78' Rams question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In 1978 the Rams had two diminutive Corners in Rod Perry and Pat Thomas. Living in PA I rarely got to watch them play but they were my two favorites that year. Each of them had 8 INTs a piece. Neither was a superstar Corner in the Jerry Grey mold and neither had that same success before or after (I think). So how did they do it? I was too young to recognize the subtleties of a defense. Did they have an unfamiliar scheme that teams struggled with? Extreme pressure up front? Could we see the same result with our DBs this year?

Anyone here that can remember vividly enough to answer my question?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I joined in '79
szg.gif

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I still have my Pat Thomas autograph in my office, but I was only 6 when he signed it for me. Wish I can help

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Neither was a superstar Corner in the Jerry Grey mold and neither had that same success before or after (I think). So how did they do it? I was too young to recognize the subtleties of a defense. Did they have an unfamiliar scheme that teams struggled with? Extreme pressure up front? Could we see the same result with our DBs this year?

Anyone here that can remember vividly enough to answer my question?

Rams did have a great front four that was coming to an end, but still had Jack Youngblood, Mike Fanning, Larry Brooks and Fred Dryer. Thomas & Perry were dimnutive in size, but very fast and just were part of a great defense designed by Ray Malavasi and defensive coordinator Bud Carson. That's right the same Bud Carson that was Dick Vermeil's DC back in 1997.

Pat Thomas was the better of the two, but both of them were ball hawking corners that played great press coverage. Funny thing is both were hurt in 1979 and the Rams missed them until they got back, however, because the Rams had extra CB's on the roster it enabled to play 7 DB's at one time against the Dallas Cowboys in 1979 Playoff game in Dallas that led them to upset the Cowboys (Roger Stabauch's last game) that totally frustrated Stabauch & Tom Landry. Rams played a 4-7 with on passing downs!

BTW I was only twelve (born 1966) but I ate, drank and slept Ram football (nothings really changed) relatives knew for Birthday's & Christmas football magazines or subscriptions was WTG for me, but back to you inquiry, Thomas & Perry were short, but very fast and the Ram scheme allowed them to play in the face of the WR's which played to their strength.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Weren't many huge recs. back then either,even the rec tight ends rarely went over 230

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
den is right fast & quick......but the real thing was the other players not mentioned by den. Take a look @ the starting LB'ers & the other starting DB's .....wow!

OLB- Jim Youngblood
MLB- Jack Reynolds
OLB- Isiah Robertson

SS-Dave Elmendorf
FS- Nolan Cromwell
Nickle-Bill Simpson

Those reserve CB's were Dwayne O'steen, Jackie Wallace & Eddie Brown

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Take a look @ the starting LB'ers & the other starting DB's .....wow!

OLB- Jim Youngblood
MLB- Jack Reynolds
OLB- Isiah Robertson

SS-Dave Elmendorf
FS- Nolan Cromwell
Nickle-Bill Simpson

Those reserve CB's were Dwayne O'steen, Jackie Wallace & Eddie Brown

Great Linebackers that's for sure and Simpson was on his last legs that was his last year with the Rams because of Cromwell. Also Wallace & Brown were Safties, however, they were very fast and if my memory serves me correctly Dwayne O'Steen could not cover a bed although he had 4 int's in 1979 O'Steen was burned quite often and I remember a game against San Diego in 79 where they kept throwing his way and he could not stop them.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Great Linebackers that's for sure and Simpson was on his last legs that was his last year with the Rams because of Cromwell. Also Wallace & Brown were Safties, however, they were very fast and if my memory serves me correctly Dwayne O'Steen could not cover a bed although he had 4 int's in 1979 O'Steen was burned quite often and I remember a game against San Diego in 79 where they kept throwing his way and he could not stop them.

Seems like I recall that Nolan Cromwell played CB for a few games too do you recall that?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Seems like I recall that Nolan Cromwell played CB for a few games too do you recall that?

Think you're right in 79 they had so many injuries and Cromwell could play anywhere funny that they fired George Allen in 1978 after two pre-season games...Could you imagine a team firing their Head Coach today after two pre-season games? Especially a hall of fame coach?

The only thing that bothered me about the firing of Allen is the guy I wanted the Rams to hire back then who almost got the gig was the Head Coach of Stanford Bill Walsh and you know the rest of the story.