50 years ago today ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DeaconJones

Rookie
Oct 3 1971, I saw my first (and only) Rams game, at the Coliseum. I was visiting from Canada. I became an instant and life-long Rams fan that day.

Rams 17 Bears 3

My Uncle, who took me, bought me a bumper sticker. I guess QB Roman Gabriel #18 was under fire at that time. The sticker said SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL QUARTERBACK 18. BYE BYE BOO BIRDS.

Hopefully a good omen for today's game against AZ.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
That is a nice first game.

Rams had 263 yards rushing. Held Chicago to just 113 net yards; and the Defense had four interceptions, including one each for rookies Isaiah Robertson and Dave Elmendorf.

Jack Youngblood was also a rookie on that '71 team. Believe, Youngblood, Robertson and Elmendorf were the first three Rams' selections in the 1971 Draft.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Jack Youngblood was also a rookie on that '71 team. Believe, Youngblood, Robertson and Elmendorf were the first three Rams' selections in the 1971 Draft.

Tommy Prothro couldn't coach worth a damn, but good lord he knew how to draft good players.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Tommy Prothro couldn't coach worth a damn, but good lord he knew how to draft good players.

Agreed Prothro was an excellent evaluator of talent and because of the success of Knox's Rams, Prothro got another gig as Head Coach of he San Diego Chargers But again, his best year in San Diego was 7-7 in 1977.

Funny thing is I just felt the Chargers always hired former Ram Head Coaches, first Sid Gillman, followed by Harland Svare then Tommy Prothro.
1633278903298.png

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
That is a nice first game.

Rams had 263 yards rushing. Held Chicago to just 113 net yards; and the Defense had four interceptions, including one each for rookies Isaiah Robertson and Dave Elmendorf.

Allen2McVay,
Actually Isaiah Robertson was taken before Jack Youngblood in that draft and what a tremendous draft it was. It actually built the framework of a tough and tenacious Rams defense for years to come.

~ArkyRamsFan~

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I was 7 years old and our neighbor and friend of my father bet me .10 cents the Rams couldn't beat the Bears. I collected with pride

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Agreed Prothro was an excellent evaluator of talent and because of the success of Knox's Rams, Prothro got another gig as Head Coach of he San Diego Chargers But again, his best year in San Diego was 7-7 in 1977.

Exactly. He left the cupboards very full when Knox took over in 1973, and he did the same for Coryell when he took over the Chargers in 1978.

RamsFan4Life

Starter
Oct 3 1971, I saw my first (and only) Rams game, at the Coliseum. I was visiting from Canada. I became an instant and life-long Rams fan that day.

Rams 17 Bears 3

My Uncle, who took me, bought me a bumper sticker. I guess QB Roman Gabriel #18 was under fire at that time. The sticker said SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL QUARTERBACK 18. BYE BYE BOO BIRDS.

I was there. I was almost 13 and the guy my grandma worked for got season tickets for everybody……Rams, Dodgers, Lakers…..and gave tickets to my Gma all the time. My best friends big brother got permission to take us that year. He was 17 and our idol. I think we went to 4 or 5 games that year.

had to go for Bears cuz Dick Butkus

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Rams 17 Bears 3

Thanks for the cool story Bro. And congrats on your 50yr anniversary. Awesome memories for you I'm sure
I'm right behind you at 46yr Ram fan from North Carolina.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for posting this here. I like reading stories like that!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Funny thing is I just felt the Chargers always hired former Ram Head Coaches, first Sid Gillman, followed by Harland Svare then Tommy Prothro.
Players too ... via trade and and picked-up after leaving the Rams ... Deacon Jones, Coy Bacon, Leroy Jones, Pat Curran, Bob Klein, Bob Thomas, Jewerl Thomas and James Harris.