6 takeaways from the Rams' 30-29 loss in Seattle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
gettyimages-1178860940.jpg

By: Steve Rebeiro | 18 minutes ago

The Los Angeles Rams suffered a heart-breaking defeat at the hands of division-rival Seattle Thursday night. When the game is decided by one point, the mistakes sting a bit deeper. Here are six takeaways, both positive and negative, from the Rams’ gut-wrenching Week 5 loss to the Seahawks.

Mistakes, Mistakes, Mistakes

The Rams ended the game by missing a 44-yard field goal. It’s a kick that Greg Zuerlein almost always makes. It was the icing on the cake for a game marred by Rams mistakes.
The good news is that the Rams played much better this week than they did against Tampa Bay in Week 4. The bad news is that they still lost the game, and are currently in third place in a tough division. Worst of all, the loss could have easily been avoided if not for a handful of crucial mistakes.
Missed tackles were a major factor in Seattle’s offensive success. Chris Carson and Russell Wilson were bouncing off tacklers all game. It felt like anytime a Seattle runner took off he’d break a tackle or two. Pee-wee football coaches everywhere watching this game were losing their minds about tackling form and wrapping up.
There were dropped passes, including Gerald Everett’s that resulted in an interception. There were plenty of missed throws from Goff. There were missed blocks by the offensive lineman and a few crucial mental errors to boot. Clay Matthews was called for roughing the passer late in the game, albeit a very questionable roughing the passer call. Brian Allen forgot to snap the ball with 20 seconds remaining in the football game. Even Todd Gurley fumbled for the first time in roughly 20 games.

Clean up a few crucial mistakes and this game doesn’t comedown to a last-second field goal. The Rams should have walked out of Seattle with a fourth straight victory against the Seahawks. That only makes the loss tougher to swallow.

McVay moves away from Gurley/Brown split
Through the first four games of the season, the Rams substitute Gurley for Malcolm Brown on a few drives each game. McVay opted to give each running back full drives rather than swap Gurley out for Brown mid-drive.

That wasn’t the case on Thursday night. For the first time all year, Gurley trotted onto the field for the first play of every single drive, and he barely came out. Brown received just one carry on the day.

It remains clear if this strategy will continue moving forward, but in Week 5 the Rams were not concerned with conserving Todd Gurley. He played nearly the entire game. Even though his touches and yards are down overall, Gurley has continued to show a knack for finding the end zone when given red zone touches, and scored two more touchdowns against Seattle.

The Rams offense was better as a result of keeping Gurley on the field. We’ll see if McVay is willing to stick with it against San Francisco next week.

Pass rush pressures Wilson, but can’t close the deal
Aaron Donald and the Rams pass rush were in Russell Wilson’s face all game long. Somehow, they only came away with one sack.

The Rams pass rush did a solid job of getting Wilson out of the pocket all night. Unfortunately, they were chasing after Russell Wilson. The six-time Pro Bowler had one hell of a game against the Rams, and some of his best throws came from outside the pocket. He went 17 for 23 with 268 yards, four touchdowns, and no turnovers. He added 32 rushing yards on eight carries.

Both the Rams and Wilson deserve credit for the lack of sacks. The Rams could not wrap up and bring down Wilson whatsoever. If somebody told me that Wilson doused his jersey in crisco oil before the game, I might actually believe them. That’s how insane some of Wilson’s missed tackles were. Credit goes to Wilson for evading pressure and looking phenomenal when rolling out of the pocket, but the Rams need to finish on these tackles. They should not be coming out of this game with one sack.

Gerald Everett’s career day marred by crucial mistake
Gerald Everett had one hell of a game on Thursday Night Football. The third-year tight end shattered just about every one of his career highs. He finished the night with seven receptions for 136 yards on 11 targets. All three are career highs. Everett should have added a touchdown to his stat-line, but was called down on the one yard line and the Rams chose not to challenge it. He looked unstoppable running the football after the catch.

Unfortunately for Everett and the Rams, he dropped a pass at the worst possible time. With just over 2:00 remaining in the fourth quarter, Goff tossed a perfect pass to Everett over the middle for a first down. The ball went right through Everett’s hands. Somehow, Seattle safety Tedric Thompson was able to get his hands on the tipped ball and corral it for an interception.

The play almost the Rams the football game. Luckily, the defense was able to produce a three-and-out, and Everett had a shot at redemption. He recorded three receptions for 46 yards on the final drive of the game. Had Zuerlein made the game-winning field goal, Everett’s game would have been remembered for one of perseverance. With the loss, the dropped pass stings a bit more.

Goff not perfect, but trending in the right direction
It was an up-and-down game for Jared Goff on Thursday night. He made some miraculous throws against the Seahawks and he missed some that he’d certainly like to have back. This season, the misses outweighed the hits. Tonight, it felt like the opposite.

Goff didn’t have the best game of his career, but it’s hard to walk away feeling anything but positive when it comes to the fourth-year quarterback. Goff never backed down when things didn’t go right and fought to the very last breathe. He made strike after strike on the final drive to give the Rams a shot at a victory. When the offensive line got flagged for mental mistakes, Goff rebounded to keep those respective drives alive.

Rams fans will never have to worry about Goff not trying. Through the good and the bad, this guy has given it everything he’s got this season. The loss against Seattle was a step in the right direction for Goff. Let’s hope he takes another in a victory next Sunday.

It’s going to be a stressful season
The 2019 Los Angeles Rams are a good football team. As of October 4th, they are not a great football team. This is a team that should be playing come January. But it might not be as much of a cake-walk to the playoffs as it was last season.

The NFC West is as tough as it’s been in years. Seattle is still Seattle, and the 49ers are currently undefeated and will be a factor in this division. The Rams are going to have their hands full with two of their three division rivals. With the way they are currently playing, even Arizona doesn’t feel like a walk in the park.

Still, this is a team loaded with talent and a front office who hasn’t been afraid to make trades to improve the team mid-season. They should figure this thing out. They were on the verge of it against Seattle. The Rams have proven that they’re still a good team. But if they want to return to the greatness they achieved last year, they’ve got a lot of work to do.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams lose after delay of game penalty, Greg Zuerlein missed field goal

October 3, 2019
by Larry Brown

Rams logo

The Los Angeles Rams had a good chance to win their game on Thursday night against the Seattle Seahawks, but two bad plays on their final drive hurt them.

The Rams were down 30-29 and got the ball back at their 7 with 1:38 left. They drove into Seahawks territory and had the ball at their opponent’s 30 with 28 seconds left. They threw two incompletions, and then inexplicably took a delay of game penalty to move them back to the 35. Jared Goff seemed to be calling for the snap as time was running down but did not receive it, possibly because of the stadium noise.

The Rams gained nine yards on third down to get to the 26 and still should have made their kick, but Greg Zuerlein pushed it.

Russell Wilson was emotional in his postgame interview, attributing the miss to some magic from late owner Paul Allen.

Zuerlein has so much goodwill from his field goals that sent the Rams to the Super Bowl that Rams fans really won’t be too angry with him, but that’s a kick he should make.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Clay Matthews called for garbage roughing-the-passer penalty
Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports | By Larry Brown | Last updated 10/3/19

The NFL may have softened its roughing-the-passer penalty calls, but the officials still got Clay Matthews for a big one on Thursday night.

Seattle had a 1st-and-10 at the Los Angeles Rams 40 with under six minutes to go while trailing 29-24. Russell Wilson threw an incomplete pass but was hit by Matthews in the shoulder just as he had released the ball.

Matthews was flagged for roughing the passer, giving the Seahawks 1st-and-10 at the 25. The penalty instantly put the Seahawks in field-goal range and got them close to the red zone. They later capitalized on 4th-and-goal with a touchdown pass from Wilson to Chris Carson to take a 30-29 lead.
Matthews was flagged for roughing-the-passer penalties so frequently last season that he called the NFL “soft” and reportedly contemplated his NFL future.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Defense gives up 85 in two weeks. Not bad if you're playing the 99 Rams and the 49ers in the 80's
Constantly out of position and poor tackling
4th and 5 is a low percentage conversion, but all it took was a lollipop toss to a wide open receiver
That's the biggest takeaway that can't be ignored
They better soon figure out how to play together or it will be a lost season
Goff showed her can deliver in crunch time
Gurley coughed up a crucial fumble that seemed to be forgotten
Terrible roughing the passer call that makes the game hard to watch anymore

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Seahawks were wide open way too often. So many missed tackles. Can we see some of the coaches start to get into these players' asses or are they just going to keep accepting the blame and giving us the "it starts with me" speeches?

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Good thing we kept Reeder and put Allen on the practice squad. Great decision.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Defense gives up 85 in two weeks. Not bad if you're playing the 99 Rams and the 49ers in the 80's
Constantly out of position and poor tackling
4th and 5 is a low percentage conversion, but all it took was a lollipop toss to a wide open receiver
That's the biggest takeaway that can't be ignored
They better soon figure out how to play together or it will be a lost season
Goff showed he can deliver in crunch time
Gurley coughed up a crucial fumble that seemed to be forgotten

Alll true, but the above is the worst for me...lost a lot of joy (before this game)....but it just keeps getting worse and fake (via refs "timely" calls).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From the bit I watched we had chances to win and our mistakes cost us.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Seahawks were wide open way too often. So many missed tackles. Can we see some of the coaches start to get into these players' asses or are they just going to keep accepting the blame and giving us the "it starts with me" speeches?

I just don't get our secondary the last two weeks, given what we saw the previous two weeks. Against the Saints and the Browns - both teams with good WR groups - there was absolutely nowhere to throw. Our coverage was stunningly good in those games.

Against the Bucs and the Seachickens, with lesser WR groups, they looked like they couldn't cover a girl scout football team. What gives?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good thing we kept Reeder and put Allen on the practice squad. Great decision.

IDK, I thought Reeder played okay, he had very good coverage and it took a perfect throw to the TE and rarely missed a tackle, however, Reeder has no pop, whereas Allen did, but nothing the Rams can do now because Allen is a Raider.

IMO, they kept Reeder over Allen because of special teams and sometimes that's a mistake.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Against the Bucs and the Seachickens, with lesser WR groups, they looked like they couldn't cover a girl scout football team. What gives?

I got so damn mad at that soft ass coverage, I turned the game off and went to bed after they scored their first touchdown. Is it that the Rams DBs are just not that good or is it the scheme Wade has got them playing. In the last two games the Rams are just letting the receivers catch the ball in front of them and then tackling them. I for one am sick of this shit. If this does not get fixed I don't look for Wade to be around next season.

TexasRam

Legend
IDK, I thought Reeder played okay, he had very good coverage and it took a perfect throw to the TE and rarely missed a tackle, however, Reeder has no pop, whereas Allen did, but nothing the Rams can do now because Allen is a Raider.

IMO, they kept Reeder over Allen because of special teams and sometimes that's a mistake.

The bigger problem with Reeder is they used him as the spy on Wilson and i don’t know if Wade is losing his mind but that is a free first down for Wilson every time. Wilson at least 3 times ran for a first down once Reeder was the lone man in the middle. easy money. Reeder also missed tackles in the backfield in Carson.

Dakota allen would have shut down Wilson and blown these running plays up. It’s coaching staff getting too cute again. just like they are with Natson and Demby.

It’s starting to add up.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My takeaway after watching Seattle play is still that they are a 4 win team without Wilson. He is the NFL MVP in the literal definition.

I work with a Seahawk die hard and he doesn't disagree with me on that.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
My takeaway after watching Seattle play is still that they are a 4 win team without Wilson. He is the NFL MVP in the literal definition.

I work with a Seahawk die hard and he doesn't disagree with me on that.
Yeah their defense is actually garbage and without the Gurley fumble and Everett drop we score on nearly every drive starting from the middle of second quarter.

Any other QB with that Oline and we sack him 5 times.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah their defense is actually garbage and without the Gurley fumble and Everett drop we score on nearly every drive starting from the middle of second quarter.

Any other QB with that Oline and we sack him 5 times.
Yeah i mean they've got a few standout players on D and Carroll is a good HC but other than Lockett there's just nothing special there offensively or on ST's. Same thing as last season. If Seattle was a generator Wilson is the gas.

Brady comes up often in this conversation but Belichick once won 11 games w/out Brady and NE has a better roster top to bottom over Seattle.

IMO Belichick still gets 8 or 9 wins out of a Brady"less" team right now. Seattle would be awful w/out Wilson.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it has more to do with the defensive line rush than the secondary group. Against the Bucs, Winston had all day to throw and he picked our secondary apart. And Russell Wilson is Russell Wilson. He just had a great game avoiding the Rams rush and extending plays.

The longer a play goes on, the harder it is for any secondary to maintain coverage. We can fix this by increasing pressure on opposing QBs. At least that's how I see it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think it has more to do with the defensive line rush than the secondary group. Against the Bucs, Winston had all day to throw and he picked our secondary apart. And Russell Wilson is Russell Wilson. He just had a great game avoiding the Rams rush and extending plays.

The longer a play goes on, the harder it is for any secondary to maintain coverage. We can fix this by increasing pressure on opposing QBs. At least that's how I see it.

Yeah, I think that definitely plays into it.