49ers place CB Chris Cook, C Daniel Kilgore on injured reserve

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...chris-cook-daniel-kilgore-on-injured-reserve/

49ers place Chris Cook, Daniel Kilgore on injured reserve
Posted by Mike Wilkening on October 25, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpthlzjljowjimty0mznkyty1mdljyzvhzgq4mdvjmjrj-e1414273813385.jpeg
AP

49ers center Daniel Kilgore’s season is officially over.

The club announced Saturday it had placed Kilgore on injured reserve with a broken leg suffered in Sunday’s loss at Denver. The 26-year-old Kilgore had started the first seven games in the middle for San Francisco.

With Kilgore out, rookie Marcus Martin is next in line on the depth chart at center.

In addition to placing Kilgore on IR, the 49ers put reserve cornerback Chris Cook on injured reserve Saturday. Cook sustained a hamstring injury against Denver. He was listed as the top backup at left cornerback.

To fill one of the open roster spots, the 49ers announced the re-signing of safety Ray Ventrone, a skilled special teams player. There was no other roster move disclosed Saturday, leaving the Niners one short of the 53-player limit.

With Cook and Kilgore on IR, the 49ers now have 15 players on reserve lists. Cook and Kilgore are two of six players on injured reserve. The club has four players on the reserve/non-football injury list, three players on reserve/physically unable to perform, one player on reserve/suspended and one player on injured reserve/designated to return.

The 49ers (4-3) are on bye.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Alot of people here were saying they were due for some injuries this year looks like you guys were right.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We're gonna dominate that rookie next week. I liked Martin coming out, but he has no chance in my opinion against our line. They already struggle to pass block, and this won't help any.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Alot of people here were saying they were due for some injuries this year looks like you guys were right.
Yep, that's the only reason this is noteworthy. Otherwise it's just placing mediocre & no-name players on IR.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep, that's the only reason this is noteworthy. Otherwise it's just placing mediocre & no-name players on IR.

Kilgore is not mediocre. He's their starting center. Heck, if he wasn't injured he'd be a definite upgrade for the Rams. It will be tough for the 49ers to keep Aaron Donald from crashing the middle in our game against them next week. That's why this is noteworthy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Kilgore’s a promising young player, who took over for veteran Jonathan Goodwin."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lgore-carted-off-with-leg-injury-wont-return/

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We're gonna dominate that rookie next week. I liked Martin coming out, but he has no chance in my opinion against our line. They already struggle to pass block, and this won't help any.

Heres some additional information on this 3rd round rookie 9er OLer Marcus Martin who Mike Mayock said was his top rated center in this years draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/marcus-martin?id=2543670

Analysis

Strengths
Thick and wide-bodied. Walls off and seals defenders. Can work his hips to maneuver and seal. Athletic enough to step to the second level. Plays with his head on a swivel. Good anchor ability in pass protection -- can dig his cleats in the ground vs. big-bodied pluggers and match size with size. Three-year starter with experience at guard and center. Was a 20-year-old junior.
Weaknesses
A bit knock-kneed and pigeon-toed with herky-jerky movement. Soft puncher. Gets top-heavy and bends at the waist. Average initial quickness, balance and sustain. Ordinary hip snap -- power element missing. Limited lateral agility and recovery ability. Struggles to connect with moving targets. Is not a strong finisher or an aggressive go-getter. Does not dominate the way he is capable. Only bench pressed 225 pounds 23 times at the combine.
Draft Projection
Rounds 2-3
Bottom Line
Outstanding-sized, barrel-chested finesse pivot with center-guard versatility. Grades out highly as a position-sustain blocker and possesses untappped strength and power in his body. Lacks desirable grit, toughness and finishing strength to maximize his talent and is stronger than he plays. Has instant-starter potential as a center or right guard, but could stand to benefit from some time to be groomed.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm tired of how effective the 9ers are at plugging unknowns and unheralded guys in without missing a beat. I mean look at their secondary this season it's ridiculous how good they are with the changes. So yeah, I would hope Donald takes his lunch money. Sure would be nice to see the Rams actually take advantage of that kind of thing.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We're so due to beat that team. I think I loathe the Niners more than the Hawks for the first time... ever.