5 reasons the Rams should run a spread offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://stlsportsminute.com/2013/06/st-louis-rams-5-reasons-the-rams-should-run-a-spread-offense-in-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://stlsportsminute.com/2013/06/st-l ... e-in-2013/</a>

St. Louis Rams: 5 reasons the Rams should run a spread offense in 2013

Corey Rudd | June 15, 2013

During the past two seasons, the spread offense has made its way from the college game to the NFL thanks to the athletic and skilled quarterbacks who have entered the league.

St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford is athletic, but he does not possess the running ability of a Robert Griffin III or even Andrew Luck.

Bradford is mobile though. He is effective when he is able to move the pocket or escape and make throws on the run. But Bradford will not be running the “read-option” anytime soon.

While Bradford does not possess the dual-threat ability of a RG3 or Russell Wilson, that does not mean the Rams can not run the spread offense. In fact, the Rams should embrace the spread offense and utilize it extensively in 2013. Here are five reasons why.

1. Bradford ran the spread offense in college.

While the spread offense gets attention because of the success teams have running the ball out of the formation, it is still well-suited for an aerial attack, which is what Bradford did so well back when he was at Oklahoma.

Bradford obviously was comfortable in the formation. The shotgun allows him to get a quicker read on defenses and it lets him move the pocket more quickly too. The spread could certainly benefit Sam Bradford.

2. The spread will allow the Rams to be move creative with Tavon Austin

One of the great features about the spread offense is the flexibility it offers. Formations can vary and so can the play-calling, which really could benefit No. 8 overall pick Tavon Austin.

The Rams could line Austin up anywhere in the spread and could get him the ball in a variety of ways. Austin could line-up anywhere at any time in the spread. He could also be put into motion more freely in the spread, which could really create a headache for the opposition, who will certainly try to target the explosive play-maker.

The Rams could get Austin the ball via various screen plays, end-arounds and traditional down-field patterns. Running the spread could help maximize Austin’s home run ability.

3. Austin and fellow rookie Stedman Bailey grew up in the spread offense too

The spread suits Austin appropriately, but it is also an offense where his former college teammate Stedman Bailey should feel comfortable. Bailey and Austin were apart of West Virginia’s high-flying spread offense and adjusting to a pro-style spread could make the transition to the pros easier for both of them.

This could be huge for the Rams, who will likely lean on these two young receivers a lot in 2013. Anything that can be done to make them more acclimated to contribute in a big way should be considered.

4. Jared Cook could be dangerous in the spread

Cook’s athleticism has been well-documented and many feel is more of a wide receiver than a tight end, which means the spread offense could suit him very well.

Cook could lineup in the slot and at 6’5″, he will be sure to give Bradford a big target over the middle. Lining up in the slot should make it easy for Cook to get off the line and stretch the seem, opening up short passes to Austin and company and bringing a safety off of deep threat Chris Givens. The spread could be the perfect offense for a player with Cook’s skill set.

5. The Rams lack a true No. 1 running back

With Steven Jackson gone, the Rams will rely on a young group of running backs with limited experience to carry the rock.

The spread offense will allow the Rams to utilize the passing game, as the New England Patriots have done for years, to replace a running attack that may not be up to par.

It is unlikely the Rams will go to a primarily spread offense in 2013, but they should. The personnel is set-up for it and Bradford is obviously comfortable in it.

The offense will be better in 2013 than it was in 2012. It could be a lot better in a spread attack.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think "spread" is the word we wanna use here. It gives visions of Georgia and FLA's offenses. I think the more appropriate word/description would be "mismatch". We have the players to run vertical/seam routes, and the guys to take advantage of the cleared-out short/intermediate zones. All we have to do is construct an offense that flushes out those mismatches and install the plays that take advantage of them when they reveal themselves.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I see Tavon Austin being used like DeAnthony Thomas (DAT) in the "Tazer" position at Oregon. This allows him to get the ball in many ways...pass, shovel pass, handoffs.

Here's a youtube of DAT 2012 highlights. Very similar stuff to what Austin did at WV.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DN8wEPDWhY[/youtube]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DN8wEPDWhY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DN8wEPDWhY</a>

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
X said:
I don't think "spread" is the word we wanna use here. It gives visions of Georgia and FLA's offenses. I think the more appropriate word/description would be "mismatch". We have the players to run vertical/seam routes, and the guys to take advantage of the cleared-out short/intermediate zones. All we have to do is construct an offense that flushes out those mismatches and install the plays that take advantage of them when they reveal themselves.

How about we call it the "My God which one do we cover" :lmao:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamsFanCK said:
X said:

Works for me, bruddah.

For short, we can call it the WTF offense.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
X said:
RamsFanCK said:
X said:

Works for me, bruddah.

:sly: yes.....yes we should haha...Now that really needs to catch on lol

RamzFanz

Damnit
RamsFanCK said:
X said:

Yep, good one.

I also like TFSOT - The Fastest Show On Turf - 2013

Or, the "Where'd he come from, where'd he go" offense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Tailback said:
I see Tavon Austin being used like DeAnthony Thomas (DAT) in the "Tazer" position at Oregon. This allows him to get the ball in many ways...pass, shovel pass, handoffs.

Not sure. Traditionally in that offense the Ducks have QBs that are a threat to run as much if not more than they pass. Now that doesn't mean they can't employ elements of the way the Ducks use DAT. They are very similar type players.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
RamFan503 said:
Tailback said:

Not sure. Traditionally in that offense the Ducks have QBs that are a threat to run as much if not more than they pass. Now that doesn't mean they can't employ elements of the way the Ducks use DAT. They are very similar type players.

You are definitely correct on the running QB aspect regarding the Ducks, although Darron Thomas was not much of a running threat and Bradford is probably a better runner than Thomas (although that may not be saying much). Marcus Mariota is probably the new prototype Duck QB. If he stays injury free this season...holy crap!

Regarding Austin though, elements of the Ducks' Tazer position can be worked into the existing Rams offence IMHO. In addition, the versatility of Cook combined with Austin @ Tazer can really set up some crazy mismatches. I'f I had gone to college, got an MBA in business, and got my black belt in "Power Point", the word for the Rams offense would be "Synergy". But I dropped out of community college and my highest level of education was Army boot camp Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. :what:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Tailback said:
RamFan503 said:
Tailback said:

You are definitely correct on the running QB aspect regarding the Ducks, although Darron Thomas was not much of a running threat and Bradford is probably a better runner than Thomas (although that may not be saying much). Marcus Mariota is probably the new prototype Duck QB. If he stays injury free this season...holy crap!

Regarding Austin though, elements of the Ducks' Tazer position can be worked into the existing Rams offence IMHO. In addition, the versatility of Cook combined with Austin @ Tazer can really set up some crazy mismatches. I'f I had gone to college, got an MBA in business, and got my black belt in "Power Point", the word for the Rams offense would be "Synergy". But I dropped out of community college and my highest level of education was Army boot camp Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. :what:

I wonder what kind of changes we can expect in the offensive system with Kelly gone. BTW - you here in Oregon?

As far as Austin goes, I could see that happen and suspect we will see a lot of similar scheming.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think the hurry up and spread should be used alot more this year, Sam obviously runs it better than a normal offense. Lets play to our strengths.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
RamFan503 said:
Tailback said:
RamFan503 said:
Tailback said:

I wonder what kind of changes we can expect in the offensive system with Kelly gone. BTW - you here in Oregon?

As far as Austin goes, I could see that happen and suspect we will see a lot of similar scheming.

With Huff, Addison, BJ Kelly, Keanon Lowe, and DAT catching what Marcus Mariota is throwing... I think the offense is going to look much closer to the Dennis Dixon Ducks instead of the Darron Thomas Ducks. I almost forgot Colt Lyerla, he is the Duck version of Gronkowski. The new WR coach from Duke has already been making a difference. Barring injuries this could be the best Duck offense ever.

Byron Marshall (who will be better than Kenjon Barner IMHO) and Thomas Tyner (freakishly athletic but a true freshman) will tear it up at RB but I don't see such a reliance on the running game as in the past. If the young LB's can step up, this could be the best Duck team overall ever.

Yes I'm in Oregon, Salem to be exact. Grew up in Warrenton. We may have crossed paths at some time, not many Rams fans in Oregon.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
HE WITH HORNS pleading for speed:
I think the hurry up and spread should be used a lot more this year, Sam obviously runs it better than a normal offense. Lets play to our strengths.

I'm with you on the hurry up offense. Been advocating they do that since the start of last year dammit!

As for the spread, meh. If they like I like it. Unless it doesn't work of course.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Tailback said:
With Huff, Addison, BJ Kelly, Keanon Lowe, and DAT catching what Marcus Mariota is throwing... I think the offense is going to look much closer to the Dennis Dixon Ducks instead of the Darron Thomas Ducks. I almost forgot Colt Lyerla, he is the Duck version of Gronkowski. The new WR coach from Duke has already been making a difference. Barring injuries this could be the best Duck offense ever.

Byron Marshall (who will be better than Kenjon Barner IMHO) and Thomas Tyner (freakishly athletic but a true freshman) will tear it up at RB but I don't see such a reliance on the running game as in the past. If the young LB's can step up, this could be the best Duck team overall ever.

Yes I'm in Oregon, Salem to be exact. Grew up in Warrenton. We may have crossed paths at some time, not many Rams fans in Oregon.

Looking forward to seeing them in action. My youngest is a Duck come Fall. Sure hope they don't have a drop off. Kelly's teams were always fun to watch - even more so than Belotti's. It'd be great if they take yet another step forward with the new regime.

We own a BBQ restaurant and brewery in Toledo, OR which is just east of Newport. If you are going to be out this way, look us up - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.pigfeathers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.pigfeathers.com</a>

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
albefree69 said:
I think the hurry up and spread should be used a lot more this year, Sam obviously runs it better than a normal offense. Lets play to our strengths.

I'm with you on the hurry up offense. Been advocating they do that since the start of last year dammit!

As for the spread, meh. If they like I like it. Unless it doesn't work of course.

I think we'll see some elements of the spread but NFL players are just too good at gap assignments, speed, and awareness for a true version of the spread to work with any consistency IMO. I wouldn't however be surprised to see us spread that line out more and go shotgun most of the time with a lot of no-huddle.

The cool thing that Oregon did under Kelly was that they would do the no huddle, step up to the line so that the D had to come to the line without subs, then pull back and set up the play. Then they would come to the line and snap the ball with a couple seconds left on the play clock. No huddle - but it wasn't necessarily a hurry up. The only hurry up aspect really - besides the no huddle - was that they had so many big plays, they often scored very quickly. But each play took as long as any other kind of offense would have.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
albefree69 said:

I'm with both of you.

I like the idea of "change of pace"... switching the pace in and out of hurry up. Sam does well in up tempo... and accurate as hell on the move.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 with an interesting tidbit:
I think we'll see some elements of the spread but NFL players are just too good at gap assignments, speed, and awareness for a true version of the spread to work with any consistency IMO. I wouldn't however be surprised to see us spread that line out more and go shotgun most of the time with a lot of no-huddle.

The cool thing that Oregon did under Kelly was that they would do the no huddle, step up to the line so that the D had to come to the line without subs, then pull back and set up the play. Then they would come to the line and snap the ball with a couple seconds left on the play clock. No huddle - but it wasn't necessarily a hurry up. The only hurry up aspect really - besides the no huddle - was that they had so many big plays, they often scored very quickly. But each play took as long as any other kind of offense would have.

That sounds very devious. I like it. :yessir:

nighttrain

Legend
X said:
RamsFanCK said:
X said:

Works for me, bruddah.

winner :twisted:
train

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
CGI_Ram said:
albefree69 said:

I'm with both of you.

I like the idea of "change of pace"... switching the pace in and out of hurry up. Sam does well in up tempo... and accurate as hell on the move.

I'm jumpin on your train dudes. The hurry up is exactly what we need and it's gonna be used ALOT. Mark my words and make me slave of the forum for a week or something if they don't lol

Think about it. Austin can obviously play outta the Wideout, Slot, and Running Back positions, Cook can line up at Tight End, Slot, or Wideout, and Kendricks can run outta Tight End or Fullback. The versatility in lining up in multiple formations with the same personnel group is astounding. If this doesn't mean we're gonna see a lot of hurry up, then I don't know what does.

fearsomefour

Legend
The lineup I am looking forward to seeing on the field together (way early for this I know) is Givens, Cook, Austin, another WR and a RB....lets say Pettis and Pead. Lining up with a fairly traditional look, Cook at TE, Pead in the backfield and 3 WRs you can run or pass out of it. Shifting Cook to the slot and moving both Austin and Pead into the backfield offers more options. With Cook in the slot and Austin coming in motion out of the backfield (thus avoiding getting jammed) seems like a matchup nightmare to me. I could see a guy like Pettis being almost ignored in this kind of a line up. Or sub Kendricks for the 3rd WR and you have more possibilities. Cook and Kendricks at TE and you have a power running one back set with big speed outside. Shift Kendricks to the backfield with Austin, Cook to the slot and 2 WRs (Givens, Quick, lets say) and you again have run/pass possibilities. Having the ability to show a two TE set and comfortably go empty backfield can create massive matchup problems....or have a D coordinator see a bunch of pass catchers on the field and run power at a dime D....good stuff.
One thing for sure. If the big plays start coming the pressure will shift right back to the Oline. The most effective way to derail a big play, mismatch offense is direct blitz pressure on the QB. Long has to stay healthy and we have to find an upgrade at LG. Williams is paid $2.7M (last number I saw) this year. I have no idea how the contract is structured, but, I dont think he would have been paid that much (compared to what Smit, Watkins ect.) to not start.