5 Blockbuster NFL trades we'd love to see happen at the deadline but won't (FoxSports.com)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
5 blockbuster NFL trades we'd love to see happen at the deadline but won't
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galler...ockbuster-todd-gurley-tony-romo-rumors-102616
By Cameron DaSilva
foxsports
Oct 26, 2016 9:43a ET
091516-NFL-Los-Angeles-Rams-Todd-Gurley.vadapt.767.high.65.jpg

These five dream trades would shake up the NFL
The NFL trade deadline is just around the corner as it’ll be here on Tuesday, Nov. 1. It doesn’t come with the flash and eye-popping moves that the NBA or MLB provide, but there will still be a handful of moves made before next week. In fact, the Patriots have already started making swaps, striking two trades on Tuesday.

Despite the fact that stars will almost certainly be staying put and it’s highly doubtful any big-time moves are made, it’s fun to speculate and imagine.

These five trades are highly unlikely to happen – we know that – but let’s take some time to consider how fantastic these deals would be for the NFL, and how much they would shift the power across the league.

On Tuesday, we looked at five realistic trades teams should make. Now, let's look at some less-than-realistic ones -- and remember, these are most definitely not going to happen.

Photo: Michael B. Thomas
022615-NFL-Dallas-Cowboys-Tony-Romo-2-pi-ssm.vadapt.767.high.53.jpg

The Broncos are stacked at just about every position on the roster. Their defense has no holes, their receivers are Pro Bowl-caliber, and the rushing attack is strong with C.J. Anderson and rookie Devontae Booker. The one area of concern is quarterback where Trevor Siemian has been decent, but not great.

Enter Tony Romo.

The Cowboys have their quarterback of the future in Dak Prescott and they’ve won five of six games with him under center. His emergence has led the Cowboys to question whether Romo should get his job back, so why not trade him? Well, for starters, his contract makes that almost impossible. Second, his trade value is not exactly sky-high at the moment, and this is assuming Romo is fully healthy. However, if the Broncos were to land a healthy Romo for 2016 and beyond, they’d be Super Bowl favorites.

In exchange, the Cowboys would get a much-needed pass rusher in Shane Ray and a second-rounder (maybe) to help build on their young core of players. Ray would probably become Dallas’ best pass rusher right away and would make a nice pairing with Demarcus Lawrence at defensive end. Contractual issues and the unlikelihood of Dallas trading Romo make this a pipe dream, but who says no to it in a parallel universe where money is no object?

Photo: John Grieshop

070916-NFL-ToddGurley-PI.vadapt.767.high.1.jpg

Let’s make one thing clear: This would never happen, especially for the Packers. Ted Thompson hardly ever makes any sort of trades with his latest Knile Davis acquisition being a headliner by Green Bay’s standards. However, with that being said, this would be so much fun to see. The Packers have one of the best offensive lines in football and Gurley would thrive behind it – unlike the blockers he’s currently running behind in Los Angeles.

Eddie Lacy is a free agent after this season and is currently battling an ankle injury, and adding Gurley would allow the Packers to let the big running back walk on the open market. We all saw what Green Bay’s offense looked like when it featured a bell cow (Lacy two years ago), and Gurley would allow that style of play to return – especially with Aaron Rodgers struggling.

As for the Rams, they’d be able to recoup some of the picks they used to trade up for Jared Goff. Seeing how the season has gone so far, it’s clear the Rams need to rebuild, mostly on offense. Randall Cobb would give Goff a more reliable version of Tavon Austin and the picks would allow Los Angeles to add playmakers in the draft. Gurley is wasting his talent behind Los Angeles’ offensive line, and not having a viable quarterback isn’t helping his cause. Set him free, Rams. Set him free.

121415-NFL-Chicago-Bears-quarterback-Jay-Cutler-PI-SW.vadapt.767.high.44.jpg

The Browns are one of a few teams truly in need of a franchise quarterback. The Bears could certainly use one themselves, but Jay Cutler is not their guy. He’s led the Bears to the playoffs once in eight years and isn’t getting any younger. That’s not to say he wouldn’t be a significant improvement for the Browns, though – it’s just time for a change of scenery.

At 33 years old, Cutler is probably past his prime, but he has enough good football left in him to solidify the quarterback position in Cleveland for a few years. Of course, there’s a good chance the Browns would select a guy like Deshaun Watson or DeShone Kizer with their first pick, but defensive end Myles Garrett would be a much better value and is a significantly safer pick. He’s a surefire Pro Bowler for years whereas Kizer and Watson have several question marks.

Cutler is signed through 2020, and the Browns would likely have to rework his $18.1 million-per-year contract, but having a veteran presence at quarterback is what the Browns need.

Joe Haden isn’t the cover man he once was and has dealt with injuries the past few years, but he would immediately become the Bears’ best cornerback. And he’s signed through 2019 and will only be 30 in the final year of his contract.

012214-SW-GI-Jamaal-Charles.vadapt.767.high.83.jpg

The Vikings could obviously use an offensive lineman or two after seeing Sunday’s debacle against the Eagles, but a deal for a tackle is much more likely than this one – which is what makes it so fun. The Vikings have a hole at running back left by Adrian Peterson, and while Jerick McKinnon and Matt Asiata are decent fill-ins, a healthy Jamaal Charles would be outstanding.

He’s obviously not completely healthy at this point in time, but the Vikings – like the Chiefs – would be deep enough at running back to take their time with his recovery process. When he is back and 100 percent, Charles would elevate the Vikings offense significantly. He can contribute in the passing game and running between the tackles, providing great versatility. The Chiefs would be welcome to dealing him, too, given the emergence of Spencer Ware and Charcandrick West. They’re stacked at running back but could use help at defensive end.

Danielle Hunter isn’t a premier pass rusher, but he’s great against the run, just as he was in college. He would immediately become a starter in Kansas City, especially after losing Allen Bailey to IR. Just as the Chiefs are at running back, the Vikings are deep at defensive end with Everson Griffen, Brian Robinson and Hunter. This trade would help both teams at positions of need.

Photo: Denny Medley

Seattle-Seahawks-defensive-end-Cliff-Avril.vadapt.767.high.38.jpg

The Patriots traded away their best pass rusher in the offseason, sending Chandler Jones to the Cardinals for Jonathan Cooper and a second-round pick. That trade hasn’t exactly worked in their favor as Jones is a monster in Arizona and Cooper is no longer on the team. However, they did use the pick (they traded it for two more picks) to select Joe Thuney and Malcolm Mitchell, providing them with depth at guard and wide receiver.

With New England having depth at guard and probably some regret for ditching their best pass rusher, they wouldn’t mind acquiring one to shore up their defensive line, and Cliff Avril would be a perfect guy to get. He’s 30 years old and definitely not past his prime, while he’s also locked up through 2018 making a measly $7.125 million per year. He’s a guy the Patriots wouldn’t have to worry about signing long-term as they would have with Jones. This is key because of the number of free agents they’ll have this offseason: Jabaal Sheard, Martellus Bennett, Jamie Collins, Dont'a Hightower. They can’t resign all of them, so having Avril under contract would be huge.

It wouldn’t be cheap to acquire him, though. The Seahawks could use help at left guard, and Shaq Mason would be a good piece for Seattle to acquire with Tre’ Jackson coming back and Joe Thuney entrenched at right guard for New England. The Patriots would have to surrender a first-round pick, too, if not more. With the way Bill Belichick wheels and deals, though, the Patriots would be OK with sending a pick Seattle’s way (maybe). Heck, they’d probably recoup it by trading on draft day.

The Patriots need pass-rush help, and Avril’s 6 1/2 sacks would undoubtedly help. He’s fourth in the league in that department whereas the Patriots are 24th as a team with 11 sacks.

Photo: Steven Bisig

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd rather not trade away our star running back just because he's having a rough year. Also, Randall Cobb isn't a number one receiver and that's what this team needs; however, Cobb is more reliable than Tavon. I guess it would all depends upon how many picks we'd get in exchange for Gurley too. If we get a boatload, which I'm sure Snead could somehow pull off, I wouldn't mind it too much.
I know it's all hypothetical and I'm :deadhorse:, but I saw this article on Facebook today and was just a little curious as to what you guys would think.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It would depend on what a boatload means. Multiple 1s and I'm interested.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I'd take Green Bay's next three years number 1 picks and a couple second rounders and I would consider it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lolz, like GB would give us more than a single #1 for Gurley. A one and a 2 maybe.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could see Romo traded to a contender. Cant see why Cleveland would trade for Cutler though, unless it was for a 5th-6th rounder. Not a player and a 2nd. They are doing Chicago a favor by taking that salary
I guess I need to look up the realistic trades

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Randall Cobb, their 1 and 2 and I'm so down. Love me some Gurley and I know a lot of you won't like this post but I really think we could use those picks to improve the overall team more than Gurley does. Hell I'd even throw Tavon in the deal too if they add a 3rd.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Randall Cobb, their 1 and 2 and I'm so down.
Never in a quadrillion years would Ted Thompson even consider that.
But I suspect the original article wasn't really dabbling in reality anyway.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I feel like these guys who flourished the first year and dying off the second because maybe they simply don't want to play for the team they are currently on. Like I am beginning to feel that is our dilemma in this time of age. You got players who think they are too good for the team they play with now, and rather get traded to a team they want to be on. Everyone wants to be on the team that are Super Bowl favorites. Seems like we got too many prima-donnas in the NFL nowadays. This is sad if you ask me. I am hoping #30 isn't that guy...If so I would say trade him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never in a quadrillion years would Ted Thompson even consider that.
But I suspect the original article wasn't really dabbling in reality anyway.
Yeah even the author preceded with: "Now, let's look at some less-than-realistic ones -- and remember, these are most definitely not going to happen."
Lol

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah even the author preceded with: "Now, let's look at some less-than-realistic ones -- and remember, these are most definitely not going to happen."
Lol
Awesome.

Maybe we can trade Hekker for a unicorn then.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Even unicorn magic wouldn't be able to drop punts inside the 20 as often as Hekker. No dice.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Even if we got high draft picks in a trade, no guarantee that this group could do much with them... hate to be negative, but not a lot of huge names remain from our haul of picks we've picked up in trades.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The ONLY position the Rams should be making a desperation trade for is OL.