49ers T Anthony Davis retires

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
lol what an insane offseason for the 49ers. Wow.
What really pisses me off about the whole fucking thing is 4-5 years of college ball atMichigan and those so called student athletes get paid how much ??? It shows how intense he is as a coach,or how screwed up this new coach is..Really not sure though.

---Maybe John Harbaugh is that cool & 49ers situation is that screwed up ??? Running thoughts.

I know all ( work in SF) the Niner fans that I talk to hate the Yorks...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This thread should be called " 49ers Karma!"

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm loving it, but I don't want them to do TOO poorly this coming season. I want them to be able to split with the Cards and the Seahawks, and I don't want them to get such a high pick that it makes it easier for them to speed up the rebuilding process - either by having a no-brainer pick fall to them or by letting them trade their pick for a bunch of picks to rebuild their shattered depth.

IOW, I want their suffering to last and last.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/07/darnell-dockett-we-will-still-win/

Darnell Dockett: We will still win
Posted by Josh Alper on June 7, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwfjzjq2zmniyjcyn2e0njjlzddjmdbmmmyyntcwnzhh.jpeg
AP

The 49ers lost another player last week when right tackle Anthony Davis said that he would “be back in a year or so” after allowing his brain and body time to heal while sitting out the 2015 season.

Davis joined linebackers Patrick Willis and Chris Borland and defensive end Justin Smith in stepping away from football entirely while players like cornerback Chris Culliver, running back Frank Gore and guard Mike Iupati will be playing elsewhere after leaving the team as free agents. All of those departures came after coach Jim Harbaugh, offensive coordinator Greg Roman and defensive coordinator Vic Fangio left the team and the end result for many is a feeling that the 49ers will be taking a step backward in 2015.

It’s not everyone’s feeling, however. Defensive end Darnell Dockett joined the team this offseason and has faith that all will work out.

“Don’t ask me about who’s retired and what’s going on with football this and that,” Dockett wrote on Twitter. “We will still WIN! Just watch! The story in the end will be that much better!!!!”

Dockett’s right about how good a story it would be if the 49ers do succeed on the field come the fall, but narrative appeal rarely determines winners and losers in the NFL. The 49ers are going to need several new pieces, including Dockett, of their on-the-fly overhaul to make a big impact immediately and finding the happy ending to that story has stymied many teams in the past.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/08/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-contract-nfl/4/

John McClain

✔@McClain_on_NFL

In my 37 years of covering the NFL I've never seen a team have such a devastating offseason as the 49ers.

The NFL beat man extraordinaire, tweeting after the Anthony Davis retirement Friday, and before the trade of Pro Bowl punter Andy Lee on Saturday.
----------
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/08/russell-wilson-seattle-seahawks-contract-nfl/2/

Lordy, what’s left of the Niners?

If you had asked me for the 25 most important 49ers for the near future—and I’m talking players and coaches combined—six months ago, I’d have given you a list something like the one that follows. Look at the list, and see where the people are now:

Player/Coach......................................Current status
1. QB Colin Kaepernick......................San Francisco
2. Coach Jim Harbaugh....................Head coach, Michigan
3. LB Patrick Willis..........................Retired

4. Pass-rusher Aldon Smith................San Francisco
5. T Joe Staley....................................San Francisco
6. Def. coordinator Vic Fangio........Chicago
7. WR Michael Crabtree.................Oakland

8. LB NaVorro Bowman....................San Francisco (coming off serious knee injury)
9. G Mike Iupati...............................Arizona
10. T Anthony Davis........................Retired/sabbatical

11. G Alex Boone..............................San Francisco
12. LB Chris Borland......................Retired
13. TE Vernon Davis.........................San Francisco
14. S Eric Reid..................................San Francisco
15. DE Justin Smith........................Retired
16. RB Frank Gore.........................Indianapolis
17. Off. coordinator Greg Roman..Buffalo

18. S Antoine Bethea.........................San Francisco
19. WR Anquan Boldin.....................San Francisco
20. LB Aaron Lynch.........................San Francisco
21. RB Carlos Hyde..........................San Francisco
22. P Andy Lee................................Cleveland
23. CB Perrish Cox.........................Tennessee
24. CB Chris Culliver.....................Washington
25. Spec. teams coach Brad Seely..Oakland

Final tally:

In San Francisco: 11.
Playing elsewhere: 6.
Coaching elsewhere: 4.
Retired: 4.

San Francisco owner Jed York and GM Trent Baalke have made a calculated risk to move on, not just with the coaching staff but with a slew of key players. It continued Saturday with the trade of Lee to Cleveland. Which is understandable; Lee is 32, and his cap cost of $2.5 million is heavy for a guy who’s still a top-quartile punter but not arguably the best in football, which he was in 2012.

But Lee’s just a brick in the wall. When your coach and three coordinators go … and two promising young players retire by the age of 25 … and your defensive leader retires … and your top wideout heads across town … and two good cover corners go … and a mauling guard goes to a division rival … and when you’re putting your franchise quarterback coming off a checkered season in the hands of a position coach (Steve Logan) who was doing a talk show for the past couple of years…

The one thing the Niners have going for them is that the world will expect them to crash and burn. The players can use that as motivation, and new coach Jim Tomsula can too. But this is a team with some incendiary players who’ve not been part of a bottom-rung team recently (or ever) in the NFL … and they’ll have a first-time NFL head coach shepherding them. Tomsula is well-liked by the players from all reports. But losing does funny things to relationships. The chemistry experiment in Santa Clara will be the most compelling one to watch in the NFL this year.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/11/nfl-young-players-retirement-problem/

retire-story.jpg

Jeff Lewis/Icon Sportswire

The Conversation the NFL Does Not Want to Have
Is the spate of surprising retirements by 49ers players this offseason an outlier or the start of a trend? The league hopes it's the former because it's unprepared to deal with the latter. Plus, thoughts on the NFL's antiquated stance on gambling
By Andrew Brandt

Someday there will probably be an interesting documentary made about all the 49ers players who retired this offseason. While unexpected departures have happened elsewhere—Jake Locker from the Titans and Jason Worilds from the Steelers—the number of eyebrow-raising retirements in San Francisco seems curious.

Perhaps it’s simply coincidence that Chris Borland, Patrick Willis, Justin Smith and Anthony Davis decided to walk away in quick succession, each citing individual circumstances. (It was reported on Tuesday that Eric Reid also has considered retiring if concussions become a further problem.) As much as some would like to connect the dots to possible dysfunction within the organization following the departure of Jim Harbaugh and the ascension of Jim Tomsula to head coach, we’ll likely have to wait a long time for that documentary to possibly reveal something more systemic at the root of these decisions.

The NFL must be hoping there is something unique going on with the 49ers. The retirement of younger players in their primes cannot yet be characterized as a trend, but it certainly can be seen as a concern from the league’s perspective. Let’s examine.

The older guys
The retirements of Justin Smith, 35, and Patrick Willis, 30, don’t set off the alarms that the departure of the younger players do. These two played “short area” positions—defensive end and linebacker—for 14 and eight seasons, respectively. They have been playing with house money relative to NFL career longevity, and now they are deciding to take their chips and get up from the table.

But it’s still surprising to see Willis and Smith walking away. The vast majority of NFL players—no matter what age—don’t retire voluntarily; they are “retired” by teams that no longer need their services. Often when we see players retire a month or two into free agency, it’s because no team is willing to “un-retire” them so they can continue playing. Several teams, including the 49ers, would be happy to employ Willis and Smith. But rather than milking every last drop of football from their bodies (and minds), these two are moving on and seem content.

The younger guys
More intriguing are the retirements of Anthony Davis, 25, and Chris Borland, 24. In the business of football, these are the ages when players traditionally reach their physical and financial primes, moving toward the highest leverage point of their careers. And not only are they foregoing future riches, they acknowledge the 49ers’ contractual right to prorated bonuses and have agreed to forfeit those amounts. This truly shows the depth of their commitment to walk away from football (while negating the inevitable skeptics as to their reasoning).

Borland started doing significant research into brain trauma after suffering a “ding” in training camp, which, of course, was a head injury that persisted and sparked his inquiry. After thoughtful and informed study, he walked away from the NFL. Now Davis has made a similar decision, taking what he calls “a year or two away to allow his brain and body to heal.” While time will tell if Davis actually returns to play—his decision seems to be universally termed a retirement—his reasoning sounds similar to that of Borland’s. He has forecast the cumulative impact of football regarding his future health and, at least for the time being, has opted to stop playing.

In my dealings with players as a former agent, a former team executive and now a media analyst, I have always stressed two tenets to keep in mind: 1) to focus not on how much money you make, but rather how much money you keep; and 2) to treat the NFL not as a career but as a head start to a career. I have always told players that their peers in their college graduating class will be years ahead of them in their career paths when they leave football and enter “civilian life”; they need to use the contacts and recognition that they gain from the NFL to their post-NFL advantage. Davis and Borland have realized, at very young ages, that there is more to life than football.

Bigger issue
The idea of “preemptive retirement” was unheard a couple of months ago. Now Borland and Davis—along with Locker—have stop playing at age 25 or younger. Going forward, with only more knowledge and more resources becoming available about football’s long-term impact on players’ health, it’s hard to believe there won’t be more of these preemptive (and largely asymptomatic) retirements. Again, I am not suggesting a mass exodus from the NFL, but there may be a handful of these every year. And that has to be a concern for the league.

The NFL has settled a massive concussion litigation involving thousands of retired players (it has received final approval, although there are lingering appeals). The settlement, which should cost each owner the relatively minimal amount of approximately $25 million (with some covered by insurance), avoided billions of dollars of exposure, contains no admission of liability, and allows the NFL to claim that all former players are now being taken care of to some degree. However, when players in the prime of their careers decide the risk is not worth the reward, that is an entirely different conversation, one the NFL does not want to have.

Business is booming in the NFL. The most recent franchise sale, the Buffalo Bills, went for a staggering $1.4 billion; broadcast contracts are at record levels; and a team-friendly CBA is in place for five more years. The league has continued to prosper through scandals involving locker room bullying, domestic violence, crises in credibility, perceived hubris, and protracted investigations of the current Super Bowl champion (Spygate and Deflategate). As unique as some of those problems have been, the NFL can handle those threats; they are part of doing business.

Preemptive and asymptomatic retirements of young and ascending players, however, pose an unanticipated threat to the NFL’s dominance.

This is something to watch. Stay tuned.