5 Rams players who could make their first Pro Bowl in 2018

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20..._medium=recirc&utm_campaign=rail-most-popular

5 Rams players who could make their first Pro Bowl in 2018

The Los Angeles Rams sent seven players to the Pro Bowl last season, which was second-most in the NFL. The group was led by Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley, while all three of the Rams’ special teams players made the trip to Orlando, too.

We all know just how many talented players Los Angeles has on the roster entering 2018, but which ones have a chance to make their first Pro Bowl appearances next season? There are quite a few possibilities.

p
WR Brandin Cooks

In each of the past three years, Cooks has recorded at least 1,000 yards and seven touchdowns. Antonio Brown is the only other player to match those numbers, which shows just how good Cooks has been despite playing for two different teams.

To be quite honest, it’s a bit surprising that Cooks hasn’t yet made the Pro Bowl despite being so consistent. Could 2018 be the year he breaks through? There’s a great chance of that happening, even with all of the weapons the Rams have on offense.

Although he’s going to be the primary deep threat, which should lead to at least eight-plus touchdowns, he’s also going to get a high volume of touches on short and intermediate crossers, as well as screen passes.

The biggest obstacle for Cooks to make the Pro Bowl is the talent around him in Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods. There simply may not be enough targets to go around.

DT Michael Brockers

Brockers is arguably the most overlooked player on the Rams’ roster, especially with the arrival of Ndamukong Suh. However, he’s a fantastic player himself, even without the help of other defensive linemen around him.

He was selfless last season moving from nose tackle to defensive end, bookending the Rams’ defensive line with Aaron Donald. In 15 starts last season, Brockers had 4.5 sacks, a career-high 55 tackles and four passes defensed.

He was a force up front, taking on right tackles and tight ends on a play-by-play basis. While Brockers isn’t going to stuff the stat sheet, he is going to have a big impact on just about every game. The lack of double-digit sacks and eye-popping numbers could be what keeps him out of the Pro Bowl again.

S Lamarcus Joyner

Had he not gotten hurt, Joyner very easily could have made his first Pro Bowl last season. He was Pro Football Focus’ third-ranked safety after pulling down three interceptions (one pick-six) and recording 49 tackles in just 12 games.

Joyner flies under the radar a bit out in L.A. and will likely continue to do so with the Rams’ cornerbacks garnering so much of the attention this season. However, he’s undoubtedly one of the best defensive backs in the NFL, boasting the ability to play deep, in the slot or cover tight ends.

What’s working against Joyner is the depth at safety in the NFC. In addition to studs like Harrison Smith and Earl Thomas, Joyner also has to compete with Adrian Amos, Glover Quin, Landon Collins, Keanu Neal and Marcus Williams.

TE Gerald Everett

The tight end position carries a steep learning curve from college to the pros, which Everett learned last season. Although he made a handful of big plays for the Rams, he saw his playing time decrease as the season went on, partly because of his lack of blocking skills.

In Sean McVay’s offense, one would believe he could become a Jordan Reed-type player, who thrived in Washington during McVay’s tenure. He has a similar skill set with great receiving skills, he just needs to be more consistent.

Coaches have raved about his progress this offseason, so perhaps a breakout is coming. The Rams have a bevy of weapons on offense and their tight ends didn’t exactly dominate last season, but Everett has potential.

LG Rodger Saffold

There’s no denying Andrew Whitworth’s rock-solid play in 2017, but the guy next to him had a great season, too. Saffold was Pro Football Focus’ seventh-ranked guard in the NFL last year, which just goes to show how important he was for the Rams in 2017.

He was particularly good blocking in the running game, ranking third in that department among guards and sixth for all offensive linemen.

Guard is a difficult position to quantify and gain popularity for in the NFL, which is why the most well-known players often get the nod in the Pro Bowl. The Rams are still a team that hasn’t gained national popularity – as evidenced by their disappointing jersey sales – which could prevent Saffold from making it in 2018.

Make no mistake, however: He deserves to make a Pro Bowl soon.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sometimes when you have others around you making the pro bowl, it's tough to get the nod as Donald & Suh are more likely than Brockers, however, Brockers is extremely important to the defensive line and deserves more credit. Everett would be shocking, hoping he just has a better sophomore season and Cooks would not shock me because I believe he's going to make some big plays.

Saffold should have made it last year and this could be his year to be an All Pro and although it's a contract year, I hope he does because he's worked his tail off as to Joyner, well, if he stays healthy Joyner could be the recipient of many passes that are thrown awry by Quarterbacks trying to force the ball into tight coverage, however, I do believe this will be Joyner's last year in horns.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do believe this will be Joyner's last year in horns.

It does feel like he could get caught up in our cap situation. Shame, because he's an excellent player... tough choices coming.

But, for now... this team is loaded.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I wouldn't count out Woods and/or Kupp. Both are capable of pro bowl type seasons.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
How Brockers and Saffold havent made it already is a shame.

Joyner should be there this year and beyond.

Everett is way too optimistic at this point. It's such a tough position to grasp. Every year TEs get drafted high and then disappear into depth charts for years.

Cooks certainly has the talent to make it.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah, the choice of Everett was an odd one and a bit of a reach in my opinion.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yeah, feels like the biggest projection on that list.

Not saying he can’t do it... but if he does... this offense will be nearly unstoppable.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It wouldn't shock me if one of the linebackers made the pro bowl, especially one of the OLB. With that DL in front of them, somebody could break out - an OLB could end up with double digit sacks, or maybe Barron ends up cleaning up so many runners who make it past the line that he gets recognized, or the Rams' defense ends up being #1, and Littleton gets recognition for calling the plays while stopping the run.