5 WRs I Personally like for the Rams: Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
DeAndre Hopkins - Clemson - A smooth crisp route runner that has deep field speed and arguably the best hands in the NFL draft this year. Hopkins was once over shadowed by fellow Clemson WR Sammy Watkins but as Watkins would get hurt in games, Hopkins production would not only remain, it would increase. Hopkins is one of the few WRs in this draft that I would be absolutely fine with taking in round 1 (#22 preferably)

Da'Rick Rogers - Tennessee Tech - A player that was once troubled but IMO now seems like a good kid who is truly sorry for his mistakes. On the field Rogers is quick and physical with solid hands. A very tough WR who comes off to me as Anquan Boldin like. Rogers has shown he can play against tough competition (former All-SEC WR) and while I would probably not take a chance on him in round 1 because of past character issues (which I think he is done with), I would be very happy to take him in round 2 (if his stock rises) and I would be ecstatic to steal him in round 3 if Rogers is still around. 1st round talent IMO.

Markus Wheaton - Oregon State - Wheaton had an excellent senior season and I like this kids game. Watching tape of him he reminds me of Torry Holt a bit, his get off on the LOS, his already polished route running, etc. Wheaton is a track speed sprinter like Chris Givens and could be another toy for Sam Bradford to share his terrific deep ball with. Wheaton will participate in the Senior Bowl, which will be a good opportunity for him to improve his draft stock further. I would be satisfied if we were able to draft Wheaton in round 2/3 range.

Keenan Allen - California - Allen was held back all year by sub-par quarterback play from his brother Zach Maynard, but Allen managed to illustrate that he is a good player. I was a big Keenan Allen mark for a while yet I have cooled down a bit recently, but I still like his talent. Allen has shown in college that he is very good at crossing routes, has terrific hands that attack the ball, and is great with YAC. His lack of deep field catches concern me a bit but as I said his QB was meh. Allen may not be a burner but he does have the speed and definitely the athleticism to run deeper routes. A versatile player who can play all over the field (flanker, slot, PR). I would be OK if we drafted Allen in round 1. Like I said I have some questions but I see the ability.

Stedman Bailey - West Virginia - I know what some of you are thinking, "this guy is a slot WR in the NFL"....Well I have decided that I believe he can play the outside with success. Bailey may be 5'9/5'10 but he has been playing on the outside in college and has obviously done so with success. He was one of the most productive WRs in the nation. Playing with Tavon Austin helps, but Bailey has made plenty of plays on his own. Bailey is very Steve Smith (Panthers outside WR) like to me, a shorter WR but has the deep field speed and physical body to take on outside. An excellent route runner who has great hands. I would be happy if the Rams drafted Bailey in the round 2/3 range.

Other WRs that are on my radar but not necessarily my favorites: Justin Hunter, Terrance Williams.

For my reasons WRs: Cordarrelle Patterson - I see the talent but too raw for me right now...I would not take a chance... Tavon Austin - Great slot WR! Best in the draft!.... But I am assuming and wanting to retain Amendola, an already proven great slot WR.

Not a fan of this guy. Dont like the tape, don't buy the hype : Robert Woods

wolfman84

Rookie
I think Tavon Austin wouldn't be a bad pick up even with Amendola resigned. He would improve our return game and help keep Danny healthy by not needing DA to return punts. You can throw (or Tavon's case, hide) him in the backfield or outside and the defense has to account for him. Although not an every down guy, he does provide depth at the slot in case Amendola gets hurt, can stretch the defense in case Givens gets hurt, and can be the occasional change of pace back if Richardson gets hurt. The question for me is wether he's a reach at 22 or not. To me he falls in the 28+ range. Maybe with a trade back for an extra 3rd round pick.

nighttrain

Legend
biggame1190 said:
DeAndre Hopkins - Clemson - A smooth crisp route runner that has deep field speed and arguably the best hands in the NFL draft this year. Hopkins was once over shadowed by fellow Clemson WR Sammy Watkins but as Watkins would get hurt in games, Hopkins production would not only remain, it would increase. Hopkins is one of the few WRs in this draft that I would be absolutely fine with taking in round 1 (#22 preferably)

Da'Rick Rogers - Tennessee Tech - A player that was once troubled but IMO now seems like a good kid who is truly sorry for his mistakes. On the field Rogers is quick and physical with solid hands. A very tough WR who comes off to me as Anquan Boldin like. Rogers has shown he can play against tough competition (former All-SEC WR) and while I would probably not take a chance on him in round 1 because of past character issues (which I think he is done with), I would be very happy to take him in round 2 (if his stock rises) and I would be ecstatic to steal him in round 3 if Rogers is still around. 1st round talent IMO.

Markus Wheaton - Oregon State - Wheaton had an excellent senior season and I like this kids game. Watching tape of him he reminds me of Torry Holt a bit, his get off on the LOS, his already polished route running, etc. Wheaton is a track speed sprinter like Chris Givens and could be another toy for Sam Bradford to share his terrific deep ball with. Wheaton will participate in the Senior Bowl, which will be a good opportunity for him to improve his draft stock further. I would be satisfied if we were able to draft Wheaton in round 2/3 range.

Keenan Allen - California - Allen was held back all year by sub-par quarterback play from his brother Zach Maynard, but Allen managed to illustrate that he is a good player. I was a big Keenan Allen mark for a while yet I have cooled down a bit recently, but I still like his talent. Allen has shown in college that he is very good at crossing routes, has terrific hand that attack the ball, and is great with YAC. His lack of deep field catches concern me a bit but as I said his QB was meh. Allen may not be a burner but he does have the speed and definitely the athleticism to run deeper routes. A versatile player who can play all over the field (flanker, slot, PR). I would be OK if we drafted Allen in round 1. Like I said I have some questions but I see the ability.

Stedman Bailey - West Virginia - I know what some of you are thinking, "this guy is a slot WR in the NFL"....Well I have decided that I believe he can play the outside with success. Bailey may be 5'9/5'10 but he has been playing on the outside in college and has obviously done so with success, he was one of the most productive WRs in the nation. Playing with Tavon Austin helps, but Bailey has made plenty of plays on his own. Bailey is very Steve Smith (Panthers outside WR) like to me, a shorter WR but has the deep field speed and physical body to take on outside. An excellent route runner who has great hands. I would be happy if the Rams drafted Bailey in the round 2/3 range.

Other WRs that are on my radar but not necessarily my favorites: Justin Hunter, Terrance Williams.

For my reasons WRs: Cordarrelle Patterson - I see the talent but too raw for me right now...I would not take a chance... Tavon Austin - Great slot WR! Best in the draft!.... But I am assuming and wanting to retain Amendola, an already proven great slot WR.

Not a fan of this guy. Dont like the tape, don't buy the hype : Robert Woods

depending on where they are drafted, any of these players, including Woods, could/might be worth the pick. With all Rookies, you just dont know, at least usually, until they play against pro defenses..
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nighttrain said:
Depending on where they are drafted, any of these players, including Woods, could/might be worth the pick. With all Rookies, you just dont know, at least usually, until they play against pro defenses..
train

Yes. You could say that about most positions, but particularly WR and QB.

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
nighttrain said:
Depending on where they are drafted, any of these players, including Woods, could/might be worth the pick. With all Rookies, you just dont know, at least usually, until they play against pro defenses..
train

Yes. You could say that about most positions, but particularly WR and QB.

most assuredly and particularly WR and QB
train

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well I said before, you're gonna have to cut somebody to make room. And it's either Gibby/Pettis (Smith is a gonner regardless).

Another rookie at a spot where it needs major help now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think, if he's there, Keenan Allen will go to the Rams in the first.

I also think; Smith and Gibson are gone.

The final roster spot will go to a vet or another draft pick if one falls to the Rams they like. Radway was looking strong with the Cowboys before breaking his leg and could be a factor.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When considering value, my NFL projection and how quickly they will impact the Rams, these are the WRs IN ORDER that I want the Rams to take at this stage:
1. Terrance Williams
2. Tavon Austin
3. Markus Wheaton
4. Stedman Bailey
5. Da'Rick Rogers/Keenan Allen

WR is my best position when it comes to talent evaluation. Have a very strong track record. It's not at all surprising that Wheaton and TW have been getting rave reviews at the Senior Bowl, I've been talking these guys up for awhile now. LOVE watching Austin play. I really like Bailey's attitude and demeanor on the field...reminds me of Steve Smith...plus he's an excellent route runner.

I'd have Rogers alone at #5 if we were talking talent but I'm really worried about his attitude and ego so I couldn't really decide between him and Allen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The WR class has very mixed opinions. Here is Mel Kiper's ranking;

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft201 ... y-position

ScreenShot2013-01-22at85017PM_zps0d8c214a.png

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sure like the way Patterson moves once he gets the ball. I know - potential project. I'll leave that up to the guys who watch endless tape and go to the games. But for me? He's the only WR right now that I'd be honestly excited about taking.

While I really like the idea of playmakers, I think there are other positions that would make a more consistent improvement in our offense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm a huge fan of Da'Rick Rogers. When I look at his tape, I see someone who plays like Andre Johnson. He's fast for his size, catches literally everything in sight, and has a wide target area. He's a first round talent, but he has character issues. I'm not too concerned about the latter, though; Fisher's shown that he can handle guys who've had issues in the past. If he's taken a chance on Janoris Jenkins, I can't imagine that he'd pass on Rogers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RamFan503 said:
Sure like the way Patterson moves once he gets the ball. I know - potential project. I'll leave that up to the guys who watch endless tape and go to the games. But for me? He's the only WR right now that I'd be honestly excited about taking.

While I really like the idea of playmakers, I think there are other positions that would make a more consistent improvement in our offense.

Trust me, check out Tavon Austin. As sick as Patterson is, Austin is sicker. Faster and a better runner with the ball in his hands. This is one of the most dominant performances that I've ever seen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxzPryPMB74

Made Tony Jefferson look bad numerous times in this game. And ran away from Julian Wilson on that long TD run...Wilson reportedly has 4.3 speed. Extremely fast with some absolutely crazy moves.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
jrry32 said:
RamFan503 said:

Trust me, check out Tavon Austin. As sick as Patterson is, Austin is sicker. Faster and a better runner with the ball in his hands. This is one of the most dominant performances that I've ever seen:

Made Tony Jefferson look bad numerous times in this game. And ran away from Julian Wilson on that long TD run...Wilson reportedly has 4.3 speed. Extremely fast with some absolutely crazy moves.

jrry I was impressed with Austin when I saw him play against Texas.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
GreeneCounty said:
jrry32 said:
RamFan503 said:

He's so much fun to watch. Been impressed with him in every game I saw of his except the Bowl game against Syracuse but imo that was because Holgorsen utilized him terribly.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
jrry32 said:
GreeneCounty said:
jrry32 said:
RamFan503 said:

He's so much fun to watch. Been impressed with him in every game I saw of his except the Bowl game against Syracuse but imo that was because Holgorsen utilized him terribly.

I thought WVU used a lot of there offensive talent bad this year.

F. Mulder

Starter
It really seems like there are anywhere between 5-7 WRs somewhat bunched in relative close location. I have, and will continue to, beaten the drum for at least one new WR and am thinking more and more they go that route via the drafts vs FA. Obviously it goes to where and how the Rams rank these WRs regarding value and availability.

Can any of the draftniks (or anyone who knows) talk a little about Patton, Dobson, and Wheaton and where they project?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ooh I'm excited.

Okay; draft Austin and Allen. :lol:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2