5 Rams That Could Be On Their Way Out Of St. Louis Before Fa

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://ramblinfan.com/2014/02/17/5-rams ... ee-agency/

By Blaine Grisak - Feb 17th, 2014
*Credit to RamBill*

Guard, Harvey Dahl

Don’t get me wrong, I love Harvey Dahl. The guy brings great attitude to the offense and that was shown last season when Sam Bradford went down and Mike Mitchell “taunted” above the injured Bradford and Dahl went after him. Dahl wasn’t having any of it and Bradford and the rest of Rams Nation appreciated that gesture even if it did cost them 15 yards. The thing that Rams Nation does not appreciate about Dahl is that he is costing them $4 million and he is 32 years old. The Rams don’t have much cap space at all and releasing the aging Dahl seems like a given.

Center Scott Wells

When Wells has played he hasn’t done a bad job. The key word there though is WHEN Wells has played. Wells has only played just 19 games in his two seasons with the team while breaking his leg and his foot, thats just over half of the team’s games. Playing only 19 games does not make him worth his $6.5 million that he is costing the team. Releasing Wells would wipe away a $6.5 million cap hold, while placing just $2 million in dead money on St. Louis’s 2014 cap. Wells is 33 and you can bet the Rams would like to get younger at the position.

Cornerback Cortland Finnegan

Although I don’t see the Rams releasing Finnegan, it certainly could be a possibility and something they need to consider. Finnegan hasn’t lived up to his big contract that the Rams gave him when he came to St. Louis, and the Rams need to do something about it, whether it’s renegotiating or just simply releasing him, the Rams need to do something. The Rams could release him early in the offseason and save $4 million on their cap in the process, or they could choose to designate him as a post–June 1 release, which would save them $6 million on next year’s cap while pushing $2 million of the dead money from Finnegan’s deal onto the 2015 salary cap. Don’t count on Finnegan being released however, with Gregg Williams as the Rams defensive coordinator and Finnegan being back healthy next season, the Rams may keep him, just for a cheaper price.

Defensive Tackle Kendall Langford

Langford has produced in his time in St. Louis and produced consistently. If the Rams want to re-sign Saffold though, releasing Langford and drafting his replacement may be something the Rams have to do. Releasing Langford would save the Rams $4 million while also giving the team $3 million in dead money next offseason. This is an unlikely cut, but the Rams desperately need to find some money and this is one of those “business” decisions that they may have to make.

Wide Receiver Austin Pettis

If this move doesn’t come before free agency and the draft, it will more than likely come afterward. Pettis has been a solid receiver for the Rams, but they may have just found his replacement in Stedman Bailey in last year’s draft. Bailey showed a lot of potential to be the same type of wide receiver that Pettis is, if not a little better. One this going against Pettis is that he is one of the few members left from the past regime and Bailey is from the current one. Pettis doesn’t save the team a lot of money in fact he only saves them only just over $700k and would give the team just over $200k in dead money next offseason. The Rams are looking to upgrade at the wide receiver position and there is just no way Pettis has a legitimate future on this team.

RamblingRam

"GO RAMS"

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I can see releasing the first three and even re-signing them at the vet minimum if they want to stay,Langford and Pettis ardunno, IMO if they let Pettis go it'll be because they had a windfall in the draft and I still think he get's a chance to stay in training camp, Langford ,I think he earns his contract every bit as well as Saffold would ,I'd rather draft Saffolds replacement and keep KL ,I think it'd be cheaper as well.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Funny on when someone actually takes the time to do an article, it has already been debated on this board since December! All of us have posted about these players leaving in one way or another next up will be an article on how the Rams need to focus on the OL not only early, but later on in the draft too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Construction of NFL teams has always fascinated me. I can't wait to see what the Rams first offseason moves are. If th offseason was a weekly event I think it would be nearly as fun as watching the games. It is just too drug out.

jjab360

Legend
Langford...NO. Pettis is on a 3rd round rookie contract...why?? Just seemed like they needed somebody to round the list out at that point.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Langford is safe. He's earning his money for the most part.

Pettis is an awesome Redzone threat. He's worth 700k on that alone.

I'm REALLY pulling hard for Barette Jones. He has the talent and is smart. Him stepping up would be huge for our team.

I think it's safe to say we'll have at least 4 new interior lineman by the end of the daft. Hopefully at least 2 can be the answers. If we only hit on 1, Tim Barnes may have to be the answer, kinda scary.

A55VA6

Legend
Langford isn't going anywhere. Wouldn't be shocked with the others.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Langford is a pure beast, no way we let him go. Pettis is a very reliable WR on 3rd or any short yardage scenario with his great hands. I see no reason to let Pettis walk.
Wells is a good center but you can't be a great center with glass bones and a big contract. Dahl is a quality guy if he wasn't ancient for a lineman and paid so much. Finnegan... He just sucks at this point. Show these three the door.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I really think the rams should go with the same wr corp. Most of them have been together for nearly 3 seasons so they should be on the same page. Guys like Quick and Austin have a lot of potential, if they can step it up, rams will have a very good corp of wideouts