, but it is.

I didn't think it was allowed to guarantee roster bonuses in future years. Guaranteeing a roster bonus in a future year is nonsensical to me in that the purpose of a roster bonus is an incentive to make or stay on the team. Guaranteeing that money removes that incentive.

Anyway, it seems that under the latest CBA, guaranteeing future years' roster bonuses IS allowed. @LACHAMP46 sorted me out on this.

Still isn't logical nor does it make even the slightest bit of sense, but it wouldn't be the first time lawyers constructed something that made no sense whatsoever. (No offense to the lawyers out there).

What it means for Nick Foles is that we are going to eat a pretty big bit of dead money if he can't rebound, so you can bet the Rams FO is going to give him a shot to redeem himself. The $6M roster bonus is essentially already spent money even if he were traded today. That would be our dead money. The only issue is his $1.75M salary this season.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
See, that's what I thought and several folks were adamant that, no, the Rams would take the cap hit. I argued for what you're saying. Exactly, actually...

I was told under this CBA that I was incorrect.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I think the rams will bite the bullet on foles dead cap hit and designate him post June first cut and save 1.75. Keenum is going to get a second Round RFA tender and will be the starter or backup. They wont giving up on Mannion yet and they will add another QB through the draft, trade, or Free Agency

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams will want to have 4 QBs going into camp - just to cover for injury if nothing else. I doubt they cut Foles before then. They could trade him IF the Philly rumors are true. We all know how Snead likes to regain picks that he's traded away.

nighttrain

Legend
On March 13th, 2016 Nick Foles 2016 salary becomes fully guaranteed! If they're going to trade or cut him it makes the most sense to do it prior to this date. Granted his 2016 base salary is just $1.75 million. But just three days after that on the 16th he is due a $6 million dollar roster bonus making March 16th D Day his cap hit if he's dealt or cut after the 16th becomes $8.75 million ($1m signing bonus as well). 2017 sees his base jump to $10.75 million with a roster bonus of $1.5m but that is voidable based on team and player performance markers. 2017 is a much easier contract to move on from as there doesn't appear to be any dates set to guarantee the amount and his bonus is low that year with the high base, a Demoff deal set up to make it easier to move on from Foles.
i personally am going to be very upset if Foles is on the roster next season, cut him today and save the dough. Rather start the season with Keenum if we have to go with what we have
train

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
As I said in another thread, Foles' money next year is effectively dead money whether we keep him or cut him. He's an awful QB and should never take another snap for the Rams. If we keep him, we keep a player who consumes a roster spot and who we have absolutely (and justifiably) have no confidence in whatsoever should he be forced into action.

It's actually better to cut him and take the cap hit, because at least that clears up a roster spot for someone we might actually want to get on the field.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I was all on the cut Foles train until I rewatched the home opener against Seattle.

He looked like a different player back then.

Not sure if he can bounce back? But he was awful after those early season games. Lost. No confidence. Late on every throw.

We won't go into the season with just Keenum, Mannion, and Foles. I can guarantee that!

Ram65

Legend
Demoff made a good contract that gave the Rams what they wanted. Fisher and Snead wanted insurance that they would gave Foles for a few years and not have to risk paying the big QB contracts around 20 Million per year if he was successful in his first year with the Rams. They Rams used some of the Bradford saving to give Foles money upfront and guaranteed money for this current NFL year. Demoff also has an easy out for the 2017 season with only 1 Million cap hit. Rams just have to suck it up this year. To bad Foles didn't play well. I doubt Foles gets traded early but maybe a QB goes down before the season then he could have value to another team. For a savings of 1.75 Million it may be wise to keep him around unless the Rams go QB in round 1 of the draft.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My wish for Nick Foles:

I'm going to Kansas City
Kansas City, here I come
I'm going to Kansas City
Kansas City, here I come
They got a crazy way of loving there
And I'm gonna get me one

jap

Legend
I was intrigued that Mad Mike, a true QB guru, saw promise in Nick. I wonder what he would have done to ensure Nick's success had he been our OC.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's no reason to cut Foles yet. The Rams are likely to want 4 QBs going into training camp, just in case. Foles looked like an acceptable backup at the very least until after that illegal hit against Green Bay. I don't know if he was rattled after that, injured or both, but he fell apart then. Maybe he can return to being a worthwhile backup. In any case, because of injury risk they aren't going to leave themselves short in the preseason. Until the Rams add two other QBs this offseason and resign Keenum, no point in ditching Foles. It won't save any money to do so now.

Now if Philly wants to give the Rams a late round pick for him, that's different, of course. Or they could have him for free if they want to pick him up before the roster bonus. I won't mind.