5 underrated free agents to watch in NFL free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
5 underrated free agents to watch in NFL free agency

Everyone is talking about Tom Brady, Jadeveon Clowney, and Byron Jones heading into NFL free agency, but the underrated signings are sometimes just as important.

Some guys are going to be signed that not many people talk about, and that could be the difference in teams making the playoffs or being one of the first picks in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Let’s break down five underrated free agents to watch heading into free agency.

5. Marcus Mariota

Marcus Mariota is a big name, but he is underrated in terms of free agents this offseason. All the talk is about Phillip Rivers and Tom Brady, but the better long-term option very well could be Mariota.

There is no doubt he was a disappointment with the Tennessee Titans, but maybe a change in scenery is all he needs.

He could potentially be a great fit with the Chicago Bears with Matt Nagy calling the plays.

4. Devin Funchess

Devin Funchess broke his collarbone during Week 1 for the Indianapolis Colts, which was a big disappointment.

Funchess probably isn’t a number one receiver on many teams, but this is a guy who can come in a be a true number two.

This is a guy who will come in and quietly be an impact player for whatever team brings him in in NFL free agency.

3. Mackensie Alexander

Mackensie Alexander was often overshadowed by Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes, but there could be an argument made that he was the Minnesota Vikings’ best cornerback during the 2019 season.

He mostly covered the slot and did it at a high level. Pro Football Focus gave him a ranking of 65.7 for the last season.

Alexander should be highly sought after during free agency if the Vikings can’t agree to a long term deal.

2. Tyler Eifert

When Tyler Eifert is on the field he is a solid tight end, but the biggest issue is keeping him on the field.

He has dealt with all kinds of injuries during his career, but in 2019, he appeared in all 16 games. He caught 43 passes for 436 yards and three touchdowns.

Some team that needs a tight end is going to get a great deal by bringing in Eifert.

1. Greg Zuerlein

Greg Zuerlein is a big-name player, but he’s still underrated since he’s a kicker. Zuerlein wasn’t as consistent during the 2019 NFL season, but he still has one of the biggest legs in all of football.

Having a kicker is ultra important, and he still has a great career ahead of him with either the Los Angeles Rams or someone else.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I find Greg the Leg laughable, especially in today’s NFL. To beat a team like KC your not kicking field goals.
The thing is is he has a bad injury issue & that can damage a team more than the extra yards he gives you during the season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I find Greg the Leg laughable, especially in today’s NFL. To beat a team like KC your not kicking field goals.
The thing is is he has a bad injury issue & that can damage a team more than the extra yards he gives you during the season.

I don’t know... we might be a little spoiled having long term kickers like Wilkins and Zuerlein around here for so many years.

I gringe the thought of recycling kickers. Losing a game - or more - for a silly miss.

It seems like there were 5 teams or so this year that just kept throwing kicker after kicker at the problem.

Sign GZ, Rams. Please. One less hole.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don’t know... we might be a little spoiled having long term kickers like Wilkins and Zuerlein around here for so many years.

I gringe the thought of recycling kickers. Losing a game - or more - for a silly miss.

It seems like there were 5 teams or so this year that just kept throwing kicker after kicker at the problem.

You can add Brown to that list. Zuerlein is the only Les Snead knows as a kicker sort
speak. The sort of speak is finding a kicker to replace him on the run,especially during the playoffs.
He cost The Rams from going 8-8, and myself a lot of money. When you have a kicker that is going to break the old time scoring record you can’t really complain much, but then the injury.
His back issues have been a concern as well. He has been limited in training camp for years .

Last edited:

KJD_Ram

Rookie
just keep him out of the 40-49 yard range.....take a sack if you have too, maybe even a delay of game or two...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

At this point, I'm fine signing him if we can create cap room in other ways..

But he had arguably the worst FG performance in the NFL last year. He had the 7th most attempts and was 28/33 for qualified kickers in FG %. On top of that, he directly lost us one game - indirectly may have lost another (Steelers), and possibly even one more (Niners) game.

The only kicker that looks worse was Maher for the Cowboys, who got cut. The others that had worse % were Bryant and Vinatieri who will both retire, Ficken who isn't an NFL kicker, Maher who got cut and Aldrick Rosas who seems in a similar boat to GZ, although only kicked 17 FGs and plays for a bad team.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Time to get younger and cheaper at kicker. GZ is in decline IMO. I have always loved his range and he has special place in this fans' history for making those clutch kicks against the Saints in the NFC championship but with his increasing incontinency and the teams limited cap space I think it may be time to reallocate the resources. The Rams should be diligently searching for the next GZ from the undrafted FA ranks. Unfortunately the Rams will not have Bones to help with the scouting this time.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I really do not understand all the angst about re-signing Zuerlein from a financial point of view. Kickers don't make a ton of money, it's not like you are solving some salary cap problem by replacing him. He was the 19th highest paid kicker last year making $2.25 million. 19th! Who cares how old he is, kickers and punters can play well into their thirties, the good ones do.

If his health, back issues, whatever, prevent him from playing a full season, then yeah, there is a reason to consider replacing him. But from a salary standpoint, no there isn't.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
You can add Brown to that list. Zuerlein is the only Les Snead knows as a kicker sort
speak. The sort of speak is finding a kicker to replace him on the run,especially during the playoffs.
He cost The Rams from going 8-8, and myself a lot of money. When you have a kicker that is going to break the old time scoring record you can’t really complain much, but then the injury.
His back issues have been a concern as well. He has been limited in training camp for years .
What? Snead started out back in 95 as a talent scout. Snead has worked with and seen many kickers during his time.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Utah St. Kicker Dominik Eberle as a 6'th round draft pick ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What? Snead started out back in 95 as a talent scout. Snead has worked with and seen many kickers during his time.

When Les Snead first became GM, The Rams cut Brown & let Jones walk as well. My point being he is not afraid to start fresh!!

If you look back at when Greg the Leg was a free agent, The Rams took there sweet old time to resign him. There has been question marks about his health & his worth. I personally think the writing is on the locker room wall that his locker is open.
I look at some of his great kicks & some of his bad kicks. He was automatic,until he wasn’t. I don’t see Zuerlein being a great kicker, but I wish him luck somewhere else.

I do find it funny he is number one on the list & The Rams really don’t need any of the other 4 players as well.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Wow! Has everyone forgotten how badly we wanted GZ back in action after he was injured and out for a while?
I can't even remember some of the names we had kicking for us....but they were bad. Really bad.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
GZ has had a down season before and bounced back. He has a lot of movement on his ball, probably a technique type correction idk.

Ram65

Legend
Career stats
YearTeamFG ATTFGMPCTCOMBAST
UyYc_V_6Vabrvr7ous98_A_28x21.png

Rams
332472.7--

Rams

Rams
403895.0--

Rams

Rams

Rams

Rams

Rams
Career24520182.081

Ram65

Legend
I think it was in 2017 he started kicking with a consistent slight fade end over end. When he came into the league he just kicked the ball as hard as he could. The ball moved in different directions sometimes like a knuckleball. I think he needs to get back to end over end slight fade on a regular base.

He ranks #37 all time on FG%

I give him a little higher rating because of all the long FG attempts. At this point, health is a concern. I wouldn't go for more than two years and might just do one year. I expect a bounce-back year and would hate to find a new kicker. He also kicks a lot of deep KOs.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I could go either way with GZ. After the 2012 Miami game, I was convinced he was going to shatter the longest FG record during his career. He gets spooked on those 40-49 yard tries that should be automatic with his range. He has all the ability, but his mental approach is lacking. You can see it on his face when he’s nervous. Add the injury concerns and you make the case for a new kicker. I’d give up the 50+ range for consistency from 30-50 yards.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I could go either way with GZ. After the 2012 Miami game, I was convinced he was going to shatter the longest FG record during his career. He gets spooked on those 40-49 yard tries that should be automatic with his range. He has all the ability, but his mental approach is lacking. You can see it on his face when he’s nervous. Add the injury concerns and you make the case for a new kicker. I’d give up the 50+ range for consistency from 30-50 yards.
Imo, if his mental approach was/is lacking, we never get to the SB two seasons ago.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I’m fine with re-signing GZ. I’ve seen enough of Sam Ficken to know what the repercussions of replacing a kicker can do

Top tier players get out of form now and then, good coaching will help remedy that

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
So, Zuerlein had a down year? BFD. I remember Jeff Wilkins having some down years. Wilkins is the Rams' franchise leader in points, btw.

If people want to deny holding their breath, on extra points, with replacement kickers, that's fine.

Speaking of ex-Rams' replacement kickers, here's Cairo Santos from this season:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFpBV6KFllM

If people want to see a broken mental approach, look at Blair Walsh. Dude entered the League the same time as GZ and had a better rookie year. One playoff miss and boom! Dude ended his career missing practice kicks at halftime:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcSWTFtjZKw

Tano

Legend
I think GZ's problem last year was his hamstring issue. I don't think he fully recovered.

And by the end of the year, he definitely was having issues because his kick offs were much shorter.

I am hoping he finds someone to help him keep his back and hamstring injury free.