4th Quarter Failings Have Been a Theme in 2023. Why?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Seven of the Rams’ nine games this year have been one-score games entering the fourth quarter.

In the games in which the Rams led by 7 or fewer points, they are 2-1.

In the games in which the Rams trailed by 7 or fewer points, they are 0-4.

(Add to that, the Rams blew a 15 point lead against Indianapolis in the 4th before winning in OT).

What does this tell us?

Are the Rams fading because of a thin and tiring defense?

Are the Rams failing because of an inability to score points when the game is on the line?

Is it play calling?

Is it situational offensive line play?

Youth?

Something else?

At the start of the season, many hoped to see the Rams manage to be “competitive.”

I feel like we’ve done that, but failed to demonstrate that elusive “knowing how to win” quality.

Thoughts?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Are the Rams fading because of a thin and tiring defense?

Are the Rams failing because of an inability to score points when the game is on the line?

Is it play calling?

Is it situational offensive line play?

Youth?

Thoughts?

Could be a combination of ... All the Above. Throw-in a couple awful officials' calls in the Pittsburgh game.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The offense tends to struggle. Probably because we have to throw more when we're behind and the line isn't good enough to hold up. But the defense is the main culprit. One blue chip player. 2 or 3 slightly above average guys and a bunch of JAGS. That tends to get exposed over 60 minutes of play.

Ellard80

Legend
My answer is lack of complimentary football.

All 3 phases tend to gradually collapse. The offense has the most talent (still below average id say) so it needs to do more and it hasn't.

But if you look at all the losses you can see how all phases have worked together to create losses.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The offense tends to struggle. Probably because we have to throw more when we're behind and the line isn't good enough to hold up. But the defense is the main culprit. One blue chip player. 2 or 3 slightly above average guys and a bunch of JAGS. That tends to get exposed over 60 minutes of play.
The line is rated much better at pass blocking than run blocking g so that's not it. McVay simply has am issue getting first downs in the 4th quarter. I'm curious what percentage after the offenses 3 and outs happen in the 4th.

Ellard80

Legend
The line is rated much better at pass blocking than run blocking g so that's not it. McVay simply has am issue getting first downs in the 4th quarter. I'm curious what percentage after the offenses 3 and outs happen in the 4th.
i think you will find that all our metrics will be bad in the 4th.

3 and outs.... giving up 3rd down conversions.... missed FG... ect.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Area 51 Aliens GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

Ellard80

Legend
yeah just a quick glance...

We have given up 7 TD's in the 4th quarter - most we have given up in any quarter,

We gave have scored 3 TD's in the 4th quarter - least we have scored in any quarter.

So yeah its bad all around play.

oldnotdead

Legend
People like to think it's all these huge issues. But the losses when looked at individually show they were for a variety of reasons.

1. Morris' obsession with starting a completely unqualified CB in DK. At least one perhaps two can be attributed to his issues,

2. Point shaving by the refs, Overturning Tutu's clear TD which was the margin of victory. Cost a game. Giving the bogus first down preventing the possibility of a Ram's comeback.

3. McVay intentionally, made the offense one dimensional when there was no reason. His premature abandoning the run exposed an OL that they cobbled together at the last possible minute before the start of the season. Not giving them an opportunity to gell before the season started.

4. McVay's insistence upon sticking with smurf Henderson as his lead RB when Freeman was clearly by a huge margin better.

5. Both McVay and Morris have proved they struggle to make in game adjustments. A prime reason I give Morris a D grade for this season.

Just those issues alone contributed to having this losing record. Before the season began I said this season would be won or lost by the coaches. McVay and Morris are culpable for this record. It's not the players but how they are used. This is more of a coaching issue than a player issue. I've said this repeatedly and in each game, it raises its ugly head. McVay's burnout and Morris' mediocrity are the sole reason this team is where it's at, given the youth on this team,

The losses have a common thread that leads back to McVay and Morris. The reason I say McVay is burned out is because pre-Super Bowl McVay would make in game adjustments and he was excellent at it. Now mentally he's not 100% there anymore. Morris is a big mouth that talks a big game but coaches like a wimp.

I love McVay but it's clear he's not the same guy after his "re-commitment". Personally I never thought he could make it back. As someone who put his heart an sole into my work for over 30 years when it happened to me it blindsided me. Why do you think he even pondered retirement? He allowed himself to be talked into returning. I think it's in the best interest for the Rams to move on.

Morris is a failure as a DC and HC. At best he's a position level coach. He's got no business being a DC. Kroenke and Snead want to "re-model" then it must start with the HC and DC. Look no further than UW because DeBoer runs a eerily similar offensive system in Washington. He could make the best of the personnel that the Rams have. Kalen's background is as an offensive coach. I'm sure he would bring his own DC who runs a very aggressive style that like Staley shows you one thing but gives you something else at the snap.

Dear Mr Kroenke, look no further than Seattle to grab your next HC. Deboer would return the type of offense the Rams ran in 2018. The Huskies aren't known as a running team but they run it well. Even in games where they aren't running well he never abandons it. He's simply more selective how he runs the ball.

C'mon Stan you made a mistake in talking Sean into staying. Kick him up stairs to consultant for a year then let him take a media job. Then go hire the next guru for LA.

That is how you solve the problems on the Rams. It starts at the top. Oh BTW Kalen Deboer is a player's coach. No BS but not a dictator like in New England.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
People like to think it's all these huge issues. But the losses when looked at individually show they were for a variety of reasons.

1. Morris' obsession with starting a completely unqualified CB in DK. At least one perhaps two can be attributed to his issues,

2. Point shaving by the refs, Overturning Tutu's clear TD which was the margin of victory. Cost a game. Giving the bogus first down preventing the possibility of a Ram's comeback.

3. McVay intentionally, made the offense one dimensional when there was no reason. His premature abandoning the run exposed an OL that they cobbled together at the last possible minute before the start of the season. Not giving them an opportunity to gell before the season started.

4. McVay's insistence upon sticking with smurf Henderson as his lead RB when Freeman was clearly by a huge margin better.

5. Both McVay and Morris have proved they struggle to make in game adjustments. A prime reason I give Morris a D grade for this season.

Just those issues alone contributed to having this losing record. Before the season began I said this season would be won or lost by the coaches. McVay and Morris are culpable for this record. It's not the players but how they are used. This is more of a coaching issue than a player issue. I've said this repeatedly and in each game, it raises its ugly head. McVay's burnout and Morris' mediocrity are the sole reason this team is where it's at. Given the youth on this team,

The losses have a common thread that leads back to McVay and Morris. The reason I say McVay is burned out is because pre-Super Bowl McVay would make in game adjustments and he was excellent at it. Now mentally he's not 100% there anymore. Morris is a big mouth that talks a big game but coaches like a wimp.

I love McVay but it's clear he's not the same guy after his "re-commitment". Personally I never thought he could make it back. As someone who put his heart an sole into my work for over 30 years when it happened to me it blindsided me. Why do you think he even pondered retirement? He allowed himself to be talked into returning. I think it's in the best interest for the Rams to move on.

Morris is a failure as a DC and HC. At best he's a position level coach. He's got no business being a DC. Kroenke and Snead want to "re-model" then it must start with the HC and DC. Look no further than UW because DeBoer runs a eerily similar offensive system in Washington. He could make the best of the personnel that the Rams have. Kalen's background is as an offensive coach. I'm sure he would bring his own DC who runs a very aggressive style that like Staley shows you one thing but gives you something else at the snap.

Dear Mr Kroenke, look no further than Seattle to grab your next HC. Deboer would return the type of offense the Rams ran in 2018. The Huskies aren't known as a running team but they run it well. Even in games where they aren't running well he never abandons it. He's simply more selective how he runs the ball.

C'mon Stan you made a mistake in talking Sean into staying. Kick him up stairs to consultant for a year then let him take a media job. Then go hire the next guru for LA.

That is how you solve the problems on the Rams. It starts at the top. Oh BTW Kalen Deboer is a player's coach. No BS but not a dictator like in New England.
Summary:
(OND loves silly tan gents.)

Last edited:

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The offense was supposed to be better than the defense according to ROD preseason. The offense, even though the line has been relatively healthy, has not lived up to expectations... again. Even with Kupp out they still won 3 games.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The easiest to point is use of running game late in game. And I'm not even talking about if McVay is running enough. There are times he is running it but they're in such obvious running downs/situations that they're even less effective. McVay should absolutely run the ball more all game and late... but he needs to do a better job of running off schedule.

Outside of the beginning game script, McVay has a tendency to get super conservative with his pass play choices (old bread and butter plays) and running in obvious situations when things are tight or close.

JBRam77

UDFA

Just those issues alone contributed to having this losing record. Before the season began I said this season would be won or lost by the coaches. McVay and Morris are culpable for this record. It's not the players but how they are used. This is more of a coaching issue than a player issue. I've said this repeatedly and in each game, it raises its ugly head. McVay's burnout and Morris' mediocrity are the sole reason this team is where it's at, given the youth on this team,

This is a BOLD statement. McVay can stay for as long as he wants but he needs better guys around him

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Look how that has worked out for NE.

All coaches, even the best, have a sell-by date.
Ok…but McVay is in his 7th year. Belichick is in his 24th (not even counting his first 5 year stint with the Browns).

So…about those 4th Quarter issues…

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The offense was supposed to be better than the defense according to ROD preseason. The offense, even though the line has been relatively healthy, has not lived up to expectations... again. Even with Kupp out they still won 3 games.
Yes the defense is playing the way we anticipated but the offense is a major let down.

Ellard80

Legend
Look how that has worked out for NE.

All coaches, even the best, have a sell-by date.
That's a pretty poor analogy.

Belicheat wasn't even a good head coach until he was older than McVay.

Billy has been coaching as a HC for 29 years.... McVay in his 7th